FJ40 Rear-end leaning to right side (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thanks in advance for any input & advice.

My 1974 FJ40 is leaning to the right side in the rear end. The back right wheel well fender is starting to rub on the tire on what is normally small bumps/potholes and the like. I have recently added a rear cargo drawer system, which added about 40-45#'s. But it is very evenly distributed and if anything, the heavier items are on the Left side.

An inspection of the leaf springs - shackles and hangers, there doesn't seem to be any issues (see way too many photos attached below)

On a flat surface there is a height clearance difference (between the top of the tire to the bottom of the wheel fender metal) on the right side of 4 1/4 vs 4 5/8" on the left side. Close to 1/2" difference of clearance. (see also lots of pix)

Shocks seem to be in good/great condition. No bounce or extra play. Firm as expected. I did measure the distance between the top of the shock - down the piston - to the body of the shock. The left shock measured 5 1/8" and the right measured just a bit longer at 5 1/4". (pix below)

So....is this simply a rear shock issue that needs replacement? Or is there something else I am missing?

HUGE thanks for any and all help!

**Edit** Forgot about the 5 pic limit. Will post other pix in response below

Left Front Hanger.JPG
Left Leaf Back.JPG
Left Rear Shackle.JPG
Right Leaf Back.JPG
Right Leaf Fwd.JPG

Additional pix

Left Shock Mes.JPG
Left Tire Clearance.JPG
Right Shock Mes.JPG
Right Tire Clearance.JPG

It's the very flexible frame, twisted into a shape. Some folks have parked it with the lower wheel on a cinder block or some such for some months to try to rectify it. Search for "Cruiser Lean".

I've always wanted someone to take it to a frame shop and have it measured on a rack to prove the theory, but I haven't seen it done.

The springs look original and you're probably experiencing a case of spring fatigue and bushing fatigue, it's possibly time for new springs, shackles, etc.

Hey Blake!

You can probably use new bushings (I can't tell from your pics)... I would replace them with greaseable shackles and pins... That might level it out a bit... As installing new Billstien 5100 shocks might as well.

But, I would also either address the worn out springs or install BOSS airbags... Easy install, about $350 total and they'd allow you to adjust the height of your rear end and eliminate cruiser lean... Just by adding/removing a few psi of air.

Good luck!!

First reaction = 1/2"? big deal! Cruisers lean, it's part of their charm.

You don't give us your tire diameters but it sounds like your springs are shot. Nice new OME 2"ers will fix it right up, won't rub but it might still lean.

Failing that you might try going around loosening all the shackle bolts. If the suspension can't flex it will play hell with how a truck sits.

I think Fast Eddy hits it about frame flex. They're designed to do that but if something is sticking then they'll take a wrong set over time.

You say your FJ40 is leaning to the "right" / "passenger side"? Or is it a RHD Land Cruiser?.....I guess the "Cruiser Lean" takes on a life of it's own, depending on the circumstances and is not biased as to the side that wants to settle.

Cruiser Lean - A mystery fo sho! :hmm:

When I installed new factory springs I still had lean. The frame - when separated out of the vehicle - seemed to sit flat so I don't think that was my problem but I don't remember measuring perch heights. Try loosening the low side rear shackle bolts SLIGHTLY so that the suspension returns to normal after compression a little easier. Mine was always worse after a turn to the opposite side at speed. Pulling up on the wheel well would level things out which is how i figured out the tight shackle issue. The Toyota lean kit, which lowers the high side, can help... if you don't mind a little rear squat. I fabbed up 1" longer shackles to compensate I never tried greasable bushings to see if that would solve the issue so I can't speak to that.

There's a theory that one side of the rig is heavier that the other. The gas tank and the battery sit on the right but I think the engine sits a little left so I'm not certain of the merit there.

Hey Blake!

You can probably use new bushings (I can't tell from your pics)... I would replace them with greaseable shackles and pins... That might level it out a bit... As installing new Billstien 5100 shocks might as well.

But, I would also either address the worn out springs or install BOSS airbags... Easy install, about $350 total and they'd allow you to adjust the height of your rear end and eliminate cruiser lean... Just by adding/removing a few psi of air.

Good luck!!

Hey Danny,

Thanks for the info and insight.

Turns out my right rear shock is blown and that is root cause of my imbalance. So now I am off to find some new rear shocks.

I liked your idea of the BOSS air shocks. So I will do some research on that solution also. I noticed that there are 3 different types of 5100 Billsteins (plain, ride height and reservoir). Any clue which one?

shocks are not responsible for the lean , they just slow down the the springs and absorb "shock".
Leaf springs take care of the ride height and are probably the responsible , so you can use a shim to lower one side or rearching the tired spring pack or use new springs

twisted frame like Fast Eddy mention is another possibility , you can check it by lifting your 40 and use 4 jack stand , one on each corner , under the extremity of the front and the rear bumper , now use small shims to make the bumpers level from right to left with a carpenter level , if you can not make both bumper level all together and you see a stand with no tension , the frame is bend and can be fix with a frame master

Hey Danny,

Thanks for the info and insight.

Turns out my right rear shock is blown and that is root cause of my imbalance. So now I am off to find some new rear shocks.

I liked your idea of the BOSS air shocks. So I will do some research on that solution also. I noticed that there are 3 different types of 5100 Billsteins (plain, ride height and reservoir). Any clue which one?

Scroll down on this link for BOSS bags... I can't believe they are still $349 and free shipping

BOSS Airbag Suspension Load Assist Kit---LAND CRUISER 1963-1990

The Billstein 5100s... I can't recall what I went with... Just 5100s...

Cruisers lean. That's what they do. Don't stress over it. If you are having rubbing issues, extend your bump stops to protect the sheet metal. Shocks are not causing the problem. Weak spring pack, flexy frame, imbalance of weight due to driver, spare tire, gas tank or the slight offset of engine can all be factors. The CCOT lean kit lowers the high side by adding a shim in the pack. Do you really want to lower your 'cruiser? Air bags work but they are expensive and ride quality may suffer. FWIW some folks have experienced the same leaning issue with brand new OME springs.

Both my 40 and 60 lean to the driver's side. I blame it on my weight and the fact that I mostly drive the truck without a passenger to even the load. On both of my trucks the spare tires are mounted on the driver's side as well. Any uncentered weight hanging off the rear of the truck accentuates the problem due to the cantilever effect and increased leverage against the springs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom