EFI Fuse Blowing -- Ideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Doug was on the main, paved road thru DV...

FirstToy said:
Doug was on the main, paved road thru DV...

Yep paved road. In the pic with the Rover lover you can see the yellow divider line.

NorCalDoug said:
Ali,
As Derek stated, we had a scan tool available, but since there was no CEL/MIL, no codes returned. We did learn that the ODB-II reader would NOT work if the EFI fuse was not in place -- good to know.

After looking at the wiring diagram it looks like the EFI fuse is the route through which the ECU gets power. No EFI fuse, no power to the ECU which means no codes. In fact if there was a code the lack of power to the ECU would have cleared it.

Thanks for the tip Ali, but as James and Derek already said, I was on pavement.

Highway 178 to be specific :D

This is not the first time AAA has provided less than desireable service -- three years ago, in the heat of the summer, my daughter was with my mother-in-law when her Ford got a flat -- they were in the suburbs of Sacramento -- 4 hour wait; my wife also had a flat repair about 2 years ago on I-80 in a bad part of town -- 2 hour wait; I have more stories...but aside from AAA I don't know that I have many other options...do I?

Cruiserdrew even told the guys at the Furnace Creek Cheveron that had the flatbed tow truck EXACTLY how far down the road Doug was. That was sometime after noon. They said they'd gone down the road 'a little way' and hadn't seen him so turned around. That all occured in the time it took the rest of us to drive from Doug's location to Furnace Creek.

Bottom line for AAA is that their contract location, even after being told EXACTLY how far down the road Doug was, they took 6 hours to get to him!

dfull.jpg

Holly cow :eek: :eek:

LX_TREME said:
dfull.jpg

Holly cow :eek: :eek:

No one even mentions that I don't have room for the 2 boxes of firewood strapped to the top of the rig? Sheesh...you guys are slipping!

Update

Got a call from the service monkey.

A bad/busted/frayed wire on the bracket for the fuel pump. Not sure which (i.e. busted, frayed, etc), but they're going to repair the wire and patch it back together.

They had ordered the bracket from Louisiana (although yesterday he told me he could source it out of Los Angeles in 1 day) because it wouldn't arrive until Friday. CDan's parts arrived over night as promised -- CDan ROCKS (have I said that yet? :D)!!!

Since the bracket won't arrive until Friday, that order was canceled and they decided to repair the wire. Any part not consumed for the repair will be returned to me. Rather than send it back, I'll keep all the parts and will order a fuel pump bracket from CDan on my next order...better yet, I'll order 2 (one as a spare in case we run into a similar situation on another trip.

When I have a couple hours to tackle the fuel pump, I'll replace it and keep the parts as trail spares.

They've promised to be done today -- I'll be making the (almost) 600 mile drive in a couple hours.

Whaddaya think??? Should I try my luck at the tables to see if I can "win" enough to break even?

...naw...that would just be dumb... ;p

EDIT:
Here's a pic of the offending wire -- the green one.
fuel pump bracket frayed wire2.jpg

The lame tow truck driver told Andy that he went down the road and did not find Doug. What he failed to mention is that he told this to AAA and they had cancelled the service call. If we would have known this, we would have driven back to Doug and have him call AAA again.

I think it was a comedy of errors that piled up.

Alvaro

So they don't think it's the pump? That is good news. If it's just the wire, you plan on replacing the pump anyways?

Good luck on your drive. I will be doing something similar on Friday. Driving to Rapid City to pick up my new Camper and back to Denver in one day.

I'm not sure if the diagnosis was explained, but traditionally the fuel pump is powered through the Main Relay that is switched ON by the ignition. If the pump is faulty and shorting (i.e. high resistance) too much current will be drawn through the EFI fuse. Although I would assume that there is a Fuel pump fuse that would go first.

Doug,

This is a great one for the archives. Very impressive to see that wire burnt like that. Is this thing anywhere near fuel?

Regards

Alvaro

NorCalDoug said:
Here's a pic of the offending wire -- the green one.

Is anyone else wondering what might have happened had that wire sparked before blowing the 15 amp fuse.... or if an enterprising DIY guy had stuck a 60 amp fuse in "just to test it out".

Visions of an exploding petrol tank come to mind.

-B-

I sure as heck would not get on the road without some seriously good evidence that the thing was indeed repaired and is running and all the loose ends are tied....
Good luck :)

well, if they sent you the pic, at least they're trying to be serious, that would be a good sign.
very odd to see that localized "burn" and just next to that metal tube, too... yikes!

Beowulf said:
Is anyone else wondering what might have happened had that wire sparked before blowing the 15 amp fuse.... or if an enterprising DIY guy had stuck a 60 amp fuse in "just to test it out".

-B-

Well my idea at the time of bridging the fuse with a thick wire would have worked. We would have found out where the problem was by following the smoke (or fire in this case). :D

Romer said:
So they don't think it's the pump? That is good news. If it's just the wire, you plan on replacing the pump anyways?

Good luck on your drive. I will be doing something similar on Friday. Driving to Rapid City to pick up my new Camper and back to Denver in one day.
No, not the pump, but based on what I've read in this thread and after speaking with CDan, I'll replace it anyhow. PM is better than dead on the road any day of the week.

Good luck on your drive as well -- at least yours has been planned for a while :D

Last edited:
alvarorb said:
Doug,

This is a great one for the archives. Very impressive to see that wire burnt like that. Is this thing anywhere near fuel?

Regards

Alvaro
If I read my diagram correctly, it's in the fuel tank. What I can't tell is what it's rubbing against...maybe the float arm?

Beowulf said:

-B-
We went as high as 20A, but no more. Always remember those famous last words, "hold my beer while I try this 60A fuse...we'll jumper it with that piece of wire if this don't work..." ;)

e9999 said:
I sure as heck would not get on the road without some seriously good evidence that the thing was indeed repaired and is running and all the loose ends are tied....
Good luck :)

well, if they sent you the pic, at least they're trying to be serious, that would be a good sign.
very odd to see that localized "burn" and just next to that metal tube, too... yikes!

Even though some of the other employees are not much better than a bunch of poo-flinging monkies, I have a pretty high level of respect for the mechanics at Toyota and Lexus dealerships.

The only reason I got the pic and the service that I originally expected is because I've spent the last 2 days beating on my order taker. My order taker monkey started off on the wrong foot and is just now understanding what I've come to expect from Lexus as far as their service goes...there's a reason I haven't questioned their abnormally high hourly shop rate... ;)

Doug,

Don't forget that with every Lexus service you get a car wash! Hold them to it my friend!

Safe journey.

alvarorb said:
Doug,

Is this thing anywhere near fuel?

Regards

Alvaro

It is submerged in fuel, depending on the level in the tank.....:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom