Builds Evolution of a Land Cruiser: My 80's build thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So as I mentioned a few posts ago, I plan on redoing the rear suspension over the next few months. Spare time seems to be hard to come by these days so I'll be working on this slowly over the next couple months with the hope that it's ready to go by summertime.

Before I remove the axle and start hacking away I figured I would start with the crossmember. Taking cues from Nukegoat's very helpful thread, I got to work. The only permanent change at this point was cutting off the exhaust as it's in the way. Nice thing is I haven't made any irreversible changes...yet.

Building the crossmember is not really hard per say but it is a giant pain in the ass. The most miserable part of all this was drilling multiple holes in thick plates of steel with nothing but a hand drill. I recently obtained a drill press but apparently need some sort of blackmagic contraption to allow my lame civilian household voltage to work with the 3-phase motor of the press. Oh well.

As in Nuke's setup, the crossmember can really only go in one place in order to avoid serious fab work. And that place is right across the gas tank under the front-facing retaining strap. That gives you just enough room to clear the tank and the driveshaft.

The current state of my rear links and driveshaft. Plan is to run a DC shaft (which I bought from Tatton) and rotate the pinion up to give me a bit more ground clearance.

8d3myuMh.jpg

After cutting off the exhaust I welded on some 1/4" plates to serve as a base for the mounting point.

UTAlcVAh.jpg

The crossmember itself is 2x3 square tubing, 1/4" thick. The mounting plates where the crossmember bolts to are 3/8" thick.

Pictured here is the small mounting base and crossmember. Also notice the drill bit graveyard. I broke several drill bits going thru the 3/8" plate and 1/4" crossmember for 5/8" bolts. The crossmember was sleeved for the bolts so that meant I actually had to go to 1" holes. By far my most miserable experience. 1/10 would not recommend.

8VBR4txh.jpg

Here is the crossmember with all the holes drilled. 3/8" mounting place is tacked in place for hole alignment (this will be a fully removable crossmember).

IGWN0ryh.jpg

And here is the crossmember bolted up after welding the 3/8" mounting plates to the frame. Not quite done yet, still need a few more gussets/reinforcing of the mounting plate to the frame. The crossmember will also be notched to allow more clearance for the driveshaft at droop, especially because I will be running a DC shaft which has much bigger CV joint at the tcase.

Tgcjouxh.jpg

Welding upside down sucks. I tend to believe I can put down a decent bead until I have to weld upside down. Then it looks like herpes and hammered dogsh1t.

P2fgIych.jpg

Side view showing the 1" sleeves for the 5/8" bolts. This will be capped off once complete.

870Y3vQh.jpg

And started buying some brackets and junk. Will run beefy 1.25" FK heims (avoiding Chinese heims for sure). Since I'll be triangulating the lower links, I grabbed some 10º offset brackets to set the joint position back to neutral. Not sure how far I will inboard the lowers, but this is just to give you an idea.

gOtdNP4h.jpg

I believe these brackets will give me enough room to clear the gas tank but we shall see. I could always lower them a bit if needed by welding on extra 1/4" plates. Where there are currently will put them at the same height as my front lower links.

VBA9ZzVh.jpg

Good visual of the height/length of my front links vs the stock rear setup.

21330667764_7d6f8dd760_h.jpg

Till the next update :cheers:

Got the crossmember mounting pretty much done. Added a few gussets and braced the frame. Now I can move on to the next piece, tearing down the axle.

osP7GfIh.jpg

qKuexqyh.jpg

tTxgMPzh.jpg

sQtwZash.jpg

Nice work! And yeah MIG isnt typically gonna look wonderful in an overhead or even uphill position. Usually since heat travels up though it looks all piled up it is stronger than it may initially appear

One problem i see with your rendition is that all your bolts are along a single line - so the lower links are potentially going to be reacting them in peel. Consider adding another bolt not in the same line as the other 4 on order to form a plane. Better yet try another axis altogether...

One problem i see with your rendition is that all your bolts are along a single line - so the lower links are potentially going to be reacting them in peel. Consider adding another bolt not in the same line as the other 4 on order to form a plane. Better yet try another axis altogether...

I think I follow. Would another bolt oriented like this help? I thought I was almost done welding upside down :/

pqAJ2ka.jpg

I just realized you still have the cross under exhaust pipe along with your stock transfer case protection.

Don't know how you do it.

I just realized you still have the cross under exhaust pipe along with your stock transfer case protection.

Don't know how you do it.

The exhaust actually had a cage around it that I just cut off when I started building the crossmember. The tcase has taken a few hits. I wanted the Creeper skid for the longest time, didn't like any of the available options. Now that I have this crossmember it will be easy enough to attach a skid to the factory crossmember. And of course the Creeper skid goes back into production when I've decided to go a different route.

Once I get the suspension figured out I plan on going through the frame like Booger did on his old setup:

image-jpg.933845

image-jpg.934077

I think I follow. Would another bolt oriented like this help? I thought I was almost done welding upside down :/

pqAJ2ka.jpg
Thats ok but sideways (like into the frame, even if below the frame into a tab) would be better. And further away is stronger. Id gusset better if youre not going to add a web like I did. Like two triangles parallel to the ground plane, welded on the inside of the frame and welded on the crossmember.

I wouldnt go through the frame with your exhaust. Too risky to do safely IMO.

Did you go over the frame? Where did you cross over? I was also thinking about just running the exhaust tube straight out along the frame then crossing under the frame closer to the rear tire since the factory lower links will no longer by there and will be triangulated. I think it would work by just eyeballing it but who knows once I get it all set up. I don't plan on having a ton of up-travel anyways since I'm kinda limited with the fender wheel well.

Did you go over the frame? Where did you cross over? I was also thinking about just running the exhaust tube straight out along the frame then crossing under the frame closer to the rear tire since the factory lower links will no longer by there and will be triangulated. I think it would work by just eyeballing it but who knows once I get it all set up. I don't plan on having a ton of up-travel anyways since I'm kinda limited with the fender wheel well.
I went over the frame right near the cats. you need heat shielding and let someone competent do the work if you can. My guy did a bad job. But its doable.

You got the exhaust....you can fab up anything...just buy some mandrel bent pieces and cut and weld to get over frame. It's tedious but not to bad. I ditched double cat and run a magnaflow high spun with offset exit. Been working great. Po420 once and awhile.

You got the exhaust....you can fab up anything...just buy some mandrel bent pieces and cut and weld to get over frame. It's tedious but not to bad. I ditched double cat and run a magnaflow high spun with offset exit. Been working great. Po420 once and awhile.

Do you have any pictures? Can't ditch the cats unfortunately due to CA regulations.

I remember doing a build thread. About 4 or 5 yrs ago..
Do you have any pictures? Can't ditch the cats unfortunately due to CA regulations.

That cross member looks sweet, how long are the lowers going to be ? Curious to know if you think the lower frame mount will be a bottoming factor ?
I am currently doing a triangulated 4 link in the rear without a cross member. I originally thought about doing your setup but opted out as the lowers were too long in my opinion, but if your keeping the stock axle, I can see it’s the only way to go as it’s hard to get some triangulation.
Looking forward to see how it turns out

Finally started my exhaust.. w/ pics

Only thing I'd do different is space rear sensor back further. I think thats why I get po420 once and awhile.

Nice work! That's kinda what I was planning to do; buy a bunch of pieces and try to build it myself. But because I need to keep both cats the spot where most guys go over the frame is out of the question. I did find another spot where it could cross over but that is further back, I think that's where Nuke routed his as well. We shall see.

That cross member looks sweet, how long are the lowers going to be ? Curious to know if you think the lower frame mount will be a bottoming factor ?
I am currently doing a triangulated 4 link in the rear without a cross member. I originally thought about doing your setup but opted out as the lowers were too long in my opinion, but if your keeping the stock axle, I can see it’s the only way to go as it’s hard to get some triangulation.

Last time I checked I think the lowers will be about 40" bolt-to-bolt. You can kinda see them in @nukegoat rig in this picture. He ran this setup while on 37s so perhaps he can chime in if he thinks they hung too lower before going to a much bigger tire.

DkHCJuE.jpg

40” sounds great.... hard to tell from your pictures but thought your links would be around 46” where you welded the bottom plate.
My lowers are slightly shorter at 38”
Hope nukegoat replies

Nice work! That's kinda what I was planning to do; buy a bunch of pieces and try to build it myself. But because I need to keep both cats the spot where most guys go over the frame is out of the question. I did find another spot where it could cross over but that is further back, I think that's where Nuke routed his as well. We shall see.

Last time I checked I think the lowers will be about 40" bolt-to-bolt. You can kinda see them in @nukegoat rig in this picture. He ran this setup while on 37s so perhaps he can chime in if he thinks they hung too lower before going to a much bigger tire.

DkHCJuE.jpg

I've been thinking
...why nobody kust follows pass rocker with small muffler and just dump before pass rear tire. Would stink for that passenger but would be easy and out of the way.

How are you triangulating?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom