Double Shear Tire Carrier Hinge/Spindle Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey
So, having a bit of trouble finding an answer for this. On my last vehicle I built a rear bumper and did the "great big bolt through some bronze bushings thing" for a hinge, and it worked OK. Wasn't pretty or anything.

Now that I have a Cruiser, I want to do something nicer. I was looking at the Competition4x4 heavy duty spindles, but I like the idea of having a double shear unit for piece of mind.

If a person were to weld a double shear bracket, rather than bolt the top bracket, that leaves no way to remove the arm, correct? Or is there some sort of fancy manipulation magic that I'm missing which would allow it to happen?

You can't you use a bolt?

IMG_6817.JPG

As i mentioned i did the bolt thing with my last vehicle, but was wanting to try something nicer this time around. I just don't like the idea of a single shear hinge, regardless how sturdy everyone claims they are.

I did mention the comp4x4 spindle, but like I said, I like the idea of doing a double shear strength-wise if possible. Has anyone had any trouble with the single shear spindles and weight? This will be a 35" tire + a couple of bicycles on one swing arm, and then bikes, ladder, hi-lift, jerry cans on the other one.

Ah. I am not familar with the Comp4x4 spindle but it looks like all the others. There have been folks that have mounted a tire with a couple of bikes. The 4x4 labs bumper comes into mind since it uses the traditional spindle setup with dual swing outs and hasn't had issues. In reality, the 4x4 labs bumper has 3 planes of welding performed on it.

IMG_2628 (Large).jpg

My bump it offroad bumper has a 37" tire along with hi-lift on one side and I don't notice any issues with it. Honestly, the welds will most likely fail before the spindle breaks as it's a solid piece of steel.

Last edited:
Ah. I am not familar with the Comp4x4 spindle but it looks like all the others. There have been folks that have mounted a tire with a couple of bikes. The 4x4 labs bumper comes into mind since it uses the traditional spindle setup with dual swing outs and hasn't had issues. In reality, the 4x4 labs bumper has 3 planes of welding performed on it.

View attachment 1439086

My bump it offroad bumper has a 37" tire along with hi-lift on one side and I don't notice any issues with it. Honestly, the welds will most likely fail before the spindle breaks as it's a solid piece of steel.

Thanks for feedback. Do you know offhand if the BIO bumper you have has the common 1 1/4" spindle or the heavier 1 3/4"?

Edit - Nevermind. I got my lazy ass to check their website, it's a 1 3/4" spindle on both sides.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom