FJ40 project build...from Tasmania!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Before seeing your workshop I had imagined my sloping driveway to be the worst of any ih8mud member for that sort of work.

But at least it's on our property where I'm unlikely to get my tools stolen if I step inside for a beer midway through... So thanks for making me feel better about this... :D

Seeing your iron cross makes me think of the couple of air brushes I have here. I've been wanting to test my skills (or lack thereof) in that department but so far I haven't had the courage..

:beer:

PS. Add "drooping door handle" to "cut bezel" on the "must fix list" I'm assembling for you. :lol:

Yea,its been "character building" doing all the work outside for so long...
The way my backyard was modelled by a previous owner,and large slope makes it makes it impossible to build a decent shed,and be able to drive a car to it..
Buuut,that being said,I do the majority of work on my front lawn..bodywork,paint prep,and most other stuff i dont need flat ground for..to be honest its good workin on the shorty out there,its so high up,and theres plenty of space :)

2wd stuff,like my clubsport,its terrible..found a pic of doing a clutch replacement a coupla winters back :)

Hmmm...i really need to sift through the hard drives of various broken old computers..
Could start up a blog.. "tales from the ghetto gutter workshop,est 2002" :p

some of the "early years" stuff,before i got equiptment would be good viewing :)..borrowing the neighbours kids swing set as an "A frame" to do a injected 13B turbo conversion to my first gen RX7..lifting hilux 4x4 gearboxes in with rope and a tree branch laying through the open windows of the lux...ahh,the good ol days :)

Well,plenty of progress made today..trans hump,fuel tank and interior all put back in,all drivetrain hooked back up,intake manifold and most bolt ons done,just gotta do exhaust,radiator,and hook all the wiring and plumbing back up,bleed clutch etc...all the fiddly stuff..

Annnd,before anyone points out the dirty engine and bay,tomorrow after exhaust manifold goes on ill pressure wash it :p

Ya know the most ironic part of these 2 engine swaps??

A third engine swap is being planned while I am still completing the 2nd engine swap :).
Well,the plan from the start has been to eventually convert it to turbo diesel :)

My main goal at the moment is to get it running and regoed,so I can drive it :)
Buut,ive previously owned 2 turbo diesel 60 series cruisers,so I already know a 12HT is the perfect match for the shorty :).

Ive been keeping my eye out for a rusty turbo cruiser donor car locally,missed out on one by 10 minutes a few months back..rusty high roof 60 sahara,12ht,cheap...but,they are still reasonably plentiful in oz,another will pop up :)
Once I get a donor 60,a more extreme build will follow :)

But,ill just be happy getting the shorty to see the road and tracks again in the immediate future..

Well,had a bit more of a go at it after work today :)...it looks like a complete 40 again :)

still got plenty to do,but should be ready for first startup tomorrow arvo :)

Got the little tank up to this stage..finished off hooking everything up under the bonnet,wiring sorted,threw a battery in it..started to wind over,and starter motor stopped grabbing..wound engine by hand a lil,starter grabbed,then let go again..looks like theres just enough grit between crank and flywheel,or in the dowel hole,to kick the flywheel off centre...so motor and box have to be pulled out and pulled down...again :( ...FML :(

Well,problem solvered :)

Pulled seats,fuel tank,transmission cover etc out AGAIN
Dropped gearbox off the back of motor...AGAIN

It turns out some fool (me) forgot to tighten the flywheel bolts :(

Well,flywheel bolts back on,gearbox bolted back on...now need to put tailshafts on and interior back together...AGAIN :(

Well,its alive...again :)
Need to hook exhaust up tomorrow,and do timing,tune carb etc...but it started and ran :)
Been raining most of the day here,but I wasnt letting the rain beat me today :).

Im soaked to the bone,but content :)...time for a shower to warm up :)

Well,the project sorta got stalled...but theres a funny story in it :p.

I put it back together...got it running,still flywheel was loose :mad: :mad:

Sooo...you guessed it..I dropped gearbox AGAIN :mad::bang:

The problem turned out to be the stainless steel adaptor from ford crank to yota flywheel...so,i went bezerk with the locktite,got everything tight...then walked away from it before I decided to pour fuel over it and burn it :censor:

Soooo,I leave it for a few days,and go back to it.

In those few days,the clutch fork pivot ball decided to grow legs,and wander off down to a pub or something...the bastard just vanished :eek: :doh:

Enter spit the dummy,walk off and leave it for a few days round 2.

Well,after my cooling down period,I done some asking around,found out about a rusty 1978 FJ45 ute a bloke was gunna start wrecking out..I drop down,have a chat...and buy the whole bloody ute :)...good 2F,4 speed,decent seats,UHF radio,ramsey electric winch,good alloy tray etc...so ive been stripping it the last couple of days :)..

Pics...

That's got to be a fisherman's truck!

And it's now contributing to the iron ore reserves in your street while you extract the goodies...

:clap:

Parting it out? Why it's just a wee bit surface rust. Common mate, harden up and get her back on the road :)

A yank would propably strip and reshell/rebuild it...but bugger that :p.
still heaps about here in Straya :) lol...turning into a nice day here,just about to go outside and keep stripping old rusty :)

Gotta recuperate some $$...a rollcage,soft top and half doors has come up for sale locally...get the big rig topless for summer :)

With out a doubt this is one of the coolest builds here, reminds me of when I was a kid and doing the same thing....I love your workshop..and your parts bin...and it sounds like we build the same..in/out till you get it right (or close enough) keep it coming

Thanks for the encouragement mate :)
Yea,its been a pain in the arse,but im not giving up on the shorty :)

In theory it should have been one of the simplest builds ive done..no prep n paint,easy to find parts,plenty of room to work in the engine bay/underneath..

But yea,the whole build from the start has been 1 step forward,2 steps back..
I am determined to finish it though :)

Well,another productive day...ripped the tray off old rusty,finished guttin it inside,and pulled the gearbox...
Clutch fork and pivot ball are different :( ...so,as im underneath my shorty swearing,I spotted my long lost clutch pivot ball,hidden near the bottom of my transfer shifter :) :) .

Sooo,put the gearbox back in AGAIN!!!!! :/ ...put the shifter and trans tunnel cover on..realised it wouldnt shift,so,pulled trans tunnel and shifter off AGAIN!! :( ,lined the gates back up,bolted trans tunnel and shifter on....yes,you guessed it,AGAIN!!! :p ..put tank and seats back in...yea,been busy.

Tomorrow after work ill put the tailshafts back on,replace acccelerator cable after it became my "earth strap" and melted itself...(always make sure earth points are clean and tight,I learnt the hard way if earth straps loose,the current travels through the throttle cable),few other bits n pieces,and its nearly driving again :)

Man i can't beleive how easy it looks to get a 45 down there:beer:
Thats how i work at home.
No garage.

Well,its running and driving again :).

needs a bit of fine tuning,but it seems to go real well :)

back up on the lawn now,ill do some final assembly over the next few days..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom