FJ40 floor mat options/opinions?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've gotten my '73 to the point where it is back on the road after 20+ years of sitting. Now I need to address the topic of floor mats. I purchased my FJ40 from the original owner and he gave me a LOT of misc. parts with it. I've got a carpet set (both sides, center hump and cargo area) and a one-piece rubber front set. The carpet set is kinda rough (mainly on the drivers side) but the rubber one is actually in really good condition.

My first question is......what the heck are the snaps for?? Did these originally come with the male snaps and you were supposed to install those on the floorboards, then snap the mats to them? Both the rubber on and the carpet set have snaps but there are no snaps on the floor of my FJ40.

Second question.....what does everyone recommend for mats? I've seen the "dimpled" ones at CruiserCorps and they look nice but how do they fit? These look great, but more "modern" and not like something that would have come factory in the 70's. I've also seen the ones on Ebay that come from Signapore. They have the old Toyota Logo and say "TOYOTA" on them, so they look more original, but I'm guessing the fronts need cut to fit around seat legs, heater hoses, etc. and I'm leary of the quality. Both of these options are 1/2 the price of the REALLY nice one-piece front mat from CityRacer that looks awesome. I'm just wondering what the experiences are with these different options.

The floor in my FJ40 is nearly perfect so I'd like to protect it. Its not a daily driver so it won't get abused, but I don't want to worry about it when the kids jump in. Thanks.

fj40-4.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the set from CruiserCorps. Definitely looks tough but not nearly as OE. These would be $240 for fronts and rear.

1678125333041.png

1678125380626.png

There is the City Racer option.

@rkymtnflyfisher Yes...and that looks really REALLY nice. I have no doubt it is very good quality, but I have 2 issues. First...my transmission hump paint is beautiful and I don't need to cover it. Second....that's just the front section and it's almost double the cost of both of the other two options that cover the front AND rear.

I've got stuff from CityRacer and it's great so I'm sure that mat is legit. If the other options are junk I will save my pennies and spring for it, but if the other less expensive mats are decent I'll just go that route.

20230304_121741.jpg

Thats a clean, really clean 40, nice. I would lift the mats often to prevent any moisture/condensation starting the little rust dots.

A stk 40 didn't come with carpet or snaps. The stk rubber matt is closer to cityracers version and i think it says Toyota on it. It's 1 piece covering the hump and foot wells.
Post a pic of your rubber one.

@peesalot Thanks! That's the original factory upholstery too. Pretty crazy how well this thing was preserved.

Those are the old carpet mats....they aren't in as good of shape as they look in the pic. I just set them in to keep my shoes off the floor while I drove around on Saturday. They aren't staying in, and I would be leery of putting carpet in for the exact reason you mentioned....MOISTURE.

@pb4ugo I will get a picture of the rubber mat tonight when I get home. It doesn't say TOYOTA on it so I'm assuming its not factory, but it definitely has snaps. Its odd because the holes on the transmission tunnel don't match my shifters (transmission, transfer, and OD) so it makes me think the original owner maybe got it from someone else and never used it? Who knows, but I'll post a pic tonight.

Last edited:
Here's a pic of my rubber mat. It's in near perfect condition (other than a little dirty and folded) but I'm not sure it fits in an FJ40. The gear shift holes don't seem to match but maybe I'm just missing something?

20230306_165612.jpg

CCOT had (past tense) something they call an Aussie mat that was molded PVC. Its been out of stock for many many moons but the thing looks like its built like a tank and would probably really cut down on road noise (pics still on their website) If anyone happens to know another avenue of getting one of these Aussie mats...please post up. I'd love to try one myself

CCOT had (past tense) something they call an Aussie mat that was molded PVC. Its been out of stock for many many moons but the thing looks like its built like a tank and would probably really cut down on road noise (pics still on their website) If anyone happens to know another avenue of getting one of these Aussie mats...please post up. I'd love to try one myself

I don't care for the fitment of mine.

@sogncab That is exactly the kind of info I was hoping to get from this post. I want to hear what people who actually own the different styles think of them.

So no one has explained why there are button snaps on both the rubber and carpet ones I have. Any idea?

Yea that one on the back of your Spyder (those are awesome, I had a 1970) isn’t from a FJ40. My rear mat is from Specter Off Rod. It’s super heavy duty rubber Diamond plate. I made my fronts from a roll of silver diamond plate rubber from Lowe’s. It sounds cheesy but turned out pretty good, and way cheap. I’ll see if I can fi the pictures.

I have the cool cruisers front and back ones that. I’m not overly excited by them. The back mat is too short and doesn’t fully cover the floor. I took the front out temporarily because we’ve had a lot of rain and felt moisture was trapping underneath.

Here is a link. Personally would probably go the city racer route if I could do it again.

Link to what I have:

@igotta40 I am starting to realize that. Not only are the shifter holes totally wrong, the edge that would meet up to the seats has no cutouts and wouldn't fit correctly at all. Luckily the original owner lives about a mile from my office....I'll ask him if he recalls the details on that mat.

**nice catch on the Spider. It's a 1971 two owner car that had been parked since 1985. I never thought I'd say this about a Fiat but it is a completely underrated little sports car!**

Based on the online pics I would say the cruisercorps mats are the most functional. They seem to be cut perfectly to fit every nook and cranny AND the dimples should allow air underneath to eliminate any potential moisture problems. Can anyone that has them chime in with an opinion on quality and fitment?

I honestly kinda dig the ebay ones. They definitely have the 70's vibe. My main concerns would be the quality (thickness) of the rubber and more importantly the fit of the front mats. If anyone has them could you please post pics of how they look when you finish cutting them to fit please?

Thanks again for all the input. Please keep it coming.

Last edited:
Yea my 124 Spider was a 1970 but way ahead of its time. 5 speed overdrive trans, 4 wheel power disc brakes, twin cam aluminum head, very few other cars in the US had all that at the time.

Has anyone bought these? I'd really like to know how they fit (after cutting) and if they are decent quality.

1678202785822.png

@igotta40
AND the dimples should allow air underneath to eliminate any potential moisture problems.

Eliminate is a big word. I hose/wipe down a bunch of that stuff with a rust inhibitor. I prefer LPS-3, but there are plenty of products with similar qualifications.

I have a rear floor with a lot of surface rust. A rubber mat, with a piece of carpet on sitting on top of it. I keep that pretty well soaked trying to keep tinworm out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom