Do I need to get a Licence to operate my ham radio?

Discussion in 'Communication & Navigation' started by Joel Kasper, Dec 26, 2017.

1. speycaster

speycaster

It was the four letter words and the yee hawing back and forth with his buddy that set the course, plus when I mentioned that the four letter words were not appreciated, he told me where to go. So when they wanted help I retuned the favour.

CV Kurt, Joel Kasper and SCCThree like this.
  2. LandCruiserPhil

LandCruiserPhil Peter Pan Syndrome Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    I passed the test with 100% and ONLY watch tutorials on Youtube

Note - It even shocked me having never receiving a 100% or close on any test ever...

3. jonheld

jonheld

Taking the technician test is no big deal. If you feel like "sticking it to the man" and operating without a licence, well, OK. We're all adults and no one can force you to do the right thing.
    On the other hand, there are things to be learned by studying and passing the test. In this current age of idiocy, knowledge is more important than ever. You should never pass up an opportunity to learn.

Webguy, Hack, LC4LIFE and 1 other person like this.
  4. CV Kurt

CV Kurt

Being stuck is not an emergency IMO. If they use a ham radio to seek help and you offer to relay the call to emergency services (e.g., 911), and they say "no", it's likely not an emergency. The regs actually define emergency traffic as being essential and necessary communications for the immediate safety of human life or the immediate protection of property.

That said, I do try to be helpful on trail to those needing assistance (especially in true emergencies)... but that help might not be in the form requested. I might decide it better to have the professionals deal with the incident, especially in face of unlawful behaviors.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  5. Gun Runner 5

Gun Runner 5 KI4CMQ SILVER Star

Media:
    I actually enjoyed studying for the technician exam. At my age it's nice to know I still have enough brain cells to accomplish a task.

Hack, 1911, CV Kurt and 3 others like this.
  6. surfpig

surfpig The Anti-Tech

^THIS^

And learning more about some of the electronics has been useful in other areas as well.

7. surfpig

surfpig The Anti-Tech

This is just... stupid.

John McVicker, FJ60Seth and jonheld like this.
  8. SCCThree

SCCThree

Media:
    Its funny, I passed my no-code tech exams back in the mid 90s. Back then the FCC was so backed up it took those bastards over 8 months to get my license to me. The frustration with that long ass wait caused me to pretty much loose interest it. I was so into it before getting my license I even donated a massive 12v power supply to my local ham club which they used to power their repeater on top of a hospital! Also right around that time the internet thing started to take off so I put my focus into that instead.

I still keep renewing my license even though I never use my HT. Hell, I don't even know where that thing is anymore. I always wanted to join in on the storm chasing but the problem with that is north Texas hail will seriously damage a vehicle and I like mine to be hail free if I can help it. If you see a vehicle with a SkyWarn sticker on it, good chance it resembles a golf ball.

Personally I prefer the CB where I can get away with saying anything I want. Half of the things that come out of my mouth are not suitable for amateur radio frequencies. I find that half the fun of owning a radio is arguing with complete strangers and knowing they have to listen to everything you say until you unkey the mic. :flipoff2:

Much respect to the LICENSED ham operators out there though! :beer:

9. cody c

cody c

I have had a HAM in my truck for a few years, I honestly haven't used it but have kept it on to monitor the local groups channel and, I've just kept it in case of emergency use for winter wheeling areas where I don't get cell service, and have always meant to getting around to taking the course. I have a Nightwatch LTD 29 which almost never gets used as well.

After reading this thread I found myself more motivated to do the exam, sent out a couple emails to the local radio club, hopefully I can find time when they have their next course.

10. John McVicker

John McVicker SILVER Star

Good job Cody. You're going about it the responsible way.

11. cody c

cody c

Thanks!

12. DirtNap

DirtNap

Albums:
    deleted - upon a second reading, it was not nearly as funny as I thought it was when I wrote it!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  13. superduty

superduty

Will the guy discussed in the original post ever get caught fined? I would predict NO. If you behave on ham nothing will ever happen to you.

Is it still illegal? yes

Should ham users get licensed? yes, because it is the law and following the law is the right thing to do.

Do most people break laws on occasion? yes, stuff like speeding or looking at cell phone while driving.

14. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew On the way there SILVER Star

I've had my license over 10 years now, and for most of that time I've known a "prominent individual" who refuses to get his license but loves to talk on the radio. It's almost become a vanity point of pride for this particular person. I don't get it, and don't really appreciate it, but it's his business. I agree that getting caught is unlikely, but so what. You should still do the right thing. Not having a call sign does pretty much preclude you from accessing any repeater, and particularly the wide area repeater systems like Sinbad or Carla that are so useful when out and about.

I felt I learned a ton about radio studying for and taking the General exam. The tech exam is basically about the rules, the general exam is about radios and antennas. Definitely recommended reading even if you don't upgrade your license.

Joel Kasper likes this.
  15. Gun Runner 5

Gun Runner 5 KI4CMQ SILVER Star

Media:
    A number of post on this thread confirms two basic themes:
    1) If it's convenient and requires no effort, I'll follow the rules.
    2) if it's not convenient or requires even a small amount of effort, I'll ignore the rules.
    I guess it says a lot about today's society.

Joel Kasper likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.