First time pig owner/LS swap. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Screenshot_20220809-160302_Brave.jpg

How about this for a mystery. I got the truck back and carb seems fine. However the distributor? When you press down on it at the base or cap you can kill the engine.

How about this for a mystery. I got the truck back and carb seems fine. However the distributor? When you press down on it at the base or cap you can kill the engine.
How old are the cap & rotor? Wires all snug?

So, the saga of trying to get the pig to run has it sitting in the driveway while I regroup. This project has like many others quickly escalated.

I met with a local pig owner that has a well running truck with a 2f. He brought me a few carbs to try he had laying around after his TBI swap. While he was here, I mentioned Landcruiser matt and his ignition and carb kit. That is around $800 I believe. I'm already in $900 between parts and labor and still have a s*** running truck. I told him my plans for essentially daily driving the pig with A/C and sometimes needing to pull a trailer (to the metal supplier). He ensured me even the well running 2f would struggle with the demand. He has a 5.3 ls swapped 62 and.......

I just purchased a 2004 suburban to do a transplant.
I have been nervous to do this as the pig is all original and I tend to try and keep things in originalish form, however i do not think i can get away with A/C and driving it to the NC mountains with kids and a trailer and keep the 1F. I have a 2f core but am very uninterested in spending the money to rebuild it and still be underpowered.
I'm hoping to keep the transmission and Tcase intact and do just the engine. I have not done an LS swap before but have R&R'd several engines, so I have a grasp on it.

With all of that said, I'd appreciate any and all criticism and suggestions. I am hoping due to cost that the SBC marks adapter can be retrofitted to the LS as they should share the same bellhousing bolt pattern.

Be prepared for criticism from the purists here. But, for your intended uses, you'll be better off with the swap and there are many on this board who can help you through it. Certainly you can struggle on and eventually make the F engine work. Among the benefits of your proposed swap will be less weight up front, more power, better gas mileage, exponentially better and cheaper parts availability and wider availabilty of mechanics familiar with the most widely used engine in the U.S., the small block GM V8. SBCs have been a common swap into Cruisers for 50+ years.
Ron @scrapdaddy has perhaps the best example of your proposed swap. Devin @RUSH55 is working through his swap right now. Both are using different transmissions. In my own case, I have an older TBI 350 in front of a Ranger overdrive and Toyota 4spd and tcase. Comparing the driveability of my Pig with that of the brand new FJ40 we bought back in 1973, it's night and day and your project will be even better.
Don't know the shape the Suburban you bought is in, but some cost recovery could come from parting it out. I bought a $500 '93 GM pickup to harvest the TBI and ended up parting the rest of it out for $2900.

Last edited:
Flip through this one
Doomer’s is more what would be considered “budget” sourcing most of his parts through scrap yards, Rock Auto and Amazon. You probably won’t be able to pull off a conversion lower. His also was already converted to Chevrolet when he picked it up.

Last edited:
Flip through this one
Doomer’s is more what would be considered “budget” sourcing most of his parts through scrap yards, Rock Auto and Amazon. You probably won’t be able to pull off a conversion lower. His also was already converted to Chevrolet when he picked it up.

Yes a few of us have gone the LS route. Post 959 has a list of most of what I bought. I am going to try to link it, but I haven't had good luck with that. There are few things that I didn't list that would probably nickel and dime you a little, but not out of hand. Might as well get Power steering while you are in there too. I am very happy with the Bronco box and the price is hard to beat. The one thing I would not skimp on is the sensors. I know my list has Rock Auto cheapies, but I ended up needing all new sensors and just bit the bullet and got OEM.

good luck, we are all here to help.

Yes a few of us have gone the LS route. Post 959 has a list of most of what I bought. I am going to try to link it, but I haven't had good luck with that. There are few things that I didn't list that would probably nickel and dime you a little, but not out of hand. Might as well get Power steering while you are in there too. I am very happy with the Bronco box and the price is hard to beat. The one thing I would not skimp on is the sensors. I know my list has Rock Auto cheapies, but I ended up needing all new sensors and just bit the bullet and got OEM.

good luck, we are all here to help.
Thanks for that link!
Now my first question to the group would be should I feel good about keeping the stock Toyota transmission? It works great and I like to shift.
The truck I bought for the swap has a known good 4l60 4wd trans. If I keep the Toyota trans it looks like I need the Marks 713026-ek kit. man is it pricey at $2,585.45
Anyone think I can use the 712532 $404.64 and make my own mounts and buy a clutch kit from speedway for like $600?

Most people that stay with a Toyota Transmission upgrade to the H55. I didn't do that, I used the 4L60 my engine came with. The Advanced adapter for the 4L60 to my NP205 was about $800. $2500 for an adapter and crossmember sounds like a lot but I am sure it's a work of art. I assume you have a 4 speed now and if I were going the work of an engine swap, I would shoot for the 5 speed or the automatic. You would be turning around 2800 at 75 mph without an over drive. I assume 3.70 gears with a 33 inch tire. for reference, I have 4.10 gears, 35 in tire and turn 1900 at 75 mph.

With 33/1050r15 tires (actually 32" tall), stock 4.1 gears and a 27% Ranger overdrive, I'm at 2350 rpms at 75 mph. The Ranger is noisy and only used sparingly mostly on Interstates. If I had it to do over again, I'd do the 4L60 and the Toyota tcase in a heartbeat, especially on a budget build. You have the transmission in hand and adaptors are cheaper. But I think I've heard you need to use a 2wd 4L60 for the conversion. Others should chime in. Use the money you save for power steering. You'll thank me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom