Welding questions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Overhead Welds: Any tips or tricks? I’m just doing some repairs to utility trailer. Replaced a crossmember. 1/8” tube with solid 1/8” slug insert behind. Same heat as flat or should I reduce heat? Wire speed same or faster?

Vertical welds: Some prefer top to bottom. Others bottom to top. I think bottom to top is best way to control puddle?

Welder is an older Lincoln Electric 175 Plus. Using .023 wire since I normally am doing 1/8” and less.

Ask 10 welders, get 10 different opinions. Check out welding tips and tricks youtube videos. They're very good.

For me, overhead is easier than vertical. Vertical should typically be done uphill. Going vertical down can cause you to not get penetration into the root. Your puddle could flow over and not down into it. However, you can get away on it with sheet metal. Maybe on 1/8"? I'd go uphill.

Good luck with your project.

Yup, uphill worked. And I was surprised how easy the overhead went. Added wire speed to keep up and it went well. Thanks.

Yup, uphill worked. And I was surprised how easy the overhead went. Added wire speed to keep up and it went well. Thanks.
Overhead is wayyyy easier than vertical.

Ask 10 welders, get 10 different opinions. Check out welding tips and tricks youtube videos. They're very good.

For me, overhead is easier than vertical. Vertical should typically be done uphill. Going vertical down can cause you to not get penetration into the root. Your puddle could flow over and not down into it. However, you can get away on it with sheet metal. Maybe on 1/8"? I'd go uphill.

Good luck with your project.

I agree on the uphill unless you are able to get a wire/gas combo that can do both, dual shield being one of them. I found going downhill low wirespeed and a little hotter would create appropriate penetration. If you weld it on your horizontal or overhead settings you are completely right the puddle doesn't want to pen.

I was taught to always weld up hill while pushing, push to penetrate. Your weld bead acts like a damn and keeps the puddle from flowing down. For overhead just wear good protection, turn up the heat, fill the pool, and spread the love 🤣

man i hate overhead and do better with vertical haha. For vertical mig, always bottom to top, and always decrease your voltage and wire speed to combat the puddle globbing up and try and keep your stickout short. You can go at a slower moderate pace and make little triangles pointing upwards. The lower settings allow you to slow it down some to try and focus on your penetration as you go up since you are running it a little colder. You can take your chart on your welder and just jump down a thickness or two for your settings. Just keep an eye on your toes and make sure you have good tie in. When you practice you can kinda experiment where to go quick and where to slow down in your travel using the triangle, its got 3 points. Some people use whats called upside down V but when i do that one I glob it all up, but im not a professional welder so im probably doing it wrong

I never weld material thick enough to do 3 passes but this image shows the pattern really well

VerticalUp_MulitPass2.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom