Slight UCA rub after 275/65R18 installed on stock wheels - solutions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have 2022 GX460 and installed 275/65R18 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss tires on stock wheels.

Considering high positive offset of stock wheels I got no rub anywhere besides driver side UCA on full lock and under braking situation.

Question - will adjusting caster angle slightly forward solve this rub or not?

If not, what minimal (0.25"/0.5") inch spacer do you recommend from very reputable brand?

Long term solution would be installing suspension lift with third-party UCA, but I'd like to postpone this a bit.

Thank you!

I would go with aftermarket wheels that are zero offset. They would also look much better than OEM.

I've never been a fan of spacers. Aftermarket UCAs are designed for lifted geometry, so you won't want to use them on an otherwise stock rig.

Spacers or new wheels may cause rubbing on the fender plastics.

Last edited:
Unless you also add taller bump stops, a lift on these won't change how far up the wheel travels. All it does is raise the static ride height. When the suspension travels up due to flex or bumps the wheel goes up just as much as stock. Stiffer springs and a taller ride height will make that happen less, and maybe if you drive gently on pavement it wont bottom, but that's not really a solution.

The plastic fender liner is easy to heat form and there's clearance between it and the metal so there's room to push it back.

I got no rub anywhere besides driver side UCA on full lock and under braking situation.
If you like the look/ride otherwise I would adjust your driving to avoid the bolded condition. I had a similar problem in my 4Runner due to JBA uppers and tires that were too tall for the mix with stock wheels/offset. Adjusting my driving was easier than I anticipated.

@Rednexus has a great point with the wheels.

I personally avoid spacers...each one introduces a dozen or more potential points of failure that will not meet the same standard of QC that the rest of your vehicle does.

Caster won't correct that problem. Moving caster forward would relieve rubbing on back of the inner fender.
You'll need either an offset wheel or narrower tire.

I run 1.25" spacers on all 4 corners for rub issues and I don't like the way the stock tires are tucked under the fenders. I am on a 2.5" Dobinson's lift, Dobinson's UCA's and running 275/70R18 MT's. I get a little rub on the plastic from time to time when off road. Eventually I will get aftermarket wheels but I have had no issues running spacers on this rig as well as others. Use locktite and torque them properly and you won't have issues.

If you like the look/ride otherwise I would adjust your driving to avoid the bolded condition.

Well, that is my driveway, not me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I run 1.25" spacers on all 4 corners for rub issues and I don't like the way the stock tires are tucked under the fenders. I am on a 2.5" Dobinson's lift, Dobinson's UCA's and running 275/70R18 MT's. I get a little rub on the plastic from time to time when off road. Eventually I will get aftermarket wheels but I have had no issues running spacers on this rig as well as others. Use locktite and torque them properly and you won't have issues.
I actually like tucked-in functionality - no wheel debris are scratching my paint!

But I have follow-up question for you - do you like Dobinsons lift (is it Dobinsons IMS?). I currently narrowed down to OME vs Dominsons IMS so gathering opinions.

Reactions: r2m
I actually like tucked-in functionality - no wheel debris are scratching my paint!

But I have follow-up question for you - do you like Dobinsons lift (is it Dobinsons IMS?). I currently narrowed down to OME vs Dominsons IMS so gathering opinions.
I bought it from a friend with the MRR lift already installd. From day 1 I have felt that the ride is "harsher" than it should be for an IFS rig, but this is my first IFS rig and I've never ridden in a stock 460. Having said all of that, I don't drive it enough for me to really dig into the adjustability and trying to dial it in for me.........maybe one day.......

I bought it from a friend with the MRR lift already installd. From day 1 I have felt that the ride is "harsher" than it should be for an IFS rig, but this is my first IFS rig and I've never ridden in a stock 460. Having said all of that, I don't drive it enough for me to really dig into the adjustability and trying to dial it in for me.........maybe one day.......
I found the Dobinson's recommended default settings on the MRAs way too stiff on compression and too fast/bouncy on rebound. The compression adjusters are easy to mess with but the rebound is annoying to get to, which is one of my only complaints I've had in a year of daily driving. I set the rebound fairly high, I believe it is like 11/15 front and 13/15 rear. The high speed compression is set pretty low - I have 2/10 front and 3/10 rear, and before I added my winch was running 1/10 front. In my experience rebound and high speed comp you generally set and forget unless you are adding/removing permanent weight or changing springs. Low speed comp is a little more subjective and this is the one you want to adjust based on load/conditions. You'll know if its too soft because it feels like the body is wallowing or shaking on the springs. Start at a fairly low setting and increase until you no longer feel like the car is doing that. Then you can increase more if you think there is still too much body roll, head toss, etc. If I am off roading with a full load of camp gear and passengers, I turn the rear low speed up a couple clicks and then turn it back when empty.

That is lot for info, thanks!
I'm lazy person so I will pick non-adjustable ones + non adjustable UCA with OEM rubber bushings + OEM non-maintainable ball joints.

No adjustments/maintenance that is :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom