Exhaust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
LC Exh.jpg

After my drive from Texas to Colorado and back, this has completely blown out. Anyone have options or recommendations they like?

Is that an EMS exhaust? Are your motor mounts in good shape?

Magnaflow Y-pipe.

View attachment 3388464
After my drive from Texas to Colorado and back, this has completely blown out. Anyone have options or recommendations they like?
First thing first, you need to figure why that happened. Something is loose or not correct with your exhaust. Maybe even motor mounts...

Is that an EMS exhaust? Are your motor mounts in good shape?
I'm not positive what exhaust system is on there. This was on there when i bought it. The headers appear to be custom (maybe?). The motor mounts look good.

First thing first, you need to figure why that happened. Something is loose or not correct with your exhaust. Maybe even motor mounts...
Not necessarily. They were not originally made with a flex joint there for a reason. That's a horrible place for a flex.

Go with Magnaflow. They offer 409SS versions as well as aluminized versions now. I had excellent fit with mine.

Magnaflow downpipe with Cat and second cat being also Magnaflow. I did a different brand muffler.

See thread below:

LC Exh2.jpg

Here's a couple more pics.

LC Exh3.jpg

LC Exh4.jpg

I tried the flexible coupler design as pictured above and it didn't last one winter in NC. It corroded pretty quickly and blew out. So I eliminated the coupler and so far so good.

I'm not positive what exhaust system is on there. This was on there when i bought it. The headers appear to be custom (maybe?). The motor mounts look good.
Previous owner probably paid a lot of money for that garbage exhaust system. When you replace it all put some catalytic converters on so the rest of us on the road don't have to smell that truck.

Not necessarily. They were not originally made with a flex joint there for a reason. That's a horrible place for a flex.

Go with Magnaflow. They offer 409SS versions as well as aluminized versions now. I had excellent fit with mine.

Magnaflow downpipe with Cat and second cat being also Magnaflow. I did a different brand muffler.

See thread below:
Looks like the system on mine only has one small cat after the 1st O2 sensor, then a straight piece to the next flange. With that Magnaflow downpipe and cat being one piece, I guess I'd have to get the 2nd cat for everything to bolt up and fit correctly.

Huh, my rig has the cz racing headers with the same flex joint. It's at least 6 years old with no issues.

I think if you live in an arid climate and not worried about road salts and such, that flex pipe might hold up longer.

We used to use those flex sections on the EMSPowered exhausts. But that y-pipe doesn't look like the EMSPowered one. The EMSPowered y-pipes were different. The two styles we went through are in the photos below:

1690900453318.png

1690900472226.png

1690900503597.png

And these were the EMSPowered headers when we used to make them many years ago:

1690900965404.png

I would guess that unit is from CX or something made by a local exhaust shop. Those flex joints work really well and last a long time in areas that don't have salt/chemicals on the road in the winter. Otherwise you're better with solid pipe and more flexible exhaust mounts/hangers.

The other type of flex section that works well too, doesn't hold all the salt from the roads in the braids, and will do better in cold regions is the one in the photo below. If your pipes are in good shape, just have an exhaust shop replaces those flex sections with the style in the photo below.

1690900162472.png

Last edited:
Looks like the system on mine only has one small cat after the 1st O2 sensor, then a straight piece to the next flange. With that Magnaflow downpipe and cat being one piece, I guess I'd have to get the 2nd cat for everything to bolt up and fit correctly.

Just get a custom pipe made, or make one yourself if you can weld, to go between the Magnaflow cat and the muffler section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom