Builds DUKE - 1993 HDJ80 / 1HD-T / 5-Speed / 3x Locked / LHD *A slow DIY build / resto* (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hahaha. You have a very classy setup. I totally agree with you, but like to pick my battles. It was the easy solution, given he amount of work I had to do on the rig with a deadline of a 8000 miles trip.

Cheers

i getchya, i bet your setup works well

I used to have the A pillar but I tend to use my 80 a bit for winter wheeling or ice climbing access. The dark icy winter roads on the way home at night maybe are a bit of a different scenario than what you have, the visibility is limited and seeing the road surface is important for judging speeds on windy roads with sharp corners into the base of the mountains in the ghost valley, couple that with 38” mud tires and one finds them being very focused on seeing the terrain.

Having a bright pyrometer near my face doesn’t help, and is totally unnecessary for me especially in winter roads where the engine runs cool anyways.

Pulling a heavy load up hills in the days in the hotter states has got to be a very different condition, but one I’m not exposed to.

I did have my 80 broken into once, gauge pods, stereo, CB, center console all torn out, plus they just cut any wiring attached to dash switches to get at it. I run a cheap deck and cobra night watch that aren’t hardly held in at all now. Hopefully much less attractive and easy to remove without destroying the interior. Having things less attractive to a potential thief is important to me for how I build or modify it.

i getchya, i bet your setup works well

I used to have the A pillar but I tend to use my 80 a bit for winter wheeling or ice climbing access. The dark icy winter roads on the way home at night maybe are a bit of a different scenario than what you have, the visibility is limited and seeing the road surface is important for judging speeds on windy roads with sharp corners into the base of the mountains in the ghost valley, couple that with 38” mud tires and one finds them being very focused on seeing the terrain.

Having a bright pyrometer near my face doesn’t help, and is totally unnecessary for me especially in winter roads where the engine runs cool anyways.

Pulling a heavy load up hills in the days in the hotter states has got to be a very different condition, but one I’m not exposed to.

I did have my 80 broken into once, gauge pods, stereo, CB, center console all torn out, plus they just cut any wiring attached to dash switches to get at it. I run a cheap deck and cobra night watch that aren’t hardly held in at all now. Hopefully much less attractive and easy to remove without destroying the interior. Having things less attractive to a potential thief is important to me for how I build or modify it.
Do you have photos of where you mounted them? I’m Curious to see in another 80.

Do you have photos of where you mounted them? I’m Curious to see in another 80.

here is an extensive gauge thread:

I was taking off the heat shield to install and EGT probe and uncovered a crack in the exhaust manifold leading to my turbo. F&$K

before I replace with OEM, any tips or other options I should look at? The oil is PB Blaster for the bolts. Everything was completely dry.

D39EFF54-1CF6-48D1-8FAD-5ECE16D8331F.jpeg

I was taking off the heat shield to install and EGT probe and uncovered a crack in the exhaust manifold leading to my turbo. F&$K

before I replace with OEM, any tips or other options I should look at? The oil is PB Blaster for the bolts. Everything was completely dry.

ordered new OEM manifold, gaskets, and all the little goodies...

the crack looks old and unaffected for years, so I do not think it goes all of the way through. Should be fine for our weekend camping trip Until the parts arrive.

As the parts get shipped in, a camping trip was in order. Went to Lytle Creek... Aired down the 33s for the first time... WHAT A DIFFERENCE! also cycles all 3 diffs for some crawling. Motor and everything worked flawlessly. The more I drive it, the healthier it gets.
FD765B33-29F8-4164-BC7A-C884962607BD.jpeg

A7E0B250-7F9C-4337-8C5A-4D29B7F99AD6.jpeg

Are you running stock suspension with the 33's? I think mine is on a 4-inch lift with 35"s but I am looking to lower, and go with 33"s. I am HJZ non-turbo and wanting more power and less smoke!

hzj.jpg

Are you running stock suspension with the 33's? I think mine is on a 4-inch lift with 35"s but I am looking to lower, and go with 33"s. I am HJZ non-turbo and wanting more power and less smoke!

View attachment 2340854
It is not stock height but it is an old saggy 2 in lift so maybe it’s close to stock height. I had the OME 2 in lift with 33s on my old 80 and it was great

Found yesterday on mine... :censor:

1592291947147.png

While I wait for the new manifolds, the new headlights arrived!
I just pulled the bulbs from the original lights and the popped right in. Pretty painless.
I love the look of these quad headlights so much more. Everything is reversable to OEM if I want to switch back.

F2A2C5B5-83A0-4D23-A327-01F697AD69E7.jpeg

before:
E67393B5-AB3B-48AE-B0CA-5AD186E8D42C.jpeg

after:
DF0C2576-BE4B-427C-8090-7A2C93283227.jpeg

What a job this turned out to be... 😑😬🙄

I went to instal an EGT gauge and found a crack in my exhaust manifold... I ordered new studs, gaskets, manifold... the works. Wasn’t too pricey from partsouq. I think the total was around $500.

The old:
A1BA4F81-83F3-4151-97C4-21207823748C.jpeg

Removing the damn things was real pain... I ended up having to take part the exaust to the Cat and removing al brackets and hoses leading to the turbo. Two studs were stuck and i could not get to them with the manifold in the way.

I tapped the new manifold and ceramic coated the heat shields.

After wiggling and forcing the old manifold off, putting the new one on was just as annoying, but bolt after bolt, i did it. I ended up having to take out all of the studs leading in the block, then fitting the manifold to the turbo, THEN adding all of the studs back into the block through the manifold. Things were not lining up if i tried the other way around.

6E50AD3E-8F11-4B14-ADC3-14DA7C911A80.jpeg

79EBDAF9-5D84-4BF1-9F42-F2551AA779F3.jpeg

BC1C1C8D-772C-4090-A266-97CE7838D2CF.jpeg

EF2EAD04-6F50-4BB7-8C66-17F0E4574E8F.jpeg

What a job this turned out to be... 😑😬🙄

I went to instal an EGT gauge and found a crack in my exhaust manifold... I ordered new studs, gaskets, manifold... the works. Wasn’t too pricey from partsouq. I think the total was around $500.

The old:
View attachment 2348076

Removing the damn things was real pain... I ended up having to take part the exaust to the Cat and removing al brackets and hoses leading to the turbo. Two studs were stuck and i could not get to them with the manifold in the way.

I tapped the new manifold and ceramic coated the heat shields.

After wiggling and forcing the old manifold off, putting the new one on was just as annoying, but bolt after bolt, i did it. I ended up having to take out all of the studs leading in the block, then fitting the manifold to the turbo, THEN adding all of the studs back into the block through the manifold. Things were not lining up if i tried the other way around.

View attachment 2348078

View attachment 2348080

View attachment 2348081

View attachment 2348082
EDC81F63-2FD3-4C41-9828-FF5D7112691F.jpeg

ALL DONE! Time to wire up the gauges.

EGT and BOOST gauges hooked up, I think they are calibrated well. I’d love to hear numbers on the 1hdt and what I should be looking out for! Everything on mine is OEM For the most part.

EGT probe is pre turbo. Boost vacuum hose was tied into the hose coming out of the ‘turbo’ crossover manifold.

Initial tests show:
Idle after warmed - EGT ~360F / BOOST ~4.6 PSI
110kph @ ~2500RPM - EGT ~600-800F / BOOST ~10 PSI
During acceleration onto highway - EGT ~1000 - 1200F / BOOST ~12PSI
Short burst of full acceleration - EGT ~1100 - 1400F

id love to hear any thought on these numbers and any recommended adjustments.

EGT and BOOST gauges hooked up, I think they are calibrated well. I’d love to hear numbers on the 1hdt and what I should be looking out for! Everything on mine is OEM For the most part.

EGT probe is pre turbo. Boost vacuum hose was tied into the hose coming out of the ‘turbo’ crossover manifold.

Initial tests show:
Idle after warmed - EGT ~360F / BOOST ~4.6 PSI
110kph @ ~2500RPM - EGT ~600-800F / BOOST ~10 PSI
During acceleration onto highway - EGT ~1000 - 1200F / BOOST ~12PSI
Short burst of full acceleration - EGT ~1100 - 1400F

id love to hear any thought on these numbers and any recommended adjustments.
the Final dash instal. Looks awesome! Visible and clear. The Auber Instruments have that period look too!

09585215-9B3E-401C-8107-06EB1D2CBA64.jpeg

9B68174C-542A-4814-A6D1-43301EC9FF62.jpeg

70553FF4-B883-48E0-9E80-909BD722F5F8.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom