Fj40 Drivetrain swap from Lx470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1964 Fj40 that I am retromodding to be a rock crawling rig. I bought a running 1999 lx470 to flip for a profit, but ended up considering the idea of swapping that drivetrain(Engine, transmission, transfer case, and rear axle) into the fj40. The original plan was to swap a Cummins R2.8 into it but I think the lx470 drivetrain will be an easier and cheaper to swap. The Lexus has 280,000 miles with the 2uz-fe engine. The biggest issue I could see would be that I think the Lexus wheelbase is about 20 in longer than the Fj40. that brings up the question of how hard is it to make up custom driveshafts and stretch the Fj40 wheelbase, as they linkage for the axles would need to be done anyway. I have not been able to find a thread on someone doing this swap yet, so I figured I would make a thread and ask for advice and see if anyone has ever done it.

I have a 1964 Fj40 that I am retromodding to be a rock crawling rig. I bought a running 1999 lx470 to flip for a profit, but ended up considering the idea of swapping that drivetrain(Engine, transmission, transfer case, and rear axle) into the fj40. The original plan was to swap a Cummins R2.8 into it but I think the lx470 drivetrain will be an easier and cheaper to swap. The Lexus has 280,000 miles with the 2uz-fe engine. The biggest issue I could see would be that I think the Lexus wheelbase is about 20 in longer than the Fj40. that brings up the question of how hard is it to make up custom driveshafts and stretch the Fj40 wheelbase, as they linkage for the axles would need to be done anyway. I have not been able to find a thread on someone doing this swap yet, so I figured I would make a thread and ask for advice and see if anyone has ever done it.
I’m in the process of a 2UZ swap but I would not recommend using the 100 series frame and axles. Keep a 40 a 40 with the frame and axles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom