Do they make a “bead grip” type rim for 80s? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Common misconception but DOT is not an approving authority, DOT just sets standards in which parts are manufactured, similar to SAE, JWL etc. This is expensive so most companys don't bother with testing or certification.

There are no laws in any state that prohibit the use of beadlocks. Utah is the only state that requires wheels to be SAE J2530 requirements at the time of registration, this does not prohibit people from using beadlocks in Utah by swapping wheels later. I believe Hutchinson's are the only current J2530 wheels availabile but liekly because most of their beadlock market is commercial and military.

Manufacturers often state "for off road use only" simply as a means to limit liability.

They don't cite any state laws, which is my point, how can you state anything "confidently" with ZERO references and citations..Most of these websites fall into the same trap as the others, because they aren't "DOT Approved" which is a fallacy of it's own, they then think they are illegal.

but I found this under AZDOT.gov. Federal Register :: Request Access - https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-49/subtitle-B/chapter-III/subchapter-B/part-393?toc=1

Arizona state law under CFR title 49, subtitle b, chaper III, subchapter b, part 393, subpart J

393.205 Wheels.​

(a) Wheels and rims shall not be cracked or broken.

(b) Stud or bolt holes on the wheels shall shall not be elongated (out of round).

(c) Nuts or bolts shall not be missing or loose

Nothing in california that I can find Cal. Code Regs. Tit. 13, § 1244 - Tires, Rims, and Wheels - https://www.law.cornell.edu/regulations/california/13-CCR-1244

This thread is very derailed, happy to continue the discussion in a more appropriate thread or PMs. However, there are bounties available for anyone who actually finds a law. Happy hunting.

Last edited:
Hutchinsons are ungodly heavy for what they are and all those bolts catch the rocks though I do really like the idea of a double beadlock. Lost a few inner beads on my beadlocks over the years, but they're not exactly hard to reseat so I've never "upgraded".

I'd definitely suggest staying away from the Icons with their new bead screw thinggy. Seen some weird stuff happen with them at low pressures and they look like tire damage waiting to happen.
What kind of weird stuff have you seen happen? We’ve had great results with them in all kinds of situations so I’m curious if there’s things to keep any eye out for.

Two separate outings snow wheeling. 42" Iroks at around 2psi on a square body running a LS pushing (i'd guess) 550hp. We found the screws didn't hold the bead particularly well under heavy load, especially on a side hill. Disassembly back in the shop showed a chewed bead, (though neither my tires nor my rig, so could have been some prior abuse). My assumption was it was caused by the lock screws trying to hold on to a very soft tire with a lot of throttle being put to it. I'm all fairness, i lose inner beads at that kind of pressure even with traditional bead locks so i imagine if you're not running basically no pressure and driving like a wanker your probably fine.

They'd be a slick solution for an inner bread lock with a traditional ring outer to hold the torque.

Two separate outings snow wheeling. 42" Iroks at around 2psi on a square body running a LS pushing (i'd guess) 550hp. We found the screws didn't hold the bead particularly well under heavy load, especially on a side hill. Disassembly back in the shop showed a chewed bead, (though neither my tires nor my rig, so could have been some prior abuse). My assumption was it was caused by the lock screws trying to hold on to a very soft tire with a lot of throttle being put to it. I'm all fairness, i lose inner beads at that kind of pressure even with traditional bead locks so i imagine if you're not running basically no pressure and driving like a wanker your probably fine.

They'd be a slick solution for an inner bread lock with a traditional ring outer to hold the torque.
Yeah... 2psi is pretty effing low, especially with that much power. I tend to think of 4 as a pretty sane limit with beadlocks for a heavier rig. If you're in a Samurai or a standard cab hilux, go ahead and pull the valve cores... worst case, it doesn't weigh anything, so people can haul you out.

Yeah... 2psi is pretty effing low, especially with that much power. I tend to think of 4 as a pretty sane limit with beadlocks for a heavier rig. If you're in a Samurai or a standard cab hilux, go ahead and pull the valve cores... worst case, it doesn't weigh anything, so people can haul you out.
I typically run 4-6 in the snow. 8 psi in the rocks. Lower than 4 and the Treps lose the inner bead when i hit something hard under the snow, even with anemic power.

That said, i see a lot of rigs in the NW running Iroks that low, admittedly usually in lighter trucks with less power.

I typically run 4-6 in the snow. 8 psi in the rocks. Lower than 4 and the Treps lose the inner bead when i hit something hard under the snow, even with anemic power.

That said, i see a lot of rigs in the NW running Iroks that low, admittedly usually in lighter trucks with less power.
I’m going to try out some coyote internal bead locks as it secures inner and outer beads. Friend of mine has ran Inner Air Lock brand for years and will never go back to bolted.

I’m going to try out some coyote internal bead locks as it secures inner and outer beads. Friend of mine has ran Inner Air Lock brand for years and will never go back to bolted.
I need the rock rings for the sheer abuse they take as well as the bead locking function.

Does the pressure of the air locks needs to be adjusted when tire pressure is adjusted? I remember reading about some internal bead lock that needed a second valve stem installed in the rim for adjustability. Don't remember clearly, TBH.

Last edited:
I need the rock rings for the sheer abuse they take as well as the bread locking function.

Does the pressure of the air locks needs to be adjusted when tire pressure is adjusted? I remember reading about some internal bread lock that needed a second valve stem installed in the rim for adjustability. Don't remember clearly, TBH.
Ya the coyotes are installed with a separate valve stem so you drill another hole in the wheel. The inner tube is inflated to 50 psi and then the tire can be set to whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom