Dualmatic hubs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Under the moonlight, the serious moonlight.
Hey guys, any body have any experience with Dualmatic hubs. I have access to a pair on a '71 and was wondering if how they compare to the Warns I'm running now. Not that there is anything wrong with my Warns, but if I have something better just lying around, why shouldn't I use them? I know that they were used on some Chevy's and some military Dodges, but that's all I know. Once again I seek the wisdom of the Land Cruiser Collective. Enjoy.:beer:

I had a set on a '49 Willis once... and there is a '57 FJ25 in my area that has a set....can't speak for the 25 owner... but the ones I had on the Willis sucked! I would stay with the warns.... although I have heard rumors that best-top marketing a hub of that name... got any pics to clarify??

AKA, "Cutlass" hubs?

Ed

I was only going to swap them out if a bunch of people said, "Wow, those kick ass! Can I have 'em?" No one has said anything good about them so far....

That's the one... if you want them as a piece of memorabilia ?? go for it.. otherwise stay with the warn.....

WTF??? how do they work?? I've seen a couple of pics of these type of hubs but figured they where locked all the time. So they can be disengaged then? thanks Ken

I would say that they are stronger than a Warn, and I have had both. The only reason I sold mine was that they were for coarse-splined axles. There is more steel in those than a Warn hub.
Yes, they are selectable. Pull the knives out, turn 360* and put the knife back x2

Ed

not trying to step on any veterans toes but I had a pair of those, don't the "knives" just get turned 180*?:doh:

not trying to step on any veterans toes but I had a pair of those, don't the "knives" just get turned 180*?:doh:

Quite right. The knives "seem" to get turned 360*, but they make a MoJo turn in the middle. Thanks for the correction.:flipoff2:

Ed:beer: :D

They are a PITA. Just my 2 cents.

I have a set on my '72. Two "knives" as someone called the blades per hub to pull out, turn 180 degrees, etc. the slightest bend in that thin blade and they dont work well. I have a set of Warn hubs to replace these.

They are a PITA. Just my 2 cents.

I have a set on my '72. Two "knives" as someone called the blades per hub to pull out, turn 180 degrees, etc. the slightest bend in that thin blade and they dont work well. I have a set of Warn hubs to replace these.

The "knives" thing refers to the common "Cutlass" designation.

If you look at the design, it is hard to see how they would get bent if they were used properly. JMO.

You would have to bend/break/destroy a lot of heavier-duty s*** before you bent the knives/blades;)

And I don't think(IIRC) that there is any aluminum or zinc/white metal in them.......that's why I think they are stronger than the same period of Warns....lower profile, too:beer:

Ed

Ed

when I checked around for any feedback with mine, the only two negative replies I recieved was that the knives sometimes filled up with mud and or snow/ice and wer hard to pick out. Secondly as previously stated they wer course splined

Dualmatic acquired the Cutlass design at a later date, by the looks of it cheapened up the materials. The Warn is easier to use, more weatherproof and a better design.

Here's an excellent page on the Cutlass hub. The one shown is a very early example before the levers were added. Guts are pretty much the same:
WillysTech Cutlass Hubs.

they're a very cool novelty, but that's about it. they are a bit of a pita to get aligned, just by design. if it's a rig that you'll wheel, i'd say no.

i'll trade you a set of selectros for yours if you're interested. i have a friend who wants a set for a museum rig he's building, and i don't want to give up mine.

Lol you want to talk strange.

1247921-DSC00429.JPG

1247921-DSC00430.JPG

Imagine wheeling with this and you hit a rock with it and the knob breaks off.

I like my Selectros, just grab ahold of the thing and turn it, use both hands, they'll turn.

Only time one failed was years ago when my dad still drove my 40, he only plowed snow in the winter with it fro years. He let the bolts loosen up on the drive flange and the hub finally sheared the bolts and fell off in a snow bank. We found it after some digging and put it back on. We later found that the white metal cam ring peice had gotton cracked and broken. Replaced it and it is good as new. I've never had an issue with them under normal use.

Personnaly on the Warns, dads Ford pickup had them stock, that is what Ford has used for years. They were pieces of crap and incredibly hard to dismantle to service the front end. He traded out for milemarkers, those are easier to service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom