Don't throw away that old gas water heater! Reuse the burner for outdoors uses! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
Mine just conked out. I took it apart out of curiosity. Turns out the burner assembly not only separates in one piece but it has a very nice metal ring around it that is perfect as a support for large items to warm up or cook. High power, of course. Built-in air intake, the works.

I plan on using it as a paella burner. For others, it may be great as a wok burner or for clambakes, turkey frying, whatever. Nice big burner, built-in piezo starter if you fancy that. Don't plan on using the gas control valve assembly, TBH, but could. May build a grate for it for other things, but amazingly, my paella pan does fit in just right in the ring, perfect size for it, so just few holes for combustion gas escapes along the rim might be fine for that.

IMG_4736.JPG

that thing is probably 30,000 btu/h! That will get things cranking pretty quick!

it will be used at the house with natural gas so not a problem. It isn't $82... Also, having the ring is much better for my paella pan or a wok than a flat grate. But most importantly, I get satisfaction out of DIYing it rather than buying something. But, of course, YMMV.

OK. I decided I'll use the original gas control valve for now to check things out. So no futzing with the connector. Works. Sort of of.
Used a grate for now because the paella pan would block the gases from getting out without holes.
First, I had to bypass the overtemp sensor cuz that thing was getting way too hot and did shut things down with a pan on top. (Maybe the flue on the water heater would suck the heat upwards and not have the sensor get as hot, unlike here, not sure.) OK, easy to fix (paper clamp below).
However, 2 issues:
- first, on full flow, I think the flame is too wide and too much and would burn the edges of the paella probably. But I can decrease the flame with the wall gas valve. Control is not great, though, I may need to put a finer valve in line.
- But a bit puzzling, it will eventually -after several minutes- shut down the gas completely, pilot and all. Don't know why. I can't imagine the pilot monitor sensor rod does something at high temps. Don't know what is going on. May see if better contact between the sensor leads may help, but unlikely. Other thoughts?

I will admit this is not most esthetically pleasing burner around. But eh, function over form, right...

If you're into that sort of things, that is a Matfer-Bourgeat black steel pan... a real pleasure to use.

IMG_4744.JPG
IMG_4745.JPG

My challenge with paella is not only even heat distribution but also getting the flame low enough for cooking the rice. Are you going to be able to dial back that monster?

^^ Can you clarify how you think that holes help with the shutdown, given that I use a grate for ventilation already and there is an air inlet underneath?

^ Good paella is tricky. So, yes, control needs to be addressed. For now it's not great. I will say, though, that the big burner will sure help with the socarrat :). I need to have a look at how dedicated burners are built, probably several concentric circles of orifices.

This control valve is bulky and ugly. I probably will get rid of it eventually and that may remove the shutdown issue I imagine. I will say, though, that it is nice to have piezo ignition, but that is not dependent on the control valve. And to have the safety of shutdown if the flame were to go out.

Really curious as to what is happening with current shutdown.

I need to have a look at how dedicated burners are built, probably several concentric circles of orifices.
Correct.

In the bottom pic you can see that this one has a feed for each of 3 rings, and he had the outer one turned off. I don't have any info on it other than the cook has had it forever and loves it.
IMG_4767.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 3.30.29 PM.png

yup, that burner will accommodate some big pans for sure.

Dang it, my single burner may just be too uneven in practice for good control...

for your nerdy thermodynamic entertainment:

first pic is the pan on top of the burner with only the pilot light on. Note that there is no way this thing was at 53F. Ambience was probably around 75F +- 5F. Goes to show you can't trust pretty colors pics. Surely an emissivity / reflection issue. Anyway, you can see very well the pilot heating up the pan.

Second is the pan on top of the burner at a low flame after 15 mins or so. Not the most even heating but note that the colors are misleading, it's not like one side was at room temperature, but still there was a significant difference across the pan. Now of course, with the food in the pan it may even out more, especially when wet. But we all know steel is nothing as good as copper in that respect. Very interesting are those white specks. I think those are discrete spots in the seasoning, which appear to be at a higher temp. Goes to show ya...

img_thermal_1661568059079.jpg
img_thermal_1661570071796.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom