Does the ideal battery charger exist? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Like a lot of you, I use my 80 out in remote areas, and we often sleep in it like a little camper. For those times, we are using battery power for fans, DVD player, phone and computer chargers and reading lights. So I lug a spare battery around on those trips and that's what we draw on to preserve the starter battery. It also provides a backup for a jump start in the middle of nowhere.

For years I've watched the jump packs get smaller and also get more useful with their powered USBs, and extra 12v outlets, and I know some of you carry those. My battery charger burned out after a mere 27 years of life last month and I'm looking for a new one and have been hoping to find a single unit that does all of these functions. So I'm wondering if anybody knows of a single unit that can do both tasks - serve as a jump pack, and also as a battery charger around the garage? It seems like the Li Ion batteries are arriving for the jump packs, so its my wet dream that someone out there is making a battery charger that also has a battery in it, and that battery is a small powerful Li Ion battery that fits in the glovebox. I can't think of a better form factor. Anyone?

Thanks,
Doug

Nuclear are great, but I find mine gets hot.....Real hot.
It has lasted many years thou.
I'm using the ***ushima Brand.
Be very careful with them around water!

Last edited:
Thanks. Yeah, those Li Ion start packs are amazing.

I don't want to spoil your wet dream but You'd be hard pressed to find a charger greater than 5 Amps that's going to fit in a glove box, and at that rate it could take up to 20 hours to recharge a very dead deep cycle battery. If it's just the jump pack you want to charge than the XP-10 comes with an ac and dc adaper to recharge it, I've had my eye on that one for awhile. Antigravity batteries also sells lithium ion power sports batteries and chargers, maybe DIY something with a bit more grunt.

HOME • Antigravity BatteriesAntigravity Batteries | Lithium Ion Motorcycle Batteries

I've been using the Delran units now on both my 60 and 70 series @IdahoDoug.

It has done great in both the 24v configuration as well as my 12v 60 series.

Haven't seen you in ages sir. Hope everything is going well!

:cheers:

Li Ion batteries dont do good with AH. Battery AH seem to be related to size. I use a mini power supply I built for the uses you noted. My mini power supply was a jump box I disassembled and reassembled in a smaller box. In the past I used it heat the mattress in my trailer among other things noted above. The battery in my mini power supply will out last my Antigravity XP-1 no problem

How about adding a battery and isolating it? Then start the motor to charge it? Alternator is the ultimate charger. A charger is used when 120 is available-jump pack used for convenience mostly instead of cables. I would want the pack separate from my 120v charger.

big fan of solar, we love our solar charger from Zamp. no need to start the truck until its time to leave. The panels keep everything topped off daily. We have the 120watt charger. its 2 panels that are hinged, with a digital charge controller attached too. The whole thing stores in a hard ballistic nylon case and loads great in the rig for travel.

I changed the diesel 24 volt starter to 12 volts, found batteries that are dual purpose, yeh I know they are a compromise but they have worked for four years and I am going to get another pair soon. One battery is exclusive for starting under normal conditions the other runs the fridge/USB/and whatever else I need. When driving the alternator does the charging duties for both batteries, when in camping mode the roof rack is bolted on with the RTT which I only recently got (why did I wait this long IWNK?). A solar panel slides out from under the roof rack and over the bonnet, this charges via a controller to the auxiliary battery, when the voltage comes up the Blue Seas dual sense splitter engages and they both get charged.

So the batteries can be paralleled if the starter one goes flat, all the info in my thread link in sig. The new battery packs are good but unless first you need to charge it and then remember to take it (BTDT), takes up space and unless you need to carry one to somewhere your car does not go then of little use, fit a second battery and call it done IMO.

regards

Dave

Last edited:
The easiest thing to carry for backup power when traveling is probably another battery and an inverter if 120v is needed. A couple extra gallons of gas to idle the motor for a while to charge the batteries is cheap and easy compared to some alternatives. A large alternator would use even less gas to charge even faster. The diesel uses even less fuel idling (and uses less power to run engine electronics when running)-making 120w solar even less needed.

Agree with Howard705 that would work but, batteries don't like to be pulled down too far something an inverter will do in very short order. A 12v fridge is a necessity when I am camping so my solar panel (100w) keeps the fridge going all day if need be, and only the smallest amount of power is needed during the night so the battery charge lasts a long while as does it's overall life, and the engine is not run disturbing the very peace and quiet I seek.

Just my 2 cents worth.

regards

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom