Engine swap'tions in an FJ45 LWB. (other than SBC please.) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, what would a new Toyota or GM engine swap cost if all is farmed out ?

A bunch. People don’t understand what it cost to do things right

You guys are too fun. I said what I said assuming you would bark against my not staying with a Toyota in line 6. This has been much more fun.

That interests my original dream. How tough are the axles to bolt up under the 45 frame? How much? Got a link for that?

I am sure you can re-use most of your parts and spend ~$2000 for a set of custom housing that will bolt in.

At 60 (minus two months), I don't need 100s of thousands of miles. I want as good a gas mileage as I can afford, and I want more power than a normal, good running truck. These suggestions are all over the board and I knew that would be the case. I really appreciate all the suggestions. I do. None of you know exactly what I need or can afford. That's fine. All of these suggestions will end up finding just what I need. Who knows, maybe I end up back where I started and get a 2F souped up with a 5 speed and I get the added highway driving speeds and lousy gas mileage. Comfortable driving trumps gas miles. I have to start there. I have to assume that if I spend some bucks on what I already have and a new transmission, I may be better off financially.

Is that a fair assumption? Fewer mods. No computer system I have no idea how to hook up.

So I guess what I need to find out is cost for:
A) 4.0 V-6, tranny, case, axles, cost of someone to wire me up.
Better gas, better power, lots more money?
B) Cop Motor 2F, H55F.
Much simper install, enough power, standard lousy gas. More affordable?

From my seat, and no real experience just alot of reading Mud; I would go with the Mosley Motors built Cop motor.

At 60 (minus two months), I don't need 100s of thousands of miles. I want as good a gas mileage as I can afford, and I want more power than a normal, good running truck. These suggestions are all over the board and I knew that would be the case. I really appreciate all the suggestions. I do. None of you know exactly what I need or can afford. That's fine. All of these suggestions will end up finding just what I need. Who knows, maybe I end up back where I started and get a 2F souped up with a 5 speed and I get the added highway driving speeds and lousy gas mileage. Comfortable driving trumps gas miles. I have to start there. I have to assume that if I spend some bucks on what I already have and a new transmission, I may be better off financially.

Is that a fair assumption? Fewer mods. No computer system I have no idea how to hook up.

So I guess what I need to find out is cost for:
A) 4.0 V-6, tranny, case, axles, cost of someone to wire me up.
Better gas, better power, lots more money?
B) Cop Motor 2F, H55F.
Much simper install, enough power, standard lousy gas. More affordable?

100s thousands miles is really just to say that you are getting a very robust engine and your worries are few. Cummins is a very strong design. When Toyota first imported the FJ40/45, it was not long before the Chevy V-8 swap was popular. Chevy was mass producing these engines and parts were cheap and available. If price is an issue, you can get a GM crate engine foe a low price and either a NV4500 or a 5 speed toyota transmission.
Believe it or not, back in the 1960's you could get a brand new V-8 for FJ40 for 3400.00. But , 3400.00 was probably more than today's Cummins swap.

Con ferr.PNG

Subscibed! Definitely interested to see what you come up with. I struggled with this as well. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Does Moseley Motors have a presence here? Anyone here done biz with them? They say a high performance 2F is about 6 grand. A Super HiPo is more. How much? I'm guessing the second is the "Cop Motor." Do they use your engine or take a core? I know, I can call them, but I've got a few minutes here to write this up before I get back to reconstructing my shop.

I feel a lean towards a hopped up 2F in my FJ45's future... Maybe.

Jim, you missed my earlier comment of no way I will put in a Chevy. It's a long story but I just can't. I know I may even be able to afford that more but still, it's just not an option for me.

Does Moseley Motors have a presence here? Anyone here done biz with them? They say a high performance 2F is about 6 grand. A Super HiPo is more. How much? I'm guessing the second is the "Cop Motor." Do they use your engine or take a core? I know, I can call them, but I've got a few minutes here to write this up before I get back to reconstructing my shop.

I feel a lean towards a hopped up 2F in my FJ45's future... Maybe.

Here!

The high performance 2F, aka Cop Motor, is currently $6k plus a core or core charge (prefer the customer provide a known running late model 2F without a cracked head or block, the cores I’ve bought for inventory have been hit or miss).

Here’s the wheel dyno comparing a stock FJ60 that ran well and was recently tuned, but did have 120k miles vs Nolen’s Warthog with a Cop Motor & Sniper. Both trucks could have had a little more power squeezed out, so I’ll call it a valid comparison.

9490D0E9-2F7D-4EE0-AA54-BCE49D0D889F.jpeg

The next level build is the same but uses custom shorter modern style pistons & longer rods which shaves off 6 or 7 pounds of reciprocating and rotating mass. The cost not quite double, but considerable enough not to print for the crowd on mud.

CEA9963D-A54C-45E6-898D-57E72887A34E.jpeg

Last edited:
Also planning a 1FZ version of the above running an aftermarket standalone ECU to bolt to a stock drivetrain using the FJ Company bellhousing.

Last edited:
@FJ60Cam ,
Sounds like I need to talk to you. But since you're here... I have a very good running 2F ('77 I think) with both cases pulled right after I had a chance to drive the truck. Ran like a top. As good a driver as I've ever experienced. Was running a Weber. Is that late enough for a core?
I also have a dead F engine... Back to being serious.
So the HiPo motor does sound possibly out of my league. But the hi power you mention sounds like I may be able to pull off. If I'm remembering correctly, I get the motor from you and the transmission and t-case from Georg. Right? Who supplies the clutch and bell housing that will fit the 5 speed? What fuel system is on the motor? I'm a few months from pulling the trigger but I'm trying to get the big picture painted and out of the way.

Thanks for the help here guys.

I would consider a carbed 1fzf motor with a sniper kit and you have the option of putting a turbo on it as the sniper can handle forced induction. Then you bypass the old toyota efi and have the simple sniper efi. Or you could put a sniper on the 2f with 3fe exhaust manifolds and run a turbo. Or you could run a supercharger on a 2f sniper setup. You could also pursue a 300ci ford i6 motor and supercharge it. I used to be a toyota purist, but I really don't care anymore because Toyota really doesn't help at all with the crowd of people that want to modify their vehicles unless its their trd sway bars or trd wheels. GM and Ford and Mopar on the other hand promotes modifying their vehicles heavily and supports it fully. So if thats how Toyota wants to act, then fine, so I got a 80 with a LS motor. Parts are easy to get, cheap to get, and its very easy to modify. Im considering ripping the 2f out of my 40 as well just because everything I want to modify has to be custom.

I would consider a carbed 1fzf motor with a sniper kit and you have the option of putting a turbo on it as the sniper can handle forced induction. Then you bypass the old toyota efi and have the simple sniper efi. Or you could put a sniper on the 2f with 3fe exhaust manifolds and run a turbo. Or you could run a supercharger on a 2f sniper setup. You could also pursue a 300ci ford i6 motor and supercharge it. I used to be a toyota purist, but I really don't care anymore because Toyota really doesn't help at all with the crowd of people that want to modify their vehicles unless its their trd sway bars or trd wheels. GM and Ford and Mopar on the other hand promotes modifying their vehicles heavily and supports it fully. So if thats how Toyota wants to act, then fine, so I got a 80 with a LS motor. Parts are easy to get, cheap to get, and its very easy to modify. Im considering ripping the 2f out of my 40 as well just because everything I want to modify has to be custom.

I just bought a carb'd 1FZ head and manifolds to play with and do just that. I believe you can bolt a 1FZ carb manifold to an EFI head, but I have not been able to find any more manifolds, which sucks because that would make a nice clean swap.

After that one, I'm going to try and run the 1FZ with the Holley stand-alone computer and keep the factory intake and fuel rail. This route should actually be cheaper than the Sniper once figured out have a better end result. I think that would be a great motor for an older cruiser.

Great talking to you Cameron. Hey, if you want to try some new combination, I'll be glad to be your guinea pig. I do want an FJ45 that's got some coolness to it. I'm not worried about what the end product will look like. I can produce that in spades. It's the mechanical nifty factor I need some outside help with.

Things can change in an instant. I have a few months to work this out. My final decision may not be final. More than once. But I am right now thinking about giving my '77 2F over to Cam. The results of this conversion will be added to the build thread. I wanted this to focus on the one problem with easy access and faster results. It's working!

I really LOVE the 4.0 in my Tacoma. That was my first plan but the amount of things you have to convert in a 40 series is just too much.
Diffs are in the wrong place front and rear and the wiring combination would be a nightmare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom