Fall Crawl Comms (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Base stations at the CLCC canopy
- CB channel 14 (alternate channels in case of interference 24 & 34)
- VHF Ham radio 146.58 MHz no PL/CTCSS (alternate freq 146.55) Amatuer Radio License required.
- GMRS (CLCC Club Radios) channel 1 simplex & channel 2 repeater (alternate channels 3 & 4 )

GMRS Repeater on top of the mountain to extend coverage area
- CLCC channel 2 (alternate channel 4)

VHF Ham freqs on the trails:
- The bands for simplex operation are 146.40 to 146.58 MHz and 147.42 to 147.57 MHz
- The national calling frequency is 146.52, so we won't use that one
- The best channel separation to prevent adjacent channel interference is 30 kHz
- So using 146.52 as the reference and 30 kHz separation, these are the best freqs to use:
146.40 146.43 146.46 146.49 146.55 (alternate base station) 146.58 (base station)
147.42 147.45 147.48 147.51 147.54 147.57

Ulterior motive disclosure: The Fall Crawl provides and opportunity to conduct an exercise in the deployment of tactical communications equipment in a remote area to extend the radio coverage area. Using repeaters to extend the coverage area is typically required when supporting emergency, disaster, search and rescue and special event comms. Yes, all of this radio stuff may seem a bit excessive for a trail ride, but there is a hidden agenda. So please use the repeater as much as possible so we can identify any shortcomings.

More details:
The Chirp file of CLCC freqs and weather freqs will be posted on the club's website soon. Can't get it to post here

CLCC radio freqs
CLCC freqs.jpg

thanks for posting this Ed!

I have my license and would really encourage others to get theirs. It is an easy test and can help out tremendously - I can't remember for sure, but in and around the areas of Gore, there is no cell service - so ham radios are a great way to keep in touch.

This past weekend, I volunteered as a backcountry medic for a 100 mile mountain bike race in the GWNF. Several of the areas did not have cell service and radios were the only way to stay in touch. We had a quiet event this year, but two years ago, we had to call for an ambulance to meet us at the trailhead as we had two riders with broken collar bones in the backcountry. In the past - this event has had several other injuries and unfortunately even a casualty.

Once the electricity goes down during big events, cell phones aren't reliable and ham radios are often one of the only ways to stay in touch with several volunteer organizations. As Ed mentioned, this is a great way to be prepared...

Shenandoah 100?
Yep - this year there was the std 100 and a metric 100. Top guys finish in 7 hours or so!

Glad I stumbled on this thread. This should be sent to all attendees before hand.
I am working on a radio information page that will be linked to the FC information page on our club website.

I am working on a radio information page that will be linked to the FC information page on our club website.
There are also 2 2M repeaters in the Winchester area that would easily cover Gore.
146.8200 -0.6 MHz 146.2 Winchester, Great North Mountain Frederick W4RKC
145.3900 -0.6 MHz 146.2 / 146.2 Winchester, North Mountain Frederick K4USS

There are also 2 2M repeaters in the Winchester area that would easily cover Gore.
146.8200 -0.6 MHz 146.2 Winchester, Great North Mountain Frederick W4RKC
145.3900 -0.6 MHz 146.2 / 146.2 Winchester, North Mountain Frederick K4USS
Yes, no, maybe
The repeater sites appear to be on the east side of the mountain, not the top. Our coverage ends at the top of the mountain. So, the mountain may shadow the repeaters from our camp site, or there could be enough signal to sneak over the mountain. We have not done any on site coverage tests. Until we know what the coverage area is we didn't want to anticipate that the repeaters would provide adequate coverage.

Map showing the location of the camp site and the repeaters.
MAP.jpg

Propagation map showing the coverage area ending at the top of the mountain range. Marker at camp VI
COVERAGE.jpg

We will do some on site coverage tests when we get there. Stay tuned

Yes, no, maybe
The repeater sites appear to be on the east side of the mountain, not the top. Our coverage ends at the top of the mountain. So, the mountain may shadow the repeaters from our camp site, or there could be enough signal to sneak over the mountain. We have not done any on site coverage tests. Until we know what the coverage area is we didn't want to anticipate that the repeaters would provide adequate coverage.

Map showing the location of the camp site and the repeaters.
View attachment 2076918

Propagation map showing the coverage area ending at the top of the mountain range. Marker at camp VI
View attachment 2076920

We will do some on site coverage tests when we get there. Stay tuned
I'm not sure I am reading this correctly, but it looks like Moto Cove and the area bounded by US-50 to the North and the WV border to the West, which is where we are, essentially is in the green coverage area.

Yes, no, maybe. We'll do some on site coverage tests when we get there. Stay tuned
That is the correct choice. I have both repeaters programmed along with the simplex freqs posted. We'll see what happens.
Have you had success with using the Baofung units on GMRS freqs? I've got a bunch of those.

That is the correct choice. I have both repeaters programmed along with the simplex freqs posted. We'll see what happens.
Have you had success with using the Baofung units on GMRS freqs? I've got a bunch of those.
Me too. Curious to see what the coverage is. Also, program the blumont repeater 147.3 + PL 146.2. It has fantastic coverage. From Fairfax, VA with a handheld radio I can talk to people on the PA turnpike.
Baofungs work ok. Susceptible to interference and not as durable as the Motorola’s. Lots of guys have them. Me too, but I will never admit it.

Me too. Curious to see what the coverage is. Also, program the blumont repeater 147.3 + PL 146.2. It has fantastic coverage. From Fairfax, VA with a handheld radio I can talk to people on the PA turnpike.
Baofungs work ok. Susceptible to interference and not as durable as the Motorola’s. Lots of guys have them. Me too, but I will never admit it.
I'll add that other repeater.
I ask about the Baofengs because I have a bunch I can bring with me if folks need comms for the event. I bought 6 for GCLC to use for CMCC, plus I have another 4 of my own. If you tested the comms with your club radios, which I assume are GMRS, then at least we would have some cross-compatibility. It's gets a little cumbersome to have 3 different radios during an event.
I won't use CB in any case.

Agree. CB is the least desirable. I have to go thru decontamination after I touch one.
CLCC and I have spare/loaner GMRS radios for events. Please bring yours too. Better to have too many.
CLCC has primarily used GMRS in the past. Time to get them to migrate to ham radio. Many of the members have gotten their licenses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom