RAM Hydro Assist Steering advice: 5.3, Saginaw PS, High Steer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am having difficulty turning aired down 37" tires when the front locker is engaged and looking at adding a Ram Hydro assist to the setup. I am running a Chev 5.3 with Saginaw pump and box (which gets hot when rock crawling) and a high steer kit with the GM 1 ton rods/ends. I would love any advice on this matter if anyone has experience with installs or operation. I am concerned about on road performance as well since I do like to go fetch groceries with it. Here are a few kits that I am looking at:

BE9F57EA-A19A-457A-A910-576A8170141E.jpg

If you don't already have one I would install a power steering cooler.

Game changer for crawling, driving on the street etc! Best mod and highly recommended! It acts like a steering stabilizer on the highway! Takes the load off the steering gear and frame. And yes, always run a power steering cooler!

I have a new ram and also a used one if you are interested

You will need to get a ported steering box. Redhead would be my suggestion.

I have FJ60 steering, but use a saginaw pump on my 1.5F and hydro assist was a great addition.
I added a large transmission cooler, external reservoir and a filter at the same time as hydro assist and have had flawless steering ever since, whether aired down with 37's on beadlocks and a front locker or cruising the highway at 70mph.

I did mine very DIY - ported FJ60 box myself, used an 1.5F oil filter mount and tapped it for fittings as the power steering filter, made my own resevoir and capped the built in reservoir on the saginaw pump.

Only reason I am
Not using is I got everything to go full hydro

It looks like you have 4x4 Labs Frombe steering so your axle-side cylinder mount will be interesting to package in there. I just did mine and through the use of cardboard templates and a lot of mockups, I made it work. I wouldn't personally weld on my tie rods so I made the tie rod cylinder mount by using a tube clamp and some 1/4" thick shock tabs. You can see my steering cooler in the front crossmember as well. So far so good on 39" tires.
pic 1.jpg
pic 2.jpg
pic 4.jpg
pic 3.jpg
pic 5.jpg

I have the PSC stuff for 15 years, no issues. It does get hot after crawling all day but does not effect perf. I have the 6" x 1.5 ram, a psc P pump with remote res and 3/8 lines and a ported saginaw box on 38's. It is a bit slow for street, I drive on street all the time not a problem. I run a finned aluminum billet cooler & royal purple synthetic.
IMO a ham can style pump will get too hot, need a remote res. with cooler. The psc pump has a can res on the pump and the remote res so it increases total system volume which helps with heat dissipation and it fits in my stock 2001 6.0 location. I dont recall if they will install pulley , if not you will need the pulley installer tool.

It looks like you have 4x4 Labs Frombe steering so your axle-side cylinder mount will be interesting to package in there. I just did mine and through the use of cardboard templates and a lot of mockups, I made it work. I wouldn't personally weld on my tie rods so I made the tie rod cylinder mount by using a tube clamp and some 1/4" thick shock tabs. You can see my steering cooler in the front crossmember as well. So far so good on 39" tires.
View attachment 3341464View attachment 3341465View attachment 3341467View attachment 3341466View attachment 3341468
Yes looks like we have the same setup on the 4x Labs High Steer. I am worried about the size of tabs that are needed to mount to the axle to keep the system parallel to the TR. I have read a few places that the spring plate would work as well for a mount but not sure. Great pics!

I have the PSC stuff for 15 years, no issues. It does get hot after crawling all day but does not effect perf. I have the 6" x 1.5 ram, a psc P pump with remote res and 3/8 lines and a ported saginaw box on 38's. It is a bit slow for street, I drive on street all the time not a problem. I run a finned aluminum billet cooler & royal purple synthetic.
IMO a ham can style pump will get too hot, need a remote res. with cooler. The psc pump has a can res on the pump and the remote res so it increases total system volume which helps with heat dissipation and it fits in my stock 2001 6.0 location. I dont recall if they will install pulley , if not you will need the pulley installer tool.
Great info, are you referring to this style pump with a remote fill res?

Yes looks like we have the same setup on the 4x Labs High Steer. I am worried about the size of tabs that are needed to mount to the axle to keep the system parallel to the TR. I have read a few places that the spring plate would work as well for a mount but not sure. Great pics!
I will take a pic of the blue 40 it is set up like that.

Ive been out of the loop for awhile now, but back in the day AGR made a dual stage steering gear box with a normal 800'ish psi operating pressure, and a 1500 psi kit. Guys with the 1500 psi kits kept snapping tie rod ends and or bending steering arms due to the high pressure/big tire/solid rock wall ???. Reading above, evidently guys are not having a problem with the combination of a power steering gear box AND an "assist kit/ram"- - -I would be concerned this might be an over-powering situation, unless there is something I am missing ???

I can see the stock FJ tie rods snapping. I think this may be one of the reasons to upgrade to the GM 1 ton tie rods. That the 4x4 labs steering arms use .

Ive been out of the loop for awhile now, but back in the day AGR made a dual stage steering gear box with a normal 800'ish psi operating pressure, and a 1500 psi kit. Guys with the 1500 psi kits kept snapping tie rod ends and or bending steering arms due to the high pressure/big tire/solid rock wall ???. Reading above, evidently guys are not having a problem with the combination of a power steering gear box AND an "assist kit/ram"- - -I would be concerned this might be an over-powering situation, unless there is something I am missing ???
I think it all comes down to use. Not an issue if setup properly until your added force meets external resistance. You gotta know when to back off when you're putting things under such stress off road. You also have to maintain and prep/check your equipment. If hydro assist steering is not setup properly, say you're relying on steering stops to limit steering angle instead of the steering box or the hydro assist ram to limit steering angle, you'll be working things loose and over stressing components constantly and that'll lead to early failure for sure.

Yes, thats what I use, you can combine that kit with the rock assault ram kit or go all psc, IIRC all PSC is 220 dollars more for same stuff.
I wouldnt hesitate to weld the cyl end tabs on the housing. I actually have a removable front cover and my ram mounts to that no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom