Factory 1HZT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LOL!!
oh boy, you really do not want to get me started on religion and faith..

Likewise...

sorry, back on topic- anybody built a 1HZ-T in a Toyota Factory? Anyone?...anyone?

Dougal, have you heard a 1HD-T? They are anything but noisy, friend.

Yes plenty, you can't go anywhere here without tripping over a diesel 80. They're not loud, but the HZ's are quieter.
Have you seen the amount of sound insulation toyota fit directly to the 1-HD-FTE?

Indirect injection engines don't use excess fuel to start. Having a bus which doesn't blow a cloud of smoke over the people at the hotel waiting to get onboard is generally a good thing.
Rosco seems to have missed this point entirely as it is not related to emissions testing at all.

Whether toyota did this or not, I don't know. But at exactly the same point in time Isuzu switched two of their engines from direct injection to indirect. The 4JG2T and the 4BD2T.

Claiming someone has "chopped" an HD-T sticker to create an HZ-T sticker is a little far-fetched. Why would someone go to the trouble for an engine that didn't exist?

There are also a whole slew of "freak" vehicles which come out of japan with specs that shouldn't exist.
My work car is a prime example, it's a 2000 model 4wd diesel station wagon. Built by Nissan, badged Mazda and has a drivetrain layout that no-one at Mazda or Nissan has seen before.

Having said all that, the HZ-T may never have made normal production, but there's plenty of evidence to show that parts were designed, manufactured and entered into the EPC for it. Having people in Canada (which gets the diesel news from japan 15 years late) and Australia (which heavily restricts importation of jdm vehicles) who haven't seen one doesn't mean that much.

LOL!!
this is just too funny

this quote coming from a peep that has never seen one either and knows less about toyota diesels than those of us that he is trying to dominate...
we Canadians might be 15 years behind Japan in IMPORTING the JDM trucks, BUT some of us have been studying Land Cruisers hands on for longer than you have been on this god-forsaken earth reading your little books...
so some of us are more sceptical of ... odd ball claims ... and we want, as Rosco points out, the pudding of the matter.

Having people in Canada (which gets the diesel news from japan 15 years late) and Australia (which heavily restricts importation of jdm vehicles) who haven't seen one doesn't mean that much.

Last edited:
Indirect injection engines don't use excess fuel to start. Having a bus which doesn't blow a cloud of smoke over the people at the hotel waiting to get onboard is generally a good thing. Rosco seems to have missed this point entirely as it is not related to emissions testing at all.

Your missing the point here mister. A well tuned 1HD T does not blow back smoke over the customers.
We all know the in the EPC but there is no visual proof the engine existes or has existed so far.
As I have said countless times ,until some real proof shows up its pointless arguing it exists.

Yes plenty, you can't go anywhere here without tripping over a diesel 80. They're not loud, but the HZ's are quieter.
Have you seen the amount of sound insulation toyota fit directly to the 1-HD-FTE?

Whether toyota did this or not, I don't know. But at exactly the same point in time Isuzu switched two of their engines from direct injection to indirect. The 4JG2T and the 4BD2T.

off topic

Claiming someone has "chopped" an HD-T sticker to create an HZ-T sticker is a little far-fetched. Why would someone go to the trouble for an engine that didn't exist?

A computer chop is easy and the person who did it may have well believed he/she was doing the right thing.
Why dont you go in an order a 1HZ T sticker from your dealer?

There are also a whole slew of "freak" vehicles which come out of japan with specs that shouldn't exist.
My work car is a prime example, it's a 2000 model 4wd diesel station wagon. Built by Nissan, badged Mazda and has a drivetrain layout that no-one at Mazda or Nissan has seen before.
I agree ,but off topic again

Having said all that, the HZ-T may never have made normal production, but there's plenty of evidence to show that parts were designed, manufactured and entered into the EPC for it. Having people in Canada (which gets the diesel news from japan 15 years late) and Australia (which heavily restricts importation of jdm vehicles) who haven't seen one doesn't mean that much.

The guys in Japan have not come across any and the auction lists there do not list any factory turbos that I can find.
The workshop manuals from that era do not mention 1HZ T and I have looked in the ARL and GEN editions.
Like you said,it may not have got to the production stage.
Again ,we may have the recipe, but not the pudding

Send Toyota Japan an email and see what they say;)

we Canadians might be 15 years behind Japan in IMPORTING the JDM trucks, BUT some of us have been studying Land Cruisers hands on for longer than you have been on this god-forsaken earth reading your little books...

According to all the parts sources, this engine was never fitted to a landcruiser. It was some 93-96 Coaster buses.
So not finding it in a landcruiser shouldn't be much of a surprise.:clap:

Your missing the point here mister. A well tuned 1HD T does not blow back smoke over the customers.

Startup smoke isn't black, it's usually white/grey colour.
Even my work car which has a computer controlling injection quantity and timing blows smoke when starting in the cold. Three glow cycles help but it's still there.
In the warm it's barely noticable but the colder the air the more you see.

Umm, if I remember correctly you can buy the 1HZ-T stickers from toyota japan - now maybe it is a typo but I am pretty sure you can. I was going to buy a couple for my turbo additions for the heck of it. Had the priced - but just decided not to.

I don't think they would have made a mistake on that - it is actually a decal that is pictured, not a typo in the description.

I don't really care either way though.

I suppose debating the existence of some obscure Toyota diesel motor could be seen as quite sad:p... Nevertheless...;)

This debate is based solely on circumstantial evidence until someone physically finds this motor. If/when that happens, I suspect the finder will also have a hard time proving to the forum that what he found is the true article and that his proof has not been Photo-chopped.:D

So lets look at the circumstantial evidence that we have (as I see it):
  • Toyota did design a 1HZ-T motor. The detail in EPC shows that this motor is a unique combination of parts from other engines and also unique parts. I think there is reasonably broad based agreement here that the detail in EPC is too much to be a mere typo/printing error.
  • If the 1HZ-T motor was designed, but was stillborn, the fact that it made it into EPC is an anomally.
  • EPC shows that the engine was intended to be used in Coaster busses and shows effectivity dates for its use in this application. It would not be very likely that EPC would have effectivity dates if none of the 1HZ-T motors were actually built and fitted to Coasters.
  • Several aftermarket engine and drivetrain parts suppliers' catalogues show that they carry spares for the 1HZ-T powered Coasters (including some of the unique parts like pistons).
  • We have seen at least one advert for a second hand 1HZ-T powered Coaster, although it might have been converted. More searching might turn up more (or not).
  • It seems that the engine ID sticker can be purchased from Toyota.
To me it seem as though the balance of evidence is tipped towards concluding that the motor exists.

Dragging this thread up from the depths - kicking and screaming...

Well this topic has been lying almost dead and buried in the back of mind for some time now. The only spark of interest was the fact that the EPC shows the 1HZ-T engine label under the 'Caution plate & name plate (engine)' section as shown below.

CoasterEngineLabelEPC.jpg

I've wondered if ordered, what label would turn up. So a few weeks ago i thought i would price it up (the time its taken shows the level of importance this has to me :hillbilly:).

It priced up at NZD$9.60 (approx USD$7.87), so i thought i'd order it - just for s***s and giggles!!

Heres what turned up -

IMG_3476_2.jpg

IMG_3475_2.jpg

IMG_3477_2.jpg

:hmm:

:meh:

Well, there you go. Pretty cool decal for anyone running a turbocharged 1HZ in their cruiser! :D

Well well well,snailtrail just hit one outa the park!

Now finish it for good and order the factory turbo snailtrail???!!!

wongtsenhin said:
Is that a genuine sticker? I mean from Toyota, or imitation?

That's genuine.

Gonna see if I can score one when I get back to work.

:)

Dan...ill let you know if I can score one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom