Drooping Visors? $9/Repair - Photos (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.intechrv.com
I've got to tell you I hated the idea of replacing a perfectly fine sun visor just because it droops, but truth be told, I can't stand the drooping! I broke down and paid $100 from CruiserParts to replace my badly drooping visor only to get a not as badly drooping, but still unacceptable drooping visor. The explanation was I can buy a $200 new one that doesn't droop at all.

So...I took my old visor which was actually a little ratty looking any way and tore it apart to see how this thing actually worked and what causes the drooping...see images below. NOTE: The image shows the frame after I removed the molded foam that was underneath the cover...you will NOT be doing this the visor you repair...there is NO cutting, I was simply looking over how this thing works.

DSC_0200.jpg

The above image show the skeletal frame...without posting all the closeup detailed images, you can see that there is a clip that wraps around the plastic post that slides into a sleeve...the clip presses down and holds the visor in place and it appears it also creates the friction point that keeps the visor up in place. The plastic behind this deteriorates and eventually no longer holds the visor in place...squeezing down on this metal sleeve will tighten it but I would imagine it won't last long and would likely damage the operation of the visor.

I have a $9.00 fix...simple and easy, not major tools necessary and only takes about 15 minutes per visor. This repair is easiest if your Cruiser has a sunroof...if not, you will have a little more trouble that I will detail later.

You will need to purchase a set of highly powerful magnets...see below. Small in size, these magnets are big on power...really big! I bought them at ACE Hardware for $9.00

DSC_0208.jpg

You will need to pull the mirror off the back side of the visor...I did this repair with the visor in the truck and did not need to remove it. You use a small screwdriver to pull the lens off the light that is built into the visor. One that is pulled off you will need to unscrew the mirror...this releases one side of the mirror, the other has some small tabs on the back side that fit behind a portion of the wire frame of the visor.

DSC_0212.jpg

Once this is removed, it will hang down from the visor and out of the way. You are going to take ONE of the magnets and apply a small piece of tape (shown to the right of the image showing the magnet packaging)...I used 3M VHB tape, you can get this at Staples, but I would imagine you could use just about any durable tape that is double sided (I didn't include the tape cost in the cost of the total repair as you will likely have some tape laying around).

I took the magnet with the tape and slid it in through the hole that is left after removing the mirror...I slid it toward the forward section of the visor away from the window and closest to your head if you were sitting in your seat with the visor in front of you, or in simpler terms...down toward the bottom of the visor as it is shown in the above image. It's best to position the magnet just to the right of the farthest opening to the right...a few inches or so is good. Make certain the tape side is facing the foam in the visor leaving the magnet against the interior of the cover facing the headliner when the visor is folded in the up position. You don't want the magnets power to have to travel through anymore material than necessary.

Once this magnet is in place you can replace the mirror in the reverse order you removed it and you're done with this are...next we move on to the placement of the remaining two magnets in the headliner area.

Something to make sure of is that you will need to make certain you are aware of the sides of the magnets that attract to each other...as you read ahead, you will find that you are also going to put magnets above the headliner...they need to attract each other, not repel each other, so install carefully and pay attention.

Continued....
DSC_0200.jpg
DSC_0208.jpg
DSC_0212.jpg

Now you need to pull the trim piece that goes the interior of the sunroof that holds the headliner in place, you don't need to remove the entire trim, just the front section back around the corner a bit...enabling you to drop the headliner down an inch or two...don't force it down too hard as the material can tear...but you can muscle it a bit without issue.

DSC_0222.jpg

I took the two remaining magnets from the set of three and stacked them up...this made them more powerful and enables them to attract to the magnet located in the visor through the headliner. I put the magnets on the tip of a long flat head screwdriver. I pulled down the headliner a bit and pushed the magnets forward just past the lip in the headliner...one the magnets are in place they will pull the visor up snug to the headliner....then you know you have the correct placement.

DSC_0224.jpg

Once you've determined the proper position, pull the magnets back out...I put a longer piece of tape over the magnets (not double sided tape...use single sided). The tape is positioned to tape the two stacked magnets to the headliner...NOT the roof. You need the magnets as close as possible with as little interference as possible.

When I push the taped magnets back into the opening above the headliner I held the visor up and let the magnets find their way to each other...when they "snap" into place I used my fingers to press the tape down to hold the magnets in place.

DSC_0227.jpg

Once the magnets are all in place you can put the trim back around the sunroof and you're done! It's fast easy repair and as you can see in the above image, the magnets hold the visor perfectly in place.

I would imagine you could likely put a piece of steel in the visor and stack the magnets above the headliner and potentially achieve the same result, but the magnets really pull best to each other over magnet to metal...you can try this either way, but I went this route and it works perfectly...a little pull and the visor releases...magnets stay in place and I can use the visor...when I'm done, flip it up and the magnets hold it in place.

No cuts, no tears...easy install and no new or used expensive visors!!
DSC_0224.jpg
DSC_0222.jpg
DSC_0227.jpg

Nice write up. I used industrial strenght glue and velcro. It works but looks like crap. I wish I would have thought of this. It's functional and invisible. The glue I used is never coming off so unfortunately I'm stuck with my bad idea for a fix.

I tried some industrial velcro the other day...it has been hot here lately and as I suspected, the velcro didn't hold in the heat and had come off. It also, for some reason, wasn't holding the visor as close to the headliner as I would have liked it to. I was really surprised at how easy this was to do and how well it really worked.

Where exactly do you put the magnets inside the visor?

Great idea!

I think the high powered magnets may be too strong? It seems that you can use normal magnet as the visor isn't that heavy.

IDK, I have some high powered magnets that would end up destroying the visors trying to get them apart :D

Just got done doing this and it works great.:cheers: I might do the pass-side one too before it starts to sag.:)

The magnets are placed in the visor on the mirror side, in between the visor skin and the foam, so it is actually embedded inside the visor...it is placed toward the end, furthest from the windshield.

I found you really needed the powerful magnets. When I did the passenger side I did a double dose of magnets spread out a little bit. It wasn't holding with just the one set. But it holds great now. You don't need much pressure to pull it down but it holds nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

I'll be trying this. I've rigged up some small bungie cords, but they aren't working like I was hoping.

My plan though is to tear apart old hard drives for their magnets. They seem to be pretty strong. Not sure how they compare to yours.

Tried the hard drive magnets last night. They aren't strong enough. I could get the magnets to find each other, but no luck getting them to hold. Guess I'll be stopping by Ace on the way home from work.

Visor

Do not need it at the moment,but it is a really easy and smart fix for whenever I must.Thanks:clap:

Good work to both Skhochay and MrOffShore. This has been bothering me and I couldn't bring myself to spend $200 on a visor. I had thought of magnets but never would have come up with either solution without a lot of trial and error.

I ordered my magnets tonight :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom