double checkin the ausie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
just wanted to post a few questions, i have been running my aussie locker in my truck now for about 3 months and still get freaked out when it bang and pops when i turn sharp but thats normal right? next question it seems like it is hard on the tranny and drivetrain, when it jerks it jerks all of it and sometimes if im going slow and it starts to chug a chug it feels like its moving everyting behind the engine, is this normal as well and will it break things? thanks :cheers:

theres not one person with an aussie locker out there?

I've had mine for a little over a month. Does as you have described. It took me a while to get used to it and how to drive it without the pops. I've only had one loud bang though and that ws in the 1st 2min of driving. Check tire pressure. Have found that even a pound off can cause issues.

Havent heard a thing out of mine in 2 years. Too many other noises to hear probably.
First bang after assembly and not a lick since.

Been through 3 birfs, and a chromo pig inner axle too.

I have a pair of aussie's installed on my rig (approx 5months).
only one loud click from the rear, front has yet to complain...

manny

I had a lock-right in mine, after driving a bit it wouldn't want to unlock. Then it would release all at once with a loud bang and the whole rig doing a little wiggle. Mine did it and a buddy's in his heep. Never caused a problem and worked good.

My EZ-Locker in the rear does the same thing. You'll get used to coasting around corners and pushing in the clutch when she starts to "buck" like that. Just the way of the autolocker. Learn to keep the "bucking and banging" to a minimum and you'll be okay...

Jody.

My Aussie has been in a year. I experience the same behavior you do basically. No bangs since day 1, but I also clutch and coast on corners a lot now if it starts to buck.

Have you drained the diff and checked the fluid?

Automatic lockers (like the Aussie) like to have constant, even pressure on either the drive (accelerate) or coast side (decelerate) of the ring gear for smooth, quiet operation. Then bang and pop when you go back and forth between drive and coast in a turn or when shifting. Keep practicing. You will get the hang of it.

Any Automatic Locker adds backlash to work properly. The Aussie Locker adds significantly less backlash than others so the handling changes with an Aussie tend to be less, but still there in some vehicles. The shorter wheelbase and lighter vehicles tend to notice the backlash more than those with more weight or longer wheel bases. Coasting through a corner is the recommended way to drive on highway, and the recommendation to check tire pressure is excellent, as that can cause all sorts of issues. For those that do not like the click, you may want to use 85-140 gear oil. The added traction the Ausse Locker provides comes with some changes in handling and sounds in your truck.

thanks fellas, i thought it was normal but always expect the worse when i do things myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom