Builds Family Hauler: 1997 Night Shadow Pearl FZJ80 (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My Night Shadow Pearl is due for a paint job. The clear is gone from the hood and the driver's side rear fender has bubbling clear.
IMG_4472 by Jonathan Jones, on Flickr

So finally back from the shop. Couldn't be happier with the quality of repair. Now to the convince the wife I need a bowfin rack!

IMG_0311.jpg

Somehow the microphone to the head unit got pinched or cut when they pulled the headliner so that is the next issue to address

Did some last minute Christmas shopping for myself since I was so excited to get it back. The first of many purchases from @NLXTACY I'm sure

Had to go pick up a sister in law in Atlanta. After that 5+ hours in the truck and being 6'3" my back and hips were super stiff (getting old sucks) the @landtank seat extension brackets are an absolute necessity

Also picked up the mirror arm block and a Gentex 453 mirror that I'll have installed when I get the audio shop to repair the microphone.

Think that after that's done the next big purchase will be the @Delta VS center console but have to recover from Christmas first

Last edited:
So finally back from the shop. Couldn't be happier with the quality of repair. Now to the convince the wife I need a bowfin rack!

View attachment 2165127

Somehow the microphone to the head unit got pinched or cut when they pulled the headliner so that is the next issue to address

Did some last minute Christmas shopping for myself since I was so excited to get it back. The first of many purchases from @NLXTACY I'm sure

Had to go pick up a sister in law in Atlanta. After that 5+ hours in the truck and being 6'3" my back and hips were super stiff (getting old sucks) the @landtank seat extension brackets are and absolute necessary.

Also picked up the mirror arm block and a Gentex 453 mirror that I'll have installed when I get the audio shop to repair the microphone.

Think that after that's done the next big purchase will be the @Delta VS center console but have to recover from Christmas first
Looks great. You will not miss that roof rack. I removed a factory one on my first 80 series and had the roof resprayed. I was fortunate my current 80’s did not have factory racks. Such a clean look. Oh, and you will love the @dogfishlake (Bowfin) roof rack.

Looks great. You will not miss that roof rack. I removed a factory one on my first 80 series and had the roof resprayed. I was fortunate my current 80’s did not have factory racks. Such a clean look. Oh, and you will love the @dogfishlake (Bowfin) roof rack.

Very glad to have it gone. Definitely cleaner look. From searching through other threads they look even cleaner with the ribs removed but since there was no rust there it was hard to justify the extra cost. Especially since I’m just going to cover it anyway.

I really like the look and build quality of the @dogfishlake Bowfin rack. I do plan on buying one at some point, but we are due to have our second boy in a week so don’t really need a rack right now. Plus spending way too much money on double strollers, car seats, etc:bang:

Last edited:
So I would never tell her this but my very pregnant wife popped out he screw for the rear passenger grab handle trying to get out

I found the plastic cap but can’t find the screw anyone know what size it is?

D4E049F0-3FF6-49C8-A141-DB43543A888D.jpeg

Trying to drag it into the 21st century since this is my daily driver

Got a Gentex 453 installed with @NLXTACY Mirror Arm

IMG_0341.jpg

Stole the idea to install LS400 visors since the OEM passenger one kept falling out, highly recommended upgrade

IMG_0342.jpg
IMG_0343.jpg

Also love the @NLXTACY TEQ sticker upgrade over the ARB

IMG_0345.jpg

So the rear speaker grills have been driving me crazy as they kept falling down. I think to really secure them properly would require pulling the headliner.

It’s purely a cosmetic issue as those speakers don’t work. So I pulled the speakers and stole the shaky mirror zip tie fix and secured them to the speaker brackets.

May replace them with an aftermarket speaker and grill at some point but pretty happy with this fix for now.

4E7B06A9-2779-49DA-BADE-13472F1E5414.jpeg

I've always been a 'Toyota guy' since high school when we used to go exploring through fields/back roads in my buddy's 1988 Toyota pickup. I discovered land cruisers after I wrecked my 1997 Toyota pickup and was looking for something bigger/more comfortable. I ended up with a 1999 locked 100 series that met its demise secondary to outside forces. However I discovered this forum during that time and really fell in love with the 80 series.

So after many years of wanting an FJZ80 I finally purchased one! I'm very much a newbie so please point out anything I could/should address

One of the guys at work bought and restored it several years ago and decided he wanted to get back into racing Porsche's. He bought it out of Texas with 185k on it. When he got it there was no rust, it's triple locked, 2.5 in OME lift, ARB bumper, winch, LED lights, and custom roof rack. Shortly after buying it the head gasket blew and ultimately decided to replace the head gasket, put a new short block from Toyota in it along with all new belts/hoses/water pump/radiator/master cylinder/crank seal and harmonic balancer/knuckes rebuilt

In addition to this he put in all new leather seat covers in all 3 rows, new steering wheel and shifter done by craftcustoms, new carpet, new Kenwood stereo, back up camera, LED lights, paint correction, ceramic coating, weather tech mats, and of course a BH3d cup holder

So its pretty much been baselined already for me. But I still have a few small mods in mind.

There are a couple of issues that still need to be addressed. The roof rack is shaking a bit and apparently the screws have started to wear through the roof? Sounds like i need to find a body shop to pull the headliner and the have it bolted on securely. Anyone know a reputable body shop in Chattanooga TN that would be able to do this?

The second more minor issue is the driver side rear upper speaker grill has fallen off

View attachment 2088408

View attachment 2088409

View attachment 2088412

View attachment 2088413

View attachment 2088414
Sweet looking rig. Can I ask how much you were able to pick it up for?

Smart man. Doing it right.

🤣 I know how to not get killed

In her defense after replacing it the body shop must have either barely threaded it in there or just left it out because it would take a lot of force to dislodge

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom