Electronic ignition in FJ55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiser_guy

Out of Africa / North Africa
Threads
Website
join-hands-for-hope-helping-people-help-themselves.mailchimpsites.com
Anyone know when the FJ55 got electronic ignition? I've got a '76 FJ55 (Feb. '76) which has electronic ignition but needs a wiring harness and I have a wiring harness from a Nov '74 FJ55 are they compatible? ???

Someone out there has this info or knows where to get it.

FJ55 has the same engines same year as FJ40's. Whenever 40's were switched, 55's were switched.

pretty sure 74(and 75 I think) won't work. 78 or 79 was the 1st year with full electonic ignition, 76-78 is semi electonic.

try looking up the ignition parts on SOR, that should tell you more.

75-77 had points and an Igniter. 78+ were full electronic. The Ca. spec vehicles may have been earlier, I don't recall at the moment.

D-

If it is just an ignition wiring harness issue, the harness should be the same up to the ignitor. The major wiring changes in later years have to do with smog control parts.

Yes it is just a wiring harness issue. The PO hacked up the harness so all bets are off if it's all there or going to the right places. This is all stock. The ignitor made me think electronic ignition but it may well have points, I have not yet looked. We're in the middle of restoring it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom