Entry Assist (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 5'1" wife has difficulty climbing into our FJ40, even using the running board. I thought of installing a strap that she could hold onto to assist. Any suggestions?

If your FJ40 has a cage there are several roll bar grips you could look at.

My 5'1" wife has difficulty climbing into our FJ40, even using the running board. I thought of installing a strap that she could hold onto to assist. Any suggestions?
Something like these steps used in conjunction with some kind of grab handle?

Hard to say what would be useful as a grab handle given we don't have a photo of your 40.

Something like these steps used in conjunction with some kind of grab handle?

Hard to say what would be useful as a grab handle given we don't have a photo of your 40.
Yes, the step would help her a lot.

38008894-1971-toyota-land-cruiser-fj40-std.jpg

38008901-1971-toyota-land-cruiser-fj40-std.jpg

37932034-1971-toyota-land-cruiser-fj40-std.jpg

I used to have a similar problem and used one of the black handles that $OR sells. It almost lines up with the holes in the top, I think made a minor modification and it fit. I've since eliminated the problem, but left the handles in.

I used to have a similar problem and used one of the black handles that $OR sells. It almost lines up with the holes in the top, I think made a minor modification and it fit. I've since eliminated the problem, but left the handles in.

So, you mounted the bar just above the door frame?

If she can't get into the truck using the step, how's a strap from the roof going to help? A strap on the door (like the later models have, but secured much better becasue these things were intended to close the door with, not hang on) would be a better choice.

the problem is she doesn't have anything to grab onto so she can use her arms to help pull herself in. She can get a foot on the running board, but needs a way to pull up and in.

@Malleus It's worked well on mine. Like @TimMc81 said, they need something to use to pull themselves up. Here's a pic of mine. The advantage is that it doesn't require any new holes and fits in well with the other black trim items. If you had a strap that hung down like on a subway though, it would probably be easier to reach. And of course with the top off, this doesn't do you any good. But quick and easy and works well in my experience.

IMG_2229.jpeg

IMG_2228.jpeg

Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for. Do you remember where you found the handle?

Glove box grab bars were popular back in the day and can be found in the classifieds.
Note: I do not condone cutting or drilling into a 40 unless absolutely necessary.
276-21_i grab bar.jpg

I use the @Goldbug solution, works well.

Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for. Do you remember where you found the handle?
I would check to see if she can reach that high. At 5'1", it will be a stretch.
You have the handle over the glovebox, does that help at all? Maybe she needs another grab handle on her left at the door frame.
Maybe mount a hanging strap on the b-pillar of the top. When the top is off, she can use the top edge of the tub just behind the b-pillar.

Last edited:
I've got one like that on mine. 99% sure it was stock.

I've seen similar at many RV parts supply houses.

He included a link to the page at spector off-roads website. Half way down the page under "Rubber Grab Bar". Two size options

RUBBER GRAB BAR
Specter Off-Road, Inc.
(click for large picture)
BuyQuantityPart Number
Description​
PriceIn StockPicture
Click to Enlarge
276-30LARGE GRAB HANDLE-
Black rubber-11 inches x 2 1/4 inches overall with bolt holes 10 inches on center-Fits all 40 & 45 Series-Comes with matching hole covers-Installation hardware NOT included
On Sale - Everyone gets the Discounted Price on this part.
Prop 65 Caution WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm — www.p65warnings.ca.gov
This Product is in stock
Photo of part number 276-30
276-35SMALL GRAB HANDLE-
Black rubber-7 1/4 inches x 2 inches overall with bolt holes 6 1/4 inches on center-Universal fit-Comes with matching hole covers-Installation hardware NOT included
On Sale - Everyone gets the Discounted Price on this part.
Prop 65 Caution WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm — www.p65warnings.ca.gov
This Product is in stock
Photo of part number 276-35

Off subject, Is that a stock hard top ? You have a very nice 40, looks great.

I just bought this a couple of weeks ago so I don't know whether the top is "stock" or aftermarket. I suspect aftermarket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom