Door Hinges (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MOC

Threads
I remove my top and doors every spring and put them back on every fall. I have OEM door hinges that are a pain to remove. Anyone have any luck removing only the pin from the OEM hinges?

It looks like MC Designs is still making the quick hinges. A few questions:

1. It looks like they can simply be bolted in place but I see comments about welding them in place. I don't see why welding is necessary.
2. Do I need to caulk where the hinge meets the body frame?
3. Does anyone have experience with painting the hinges? Guessing I can just prime and paint with a rattle can.

Thanks.

I just removed mine tonight for the first time. Popped the pin out. Took about 2 minutes per door with a second set of hands to hold the doors. Very simple.

I remove my top and doors every spring and put them back on every fall. I have OEM door hinges that are a pain to remove. Anyone have any luck removing only the pin from the OEM hinges?

1. It looks like they can simply be bolted in place but I see comments about welding them in place. I don't see why welding is necessary.
3. Does anyone have experience with painting the hinges? Guessing I can just prime and paint with a rattle can.

Thanks.

Go this route from @SMG . If you're only pulling the doors once per year these SS pins are probably a better option. Takes me about 5 minutes to pull both doors.

The pins will come out of the oem hinges, it'll just take some effort depending on what you have to work with. You'll have to pivot the windshield forward a few inches to get the upper pins out. Do some searching in the forum and you'll find plenty of threads with pics.

Last edited:
I have seen somewhere people grinding one side of the top pin down a little so you don't have to fold windshield. Anyone try this?

^yes

Thanks.

1. Not sure why you would want to weld them, you would lose the ability to adjust them. Mine are just bolted on to the stock mounting plates.

2. Yes, you will want to do that, because the opening in the tub is large enough to be able to move the hinges for adjustment.

3. That's what I did.

Any reason why the smg pins couldn't be installed upside down? At least the top one?

Folding the windshield on a hard top is an ordeal. A snorkel just adds to the fun.

I haven't taken mine out of the box yet, just hasn't been a pressing project. I thought they had a threaded end on one end? Some measure would need to be taken to keep it from coming unthreaded, but that doesn't seem too challenging.

Any reason why the smg pins couldn't be installed upside down? At least the top one?

Folding the windshield on a hard top is an ordeal. A snorkel just adds to the fun.

I haven't taken mine out of the box yet, just hasn't been a pressing project. I thought they had a threaded end on one end? Some measure would need to be taken to keep it from coming unthreaded, but that doesn't seem too challenging.
Threaded on both ends, so could take out top and push down through.

Go this route from @SMG . If you're only pulling the doors once per year these SS pins are probably a better option. Takes me about 5 minutes to pull both doors.

The pins will come out of the oem hinges, it'll just take some effort depending on what you have to work with. You'll have to pivot the windshield forward a few inches to get the upper pins out. Do some searching in the forum and you'll find plenty of threads with pics.
Are the pins threaded? My pins have a rounded top which leads me to believe they aren't threaded. I removed one hinge from the tub, put it in a vice and pounded on the pins but can't get them to budge. Afraid I'll start damaging the pins if I pound any harder. Might be easier to replace all the hinges.

Are the pins threaded? My pins have a rounded top which leads me to believe they aren't threaded. I removed one hinge from the tub, put it in a vice and pounded on the pins but can't get them to budge. Afraid I'll start damaging the pins if I pound any harder. Might be easier to replace all the hinges.

The OEM pins are not threaded. You just have to pound them out. A 3 pounds drilling hammer and correct size punch is what I used. I don't know if having the hinge off the truck in a vice is doing you any favors. Having it bolted on to the body and door with the door shut is way more solid than a vice could do without damaging the hinge. This was not an easy job for sure. Can you take a couple pictures of what you're working with and posting them up? Depending on the condition we might have different suggestions for you. Most people go with the @SMG pins b/c they don't want to deal with the tub-side hinge bolts. I assume you pulled off the passenger side? The driver side is a bigger PITA. I took one look at where those bolts were and about 3 seconds later decided to just use @SMG pins.

The OEM pins are not threaded. You just have to pound them out. A 3 pounds drilling hammer and correct size punch is what I used. I don't know if having the hinge off the truck in a vice is doing you any favors. Having it bolted on to the body and door with the door shut is way more solid than a vice could do without damaging the hinge. This was not an easy job for sure. Can you take a couple pictures of what you're working with and posting them up? Depending on the condition we might have different suggestions for you. Most people go with the @SMG pins b/c they don't want to deal with the tub-side hinge bolts. I assume you pulled off the passenger side? The driver side is a bigger PITA. I took one look at where those bolts were and about 3 seconds later decided to just use @SMG pins.
Correct, I removed the lower passenger side hinge. I'll have to remove the fuse box to get access to/remove the upper driver's side hinge if I want to replace the entire hinge. I'll try pounding out the other passenger side pin that's still on the tub with a 3lb hand sledge and a punch. I'll post pictures but not until this weekend since the LC is at a second home in Wisconsin for the summer. Maybe I don't have OEM hinges but I'm sure guys will be able to confirm once I post pictures.
Thank you and everyone else for the advice.

FWIW - Once you get the OEM upper door pins out, you can reinstall them upside down. It has been four years since I've had my door off....I just hope it isn't that much longer till I go topless and reinstall the bikini & soft doors!!!!

IMG_3358.jpg

Correct, I removed the lower passenger side hinge. I'll have to remove the fuse box to get access to/remove the upper driver's side hinge if I want to replace the entire hinge. I'll try pounding out the other passenger side pin that's still on the tub with a 3lb hand sledge and a punch. I'll post pictures but not until this weekend since the LC is at a second home in Wisconsin for the summer. Maybe I don't have OEM hinges but I'm sure guys will be able to confirm once I post pictures.
Thank you and everyone else for the advice.

The lowers aren't the problem, it's the uppers you have to be concerned about.

FWIW - Once you get the OEM upper door pins out, you can reinstall them upside down. It has been four years since I've had my door off....I just hope it isn't that much longer till I go topless and reinstall the bikini & soft doors!!!!

View attachment 3347382
My fair Irish skin requires the bimini top which is really nice. No doors, though. Remember we're Landcruiser owners. No airbags and no doors during the summer. We die like real men.

Update: Success! A 3lb sledge and correct-sized punch was all it took. One of the hinges put up a fight but eventually surrendered. Thanks for the great advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom