DUI HEI installation instructions ??? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

X12

the gear on the dizzy is second rate... i would get an fj60 dizzy or a non-usa/ E-69 dizzy

my version of the DUI instructions is........don't install unless you want a new motor :D

X12

the gear on the dizzy is second rate... i would get an fj60 dizzy or a non-usa/ E-69 dizzy

Is that right. Funny, MAF sent DUI the Toyota dissy gear to install on the DUI HEI dissy they sell on the web site. So what your saying appears to be incorrect, unless you were refering to a non DUI HEI dissy.

As was said before, just because MAF may do it right, the brand is forever tainted.

Landpimp had it take out his entire engine. Others have had the same problem. On top of that, DUI only wanted to reimburse them for the busted distributor.

Since there's a factory option that works well and isn't tainted in the same way, a lot of people prefer it.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. All 4 electronic ignition options are good ones, provided they're all done right.

NO, I stand behind what i say, The DUI is second rate because of the gear. That not to say that a DUI from Man-A-Fre is no good but a DUI with out a toyota gear is no good. And as a whole they have proven to be more problems then they are worth

Is that right. Funny, MAF sent DUI the Toyota dissy gear to install on the DUI HEI dissy they sell on the web site. So what your saying appears to be incorrect, unless you were refering to a non DUI HEI dissy.

I have never seen a Cruiser electronic ignition deteriorate as is mentioned above inthis thread. I have seen a few die over they years. But that can be said about any brand.

I have seen two of the DUIs dies quickly because DUI did not put the right gear on them. One of these just barely survived the initial 20 minute break in run of a brand new engine. I've talked first hand with several other foks who have experienced the same thing.

Folks have been doing the HEI swap a lot longer than DUI has been selling theirs. We all knew that you had to swap the gears and it was/is routine.

Until MAF went after DUI because of customer complaints they didn't even admit there was a problem.

I've got a DUI here that the owner told me to keep when I put a Toy ignition in for him instead. I told him I could put the right gear on it and make it the way it should be. He didn't even want to mess with it again. Once the correct gear is installed there is no reason to expect any further trouble. Eventually I may install it in one of my own rigs for a while. IF I can figure out how to make it even half as waterproof as the OEM unit. IMHO the Toy dist is a higher quality unit and if you recurve it it is a better choice than the HEI/DUI. But I don't see any benefit of the DUI over a plain jane HEI swap.

Mark...

I should have been more clear in my above post... not all of the swaps that I been associated with were DUI/ Davis Unified Ignition... I've gotten into the habit of referring to the GM-HEI as DUI... some have been gear swap GM and some Mallory, they make one also.. But never one from MAF...the ones I have come across that failed were these--- http://www.geocities.com/calcide/fj402fhei.html Every conversion I have done has been checked first with a test fit.. I keep a bare block with a cam installed just for this purpose.. the dizzy can be installed and gear alignment and back lash checked from the bottom.... I feel better knowing that they fit before the actual install... helps me sleep better at nite... I just ordered one of these-- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYO...ryZ33690QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem they are a bit $$ less...well will see..

Last edited:
There are other reasons, other than the gear, that can and have caused problems with HEI systems but it seems to me that they are installation/operator errors more than any inherent failing of the HEI system. Some have used the OEM mounting flange and incurred problems if there was no free space that allowed the rotor plate to move up and down slightly. Others have ground the flange completely off in attempts to duplicate the Toyota mounting/sealing method but not done an adequate job and then had leaking. The HEI shaft barely has enough metal to support turning a groove deep enough to use the Toyota o-ring and the portion where a Toyota clamp would have to fit is smaller in diameter than Toyota's so it takes careful and good work to obtain a good seal.

I've got two HEI distributors here, one from a truck I had bought, the other from a local junkyard. The first has DUI's engraved advance curve specs on it and did not have the Toyota gear though it now does. I keep thinking to use one of them because I like the self contained aspect (no external coil/ignitor and much simpler, cleaner wiring. The additional spark voltage can't hurt for starting and it'll be needed when I build a 2F to get it's max output at 8000 rpm. :)

Others have ground the flange completely off in attempts to duplicate the Toyota mounting/sealing method but not done an adequate job and then had leaking. The HEI shaft barely has enough metal to support turning a groove deep enough to use the Toyota o-ring and the portion where a Toyota clamp would have to fit is smaller in diameter than Toyota's so it takes careful and good work to obtain a good seal.

. :)

Exactly my problem. I deepened the groove with a jeweler's file but still had problems getting the right sized O ring (from my meager supply)
The result was that it leaked slightly, but I knew it was completely seated. The oil leak was just one of many on my old motor, so not too big of a deal. I think with a little effort and a better selection of O rings it could be made leak-free.
I also liked the compact-ness of the setup.
Most of the failures, I agree, are all about installation.:doh:

Ed

I'm allowed to swap to a distributor with the same advance curve and with vacuum retard. No vacuum advance allowed, even if it's disconnected.

Thus, I'm screwed.

How do they know that the vacuum line is advance or retard? How do they check to confirm that the advance curve is the same as the original? The DUI HEI dissy has one vacuum line hooked to it and your telling us that the inspection station measures the advance and compares it to the info they have on all the advance curves for every vehicle made in the last 30 years. I don't think so.

As was said before, just because MAF may do it right, the brand is forever tainted.

Landpimp had it take out his entire engine. Others have had the same problem. On top of that, DUI only wanted to reimburse them for the busted distributor.

Since there's a factory option that works well and isn't tainted in the same way, a lot of people prefer it.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. All 4 electronic ignition options are good ones, provided they're all done right.

Well I guess I owe Landpimp an apology. I did not realize that he installed a DUI HEI dissy and had it take out his entire engine.

How do they know that the vacuum line is advance or retard? How do they check to confirm that the advance curve is the same as the original? The DUI HEI dissy has one vacuum line hooked to it and your telling us that the inspection station measures the advance and compares it to the info they have on all the advance curves for every vehicle made in the last 30 years. I don't think so.

The advance curve they really wouldn't be able to test.

The vacuum retard is easy. The diaphram is on the other side of the distributor.

I could have passed just fine with the HEI had I not gone into the referee station for my emissions. On top of that, I'm friends with the guy. As he puts it, he'll put his job over his friends getting an extra few horsepower.

Note too that Advent is dealing with the Referee, not just the corner gas station tha has a license to do emission testing. Generally the guys working the Referee station know their stuff.

Mark...

Note too that Advent is dealing with the Referee, not just the corner gas station tha has a license to do emission testing. Generally the guys working the Referee station know their stuff.

Mark...

I think he spent two full days searching for the smog information because the first thing his computer turned up was 'not applicable' when he ran my VIN.

Landpimp had it take out his entire engine. .

Where is this thread?

No, really....I want to read it...

Thanks!

-Steve

I like the Toy distributors but I also have a Performance Distributors DUI and it rocks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom