No electric power after starting with battery charger running and attached to battery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wanted to go for a cruise tonight and main starter battery was dead. Have an aux battery that was connected when trying to start initially. Had acc power but not enough to crank (clicking at starter). Disconnect aux battery and no acc power. Then tried jump starting, but no luck. Still clicking at starter and still had acc power. Then hook up battery charger. Made the mistake of trying to start. Immediately heard what sounded like a “pop” and dash went dead. Now have no lights on dash and no power anywhere. I’m guessing there was a voltage spike that either blew one or more? If the fusible links or maybe even some fuses. Before I start digging into the problem, I thought I would check here first. Been a while since I posted a question here in tech. Lol!

If you have zero electrical power, I'd start with the fusible links and move on to the engine bay fuse block from there. I've started engines with a charger without any trouble, so you may have other problems.

Last edited:
Ok. Thanks. Forgot about the fuses under the hood. Lol! Been a while since I did anything electrical to the rig. Have to go to the Toyota dealer tomorrow to pick up some parts for my daughter’s Tundra and will order the fusible link.

Just start working through the basics, fusible links, condition and charge of the batt and quality of the connections and grounds. Obviously your main batt was dead. It could be just drained or it might be bad. get that checked. But then using the 2nd batt you had either still low power or a bad connection that wouldn't flow enough power to activate the starter.

But now you could have another problem. Just start working through the normal "dead batt wont start stuff".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom