Engine cuts out under load. search fourm tool useless (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i recently installed a HEI distributor on my 2F and all runs well. revs great and feels like i could pull the world and moon behind it until i hit about 2600 rpm in 4th gear. about then any grade in the road or a fly farting on my windshield causes the engine to crap out. i have checked timeing and its spot on the BB, plugs are gaped at .045. wires are new, ballast resistor is new, vac advance line is intact, fuel pump is 6 months old. where do i start.

Fuel filter?
Air Filter?
Carb issue?
Fuel pump relay?
Loose battery connection?
Could even be your gas cap - easy to test - just run it without the cap! If your cap isn't OEM and not venting, it will create a vaccuum under load.

What carb are you running?

Do a search for "Engine cuts out" - lots of stuff in the useless search engine!

Last edited:
It sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Start by looking for dirt/rust in the tank.

Manually work the vacuum advance with a vacuum pump or manifold vacuum with the engine running to see if it does it. The wires for the pickup are known to break internally, and can cause an open circut when the advance moves the plate. It also could be secondary ignition, like a coil failing under load, or a cracked distributor cap or rotor. Check inside for carbon tracking.

until i hit about 2600 rpm in 4th gear.

That does sound like fuel delivery problems...change the fuel filter first, if it does it again, shut it off and look in the little porthole window in the front of the carb to see what the fuel level is in the float bowl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom