EMPI Bogging (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Purchased a new EMPI Weber knock-off from SOR, installed over the weekend with a new Carter fuel pump onto a 69' F145. Idles just great, starts on the first try...BUT...when you give it gas under load it boggs down to the point of not being drivable. Truck lives at 4000ft plus main jet is a 140 and secondary main is a 150. New plugs, new fuel pump, played with the timing with no real changes. Keep thinking the altitude and jets may be the problem. Any guidance is appreciated.
DSC00788.jpg
DSC00787.jpg

Howdy! Does it blow a lot of black smoke when you throttle up? Have you checked the floats? All hoses and vacuum lines blocked/hooked up properly? John

do you have a fuel pressure regulator inline ? those carbs don't like over 3lbs pressure and will flood.

No pressure reg, was thinking about one, as for vacuum seems fine, dizzy advance is working well also. Some black smoke, but not very visible.

i would try a regulator then and see how it does. your local parts place should have a generic inline one fairly cheap. good luck!

Well check'd fuel pressure out of the Carter fuel pump and it is around 7psi as measured after the fuel filter so I just installed a Holley fuel pressure regulator and now the pressure is a solid 3.5, but no change regarding the bogging at full throttle. I did find a small vacuum leak around the base somewhere, idle drops a bit when I spray carb cleaner new the throttle shaft. Since this is a "Kit" the carburetor base is two parts with gaskets in between the base, spacers and carb. While the gaskets look fine I was thinking of pulling the thing apart and applying some type of sealer between each point. Any sealer suggestions?
DSC00790.jpg
DSC00789.jpg

Make sure the adapter fasteners are not trying to push the carburetor adapter apart when they are tightened up, pretty common issue with the Weber multi-piece adapters...

Make sure the adapter fasteners are not trying to push the carburetor adapter apart when they are tightened up, pretty common issue with the Weber multi-piece adapters...

Good suggestion, plan on taking the stuff apart in the am, any suggestions on some type on sealer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom