Dog Proofing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lockd80

Totally right
Threads
This is the first mod I did to my LC. The main purpose of my LC is to take the family camping and that includes the dogs so the first thing I had to do is dog proof the cargo area. I wanted a full length floor I could take out and hose off and washable carpet covers.

My old dogs can not jump in the back of my lifted Cruiser so I flip forward the back seat and let them in the back door. The problem this caused is a dog hair track starting under the back seat where the standard cargo mats like weather tech do not reach. Also the carpet on the wheel wells and tailgate acted as dog hair magnets and needed to be covered with something that was hair resistant and could be removed periodically for washing.

The floor mat was fairly straight forward. I found a rubber pickup bed liner on clearance at the parts store which I took home and cut and pasted into a full length mat buy making cardboard templates of the curvy parts and using the metal strips the hardware store sells for the transition between a vinyl kitchen floor and a similar height floor along with some stainless fasteners to “past” the curvy portions behind the wheel well on. I used the same aluminum strips on the back for added rigidity and instead of washers next to the rubber. I then laid the mat in and cut out holes for the seat latch points and slits for the hold down dohickys. The only PITA is that if I want to use the third row seats I need to take out the rear mat because I did not want to cut holes large enough for the third row seats to latch into the floor.

The carpet covers were a little more difficult as I had to find out where the fabric store was and then learn how to sew. I found some denim like material I thought would be dog hair proof in a tan that kinda goes with the interior colors of my LC. I then made templates of my wheel wells out of this pattern paper I got at the fabric store (If a man goes into the fabric store and looks lost eventually some nice woman will take pity on him and show him around). I made the wheel well covers big enough so that they just tuck up inside of the plastic sides of the cargo area and slip under the carper, this way when they get groady I can remove them and throw them in the wash. For the tail gate I followed the advice of a fellow mudder and just used silver racing tape to attach the fabric after cutting slits for the plastic attachment thingys.

Last week I tested it all out with a week long camping trip and it worked out better than expected. After a week of dogs kids rubber rafts and fire wood I came home pulled the mat out hosed it down and vacuumed the hair off the denim (it still collects hair but unlike carpet the hair does not weave itself into the fabric and is semi easily vacuumed off) and shazam just like new.

IMG_1023.jpg

IMG_1042.jpg

IMG_1047.jpg

IMG_1056.jpg

IMG_1054.jpg

Nice Job! It's amazing how quickly the space shrinks once you beam in two full size dogs and a miniature ewoke.

I made a deck (dubbed the quick-release-dog-deck) for my 4 door, for my two to cruise in doggy-proof comfort. However, if the shorthair had her way, she'd be riding shotgun while the wife rode coach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom