Fall Crawl Comms (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cool. I whip up a CHIRP file with the CLCC GMRS and the 2M you posted earlier and flash what I have before I leave.
Could you share that? It would help program my four that I have (and willing to share them to others)

Cool. I whip up a CHIRP file with the CLCC GMRS and the 2M you posted earlier and flash what I have before I leave.
I think we have that already... @emorth?

Could you share that? It would help program my four that I have (and willing to share them to others)
I don't want to gum up the works here. If Ed @emorth already has a CHIRP file, then we should all use the same one for the event.

Yes, I have a CLCC chirp file. It will be posted on our web site shortly = @EstMedicinaLuto . It has just the CLCC GMRS freqs as shown on the chart above and also the weather channels. I will make a second one that includes the ham freqs and local ham repeaters.

Just to avoid confusion regarding the coverage chart above, that is the talk-out (radio to repeater) area where a radio could access a repeater if there was one available in the green area at a high (mountain top) elevation. The only ham repeaters in the area are on the other side of the big mountain to the southeast and may or may not be accessible from the camp, TBD. They may be accessible if you are on top of the mini-mountain that runs through the Gore park.

Below is the coverage area chart (map & topo) from a handheld radio in the camp - very small green coverage area. Another radio would have to be in the green area to hear the transmission. Marker is the location of the radio - camp VI. The mini-mountain that runs through the Gore park blocks coverage to the south & east. The scattered green blobs are on the tops of the adjacent mountains which are higher than Gore's mini-mountain.

22.jpg

If we can get the portable repeater in the right location on top of Gore's mini-mountain, this will be the coverage area. Much better. The marker is the location of the repeater.

11.jpg

A wide area view. Note how the big mountain blocks our repeater coverage to the southeast. We may have coverage all the way out to the main road.

repeater coverage wide.jpg

Disclaimer: These are computer generated (free software) propagation charts. Radio waves can do some really weird stuff sometimes, so this is just a computer's guess as to how is will work.

That is the correct choice. I have both repeaters programmed along with the simplex freqs posted. We'll see what happens.
Have you had success with using the Baofung units on GMRS freqs? I've got a bunch of those.

I use a Baufung uv5 and uv8 and they work great with the GMRS channels. But it is all about the antennas on the Baufung.

Yes, I have a CLCC chirp file. It will be posted on our web site shortly = @EstMedicinaLuto . It has just the CLCC GMRS freqs as shown on the chart above and also the weather channels. I will make a second one that includes the ham freqs and local ham repeaters.

Just to avoid confusion regarding the coverage chart above, that is the talk-out (radio to repeater) area where a radio could access a repeater if there was one available in the green area at a high (mountain top) elevation. The only ham repeaters in the area are on the other side of the big mountain to the southeast and may or may not be accessible from the camp, TBD. They may be accessible if you are on top of the mini-mountain that runs through the Gore park.

Below is the coverage area chart (map & topo) from a handheld radio in the camp - very small green coverage area. Another radio would have to be in the green area to hear the transmission. Marker is the location of the radio - camp VI. The mini-mountain that runs through the Gore park blocks coverage to the south & east. The scattered green blobs are on the tops of the adjacent mountains which are higher than Gore's mini-mountain.

View attachment 2077225

If we can get the portable repeater in the right location on top of Gore's mini-mountain, this will be the coverage area. Much better. The marker is the location of the repeater.

View attachment 2077226

A wide area view. Note how the big mountain blocks our repeater coverage to the southeast. We may have coverage all the way out to the main road.

View attachment 2077227

Disclaimer: These are computer generated (free software) propagation charts. Radio waves can do some really weird stuff sometimes, so this is just a computer's guess as to how is will work.
I can upload the chirp files as well.

I use a Baufung uv5 and uv8 and they work great with the GMRS channels. But it is all about the antennas on the Baufung.
That's the data point I was looking for. I never used GMRS freqs on my Baofengs. Thanks for that.
It's always all about antennae on any radio.

The Baufeng's will transmit on FRS, GMRS, HAM, MARS, etc. freqs. That is why it will be illegal to sell or advertise the current crop of Baofeng two-way radios after Sept. 30, 2019.

The Baufeng's will transmit on FRS, GMRS, HAM, MARS, etc. freqs. That is why it will be illegal to sell or advertise the current crop of Baofeng two-way radios after Sept. 30, 2019.
And, some who are clueless, just entered an bunch of numbers for the frequency and were happily chatting away on an FBI surveillance frequency while visiting the DC Mall.

1567960991260.gif

Spent a little time tonight and flashed my 10 Baofeng UVR-5s with a combination GCLC/CLCC file. I'll be bringing them all if folks need a handout. They'll all be fully charged. Just have to remember to return them ;)
Now to flash the radio in the truck...

@emorth so I am trying to use the .csv file thru CHIRP to add the channels on my Baofeng, and having some troubles. The file I have that I pulled from my 1st Baofeng I am able to upload to the radio, but the new file doesn't give me an option to upload.

Are the channels needed for the repeaters the following rows
38, 39, 40 also labeled as the following location numbers 51,52,53

@emorth so I am trying to use the .csv file thru CHIRP to add the channels on my Baofeng, and having some troubles. The file I have that I pulled from my 1st Baofeng I am able to upload to the radio, but the new file doesn't give me an option to upload.

Are the channels needed for the repeaters the following rows
38, 39, 40 also labeled as the following location numbers 51,52,53
You have to do a copy/paste from the csv file to the img file you downloaded from the radio. Then upload the img file to the radio.

You have to do a copy/paste from the csv file to the img file you downloaded from the radio. Then upload the img file to the radio.
That's what I started doing with the freqs I was missing. Glad to know I was doing the right thing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom