Dumbest thing PO did? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Did a search on the forum and found there wasn't a concise thread about the foibles and follies created by previous owners that have had to be remedied by us in order to keep our rigs on the road and cruising smooth. I thought it might be good therapy and a good way to feel some camaraderie when we are laying on the pavement cursing and asking "what the ....?!" while fixing some ridiculously routed hose or line or what-have-you. This might also serve as a warning for some poor lost soul who thinks it's a good idea to replace all the rotted weather stripping with huge beads of silicone caulking (I'm just speculating, but can see this happening somewhere). I'll start:

Hi, my name is Neil and I'm a 60-holic...

Driveshaft out of phase and one of the u-joint bolts missing: Talk about out of balance, the vibrations would start at about 50 and just kept growing anytime I was on the freeway. I thought initially I was going to drop the driveshaft and get it balanced (we've got a family run shop in town that's been in business since the 40's), when I got under the truck I noticed the phase, and when I went to set things right I noticed the missing bolt and nut in the rear. When I ordered a new one and held the set in my hand I figured a balance weight was about half the total weight of the nuts and bolts! Problem solved!

Power steering fluid in brake reservoir: I was experiencing the famous "brakes locking up slowly and not releasing" problem and figured it was probably old lines acting as reed valves. Ordered a full set of hoses before investigating anything (I know, I know), and when I went to drain some fluid out of the master before starting to flush out the old fluid prior to replacing the lines I saw the telltale red fluid sitting on top of the brake fluid. Needless to say, I got to replace front calipers, rear cylinders and all the soft hose too. Bonus was/is: brakes work great!!

Mauled brake backing plate: I noticed this before dealing with the brakes but didn't think too much about it until I actually replaced the rear pads, upon backing the shoes off with the starwheel and using the 2 bolts I had laying around to pop the drum off I realized what caused the damage to the lower backing plate; somebody decided that they could bypass backing off the wheel (or couldn't achieve it because they didn't know about the starwheel stop plate) or the drum was so badly seized to the hub, the only way to get off the drum would be to use a prybar/crowbar and try continually to attempt to pry off the offending drum thus mangling the poor backing plate rather than achieving the wanted result. On a side note; I had the same mindset eons ago when doing the brakes on my 56 buick for the first time. Being relatively new to wrenching on vehicles and thinking I had all the answers already, I placed a pry bar behind the mammoth drum and tried once, realizing what the end result would be I immediately ceased and realized miraculously that I could thread bolts into the seemingly random threaded holes in the drum and jack it off (yes, that is the only phrasing my mind will offer forth). I don't wheel in deep pits of gravel so I won't be replacing the backing plate anytime soon unless somebody offers one up for free dollars and fifty cents.

Long winded, yes. Am I at the end of my journey with repairing/replacing the PO's whoopsies? Probably not, but that's all I have s far to my recollection. Hopefully if nothing else, I have provided someone out there with a bit of entertainment, My wife doesn't understand half of what I rant and rave about when it comes to the 60, so I figured airing it here was better than boring her more.

Last edited:
Sprayed a coat of paint without doing proper body work. I was relatively naive at the time of purchase and didn't fully pick up on the implications; Now I've got rust bubbles to address.

"Gave the roof rack to the shop that was doing some work because it was heavy - they took $100 off of the bill." I sh*t you not, I was looking through the receipts after I bought the truck and on one of them there was a line that read "roof rack removal - $25". What a sucker...

He also had them put in the absolute cheapest AC Delco plugs they could get their hands on.

Last edited:
Left a puppy inside unattended for 15 minutes. The seats must have appeared tasty - front and rear. Scratched every window, too, except the windshield. But, this helped me get a deal on the truck.

FJ_62_PassSeat.png

Electric fuel pump ziptied to the frame with a homemeade wire extension crafted from lamp cord. I wish I had taken pictures.

Painted over rust spots that are now semi-painted rust bubbles

Rifle rack secured to the face of the dashboard with wood screws

Defunct alternator placed in lieu of smog pump..with all other smog components still intact

I'll stop there.

Funny, but I just realized that every time the phrase "shade tree mechanic" comes into my head, I unconsciously think "shady mechanic" instead.:facepalm:

mine was pretty much unmolested until I got it!! it was beat up a bit. the only groaner I've found was that the bolt on brackets for the stock running boards must have broke so they were welded to the frame. was a little annoying trying to get them off. otherwise I'm the bastard who changed everything (diesel swap and h55):clap:

Drilled holes in the roof to mount a roof rack. Of course one long screw punched all the way through the headliner.

I used a untreated 2x4 on my FJ40 as rear body mount. Nailed in through the sheet metal. From side to side. I was 17. It actually lasted to the death of that cruiser two years later. I also made that Fj40 into a mini FJ45 by cutting and riveting the body together. I blue skinned the fiber glass roof. Cut the rear of the frame off and extended it at the top of the wheel arch straight back with C channel for the flat deck. Two 1/2 bolts aside.

Sketchy and FUN!

Damn, just remembered this by way of social networking; po decided the best way to stop the exhaust leak was to JB weld the gaskets on the exhaust manifold flange. Pic is after air scaling the o gasket for approx 30 minutes ...

IMG_20160914_210419.jpg

Last edited:
I'll start a list...
Po performed zero maintenance for the entire 8 years he owned it. Not even an oil change.

Electric fuel pump ziptied to the frame with a homemeade wire extension crafted from lamp cord. I wish I had taken pictures.

Painted over rust spots that are now semi-painted rust bubbles

Rifle rack secured to the face of the dashboard with wood screws

Defunct alternator placed in lieu of smog pump..with all other smog components still intact

I'll stop there.

Winner so far. This is the one to beat. Great thread idea. This will be a very entertaining read haha!

Sold a 12HT cheap because it wouldn't start when warm.

Dropped and cleaned the tank, replaced fuel lines, replaced fuel filter and it was still awful. Dug a handful of s*** out of the water separator with a spoon and hey presto, she runs like a champ. About a week later i finally opened the "Filter" warning light to find out why it didn't work. I s*** you not he had removed the bulb.

I removed about 10kg of random wiring that wasn't fused and was mostly power cable from a house.

He had screwed the roof rack brackets to the gutters with self tappers

The rims were factory Nissan, the ones that look like sunraysias, +20 positive offset. He had used spacers to make it work it looked like it was about to fall over the track was so narrow.

He had a bit off pipe on the tailgate strut to prop it open as the struts were dead, and it would occasionally just drop. Hit him in the head while he was demonstrating how it worked. New ones were $20 delivered.

I could go on, I'm pretty sure he is Australia's answer to homer simpson.

Never had a PO but I'm enjoying these so far. I guess I have a contribution though... one dumb thing I did was put in cheap spark plugs, pretty sure that blew up my eBay HEI Distributor. Or maybe it was just the fact it was from eBay... :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom