Drooping sunvisor fix? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The drivers side sunvisor on my '97 FZJ has been drooping since I bought it a year ago. I know it's a minor thing relative to most of the posts here but it's kind of annoying. Is there a fix any of you can recommend? Many thanks.

It looks like a PITA.

1. New ones don't appear to be available.
2. Used ones are going to be just as bad as what you have.
3. "Fixing" it involves peeling off the fabric, which is glued to the visor, so once it is "fixed" it will look like crap.

I'm wondering if a newer part from a more recent vintage vehicle will fit.
visor3.jpg
visor2.jpg
visor1.jpg

Ill post up pics later today. There is a piece of metal inside that u can squeeze with a set of large pliers and fix the droop. I learned this off the another lexus forum website.

They are available but expensive. You can go to the hardware store and get those super magnets. Stack a few and put them in headliner. Then put one in/on back of visor. Look at my snoopy build thread. It's on the first page. There are a few detailed write ups here on mud I think if you search.

My temporary solution was to use velcro until I could figure out something better. I was literally about to rip them out with brute force one day when I was fed up and so red-faced angry I couldn't hold a screwdriver steady.

I have heard that visors from a '94- '04 Ford Mustang are a direct fit but somewhat smaller coverage. I don't really care so I got a pair off fleabay for $40 shipped so when they get here we will see and I'll post back here. Heres a link to a pic with the Mustang visor.

http://www.davespizzaoven.com/visor.jpg

Mine does this sometimes. I'm considering applying some tape to the inside of the groove were the visor clicks into, as opposed to modifying the arm itself.

Chrysler New Yorker is a good fit with double visor to boot!

Alrighty I'm gonna bump this thread sorry.
So according to the marks website I'm not following what he's pushing the nail threw..is there a thin steel plate that wraps around the horizontal bar that creates tension...And over time the tension releases which causes the floppy'ness??
And the added bolts restore that tension??

Thanks guys. This seems like the better option to me.

Alrighty I'm gonna bump this thread sorry.
So according to the marks website I'm not following what he's pushing the nail threw..is there a thin steel plate that wraps around the horizontal bar that creates tension...And over time the tension releases which causes the floppy'ness??
And the added bolts restore that tension??

Thanks guys. This seems like the better option to me.

Yes.

And they thoughtfully provided two #8 holes to put some small bolts through. Be sure to find them, first, or you risk ripping up your visors.

Last edited:
I tried a couple of home fixes on the "droops" and was unhappy. I found new (gray only) OEM non-USA visors on Cruiserparts.net for $75 each. They don't have the vanity mirror or light, but I don't need that anyway. My Cruiser has the Oak color interior, but the Gray doesn't look bad at all.

I just noticed they only offer the RH side.

Search Results : CruiserParts.net, Toyota Landcruiser Parts

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom