Figured I'd join in on the fun - '88 FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Get a used passenger side seat bottom in good condition.

2.Remove your seat and take it to an upholstery shop with the seat bottom.

3. Ask them to replace the vinyl around the bottom of the seat cover. Tell them that the vinyl should go all the way to the seat back joint on the side closest to the door ( a passenger seat will have cloth material here close to the hinges.

4. Tell them to grind down the metal frame that has the sharp edge on it that is tearing the vinyl.

5. Get them to install new foam for the seat bottom and back (that they cut and shape).

Drive to an upholstery shop (or two) first if you need an estimate. had all this done for about $125. in 2018. Major upgrade in comfort. And you can't even buy the replacement foam for this little money.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Next up on the list before I really dug in and started baselining this thing - those janky fog lights! The PO had obviously done a sweet install job here....different gauge wires twisted together and electrical taped, dangling switch, etc. I was glad to see them gone!

Edit: Added a picture of the interior showing the fog light switch that the PO sent a while back. This shows the true craftsmanship involved in installing these fog lights --

Last edited:
She cleaned up really nice. Congrats on a great looking 62.

Ordered a bunch of stuff from the local dealer a few days ago and changed the oil and spark plugs in the meantime to keep me busy. I ended up using Rotella T5 15W-40 and a Baldwin B2 filter. I've been all over Mud looking at what oil everyone uses and it left my head spinning honestly lol. I figured I would try this out for now and possibly change to something else next time if necessary.

Picked that nice package up from Toyota yesterday...man I swear it is always like Christmas when you snag a big ole box of OEM parts from the dealer :D
Box included dizzy cap, cap gasket, rotor, plug wires, fuel filter, magnetic drain plugs for the diffs and transfer, shifter bushings, and some other smalls.

Not sure if it is good or bad, but ignition items mentioned above literally looked like they had never been touched by human hands. The distributor still had the OEM cover on it and all of the plug wires still had the factory routing paths with the little plastic clips. Plug wires say Yazaki 1987 as well. Honestly this is probably the first time this had ever happened to me so I easily got distracted in all of the nostalgia. The one problem with this is that it took me about 4x longer than it should have to do this job because I was obsessed with making everything look factory original 🤣

Beautiful truck, I hope that it gives you years of great service.

Your oil and filter choices are spot on. Good job. Truck continues to impress.

Some folks like to find trucks that have been meticulously maintained, but to me it really depends on who has done the maintenance and how it was done. As for me, I'd rather see a truck like this that runs fine but has never been messed with. When you do the work, you'll know exactly when it was done and that it was done right. A good example of this is buyng a 100 series that is in need of a timing belt vs. buying one that the seller "says" it was done. I 'd rather do the work myself than to trust that somebody else did it right. When it comes to these trucks, I don't even trust that the Toyota dealer did right by their work.

Your oil and filter choices are spot on. Good job. Truck continues to impress.

Some folks like to find trucks that have been meticulously maintained, but to me it really depends on who has done the maintenance and how it was done. As for me, I'd rather see a truck like this that runs fine but has never been messed with. When you do the work, you'll know exactly when it was done and that it was done right. A good example of this is buyng a 100 series that is in need of a timing belt vs. buying one that the seller "says" it was done. I 'd rather do the work myself than to trust that somebody else did it right. When it comes to these trucks, I don't even trust that the Toyota dealer did right by their work.
I couldn't agree more Dave. I was especially drawn to this truck after seeing it in person and realizing that it was legitimately almost all factory original. The more I dig in, the more I find things that have literally never been touched since the old girl was new which I love. The plan is to slowly go through everything to make sure the keeps running and driving great for years to come!

I wish my '88 62 was half as nice. Welcome!

I was able to spend a decent amount of time on my rig during the day Saturday knocking out some small projects. I ended up changing the fluids in both diffs and replacing the drain/fill plugs with magnetic hex plugs which went surprisingly well since I was expecting the old ones to be rounded off like the original ones on my FJ40 were. Next I moved on to replacing the old shifter bushings which weren't terribly bad to begin with, but I could definitely tell a huge difference after putting the fresh ones in.

Finally got a little assistance from my wife to flush the power steering system which was surprisingly easy to talk her into doing. Normally she would give me hell since she knows that most "easy" jobs end up taking twice as long as I advertise them to be. I love having her help me with projects on this thing because she ends up having a blast and falling in love with it a little more every time! The fluid definitely looked like it was ready to be replaced so i'm glad I did it

Congrats Bryson ,

that truck is Cleaner and Nicer then the one on Jay Leno's Garage ! :smokin:

Nice Score ..................

Spouse buy in is “YUGE”!🤪
Strong work!
Haha absolutely! She has zero interest in learning to drive the 40, so she's pretty excited about driving the 62. It's all a part of my master plan :cheers:

Congrats Bryson ,

that truck is Cleaner and Nicer then the one on Jay Leno's Garage ! :smokin:

Nice Score ..................
Thanks Matt!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom