DIY Transfer Case Fluid Change How-To (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are you folks using the same catch can/drian pan for gear oil and your oil changes?
Yes, not sure why it would matter about using the same pan. I just drain the old oils in the pain into the empty oil gallon containers and take it to Advance/Autozone and dump it there.

Thanks,

You guys care to recommend a good drain/catch can? I've been looking at one at Northern Tool.

I just don't wanna a thin piece of crap that won't last me a few years.

I use this one - Midwest Can 9 qt. Oil Recovery Drain Pan.

Oil-Drain-Pan.jpeg

Thanks,

You guys care to recommend a good drain/catch can? I've been looking at one at Northern Tool.

I just don't wanna a thin piece of crap that won't last me a few years.
A plastic milk jug or similar. For lots of oil, I'll use a 2.5 gallon empty herbicide jug. Add a funnel and you're done. My local garbage company will pick up 3 gallons max per week, containers need to be clear-ish (like a milk jug) and marked "oil". Painless and no drain pan to clean.

Thank you for the info OP.

I am going to ask my question here since on the 150 fewer guys.
2016 Gx 460 . The differentials are pretty straight forward because ECGS suggested that I use Lucas 85-140 after installing new gears and lockers but the transfer case is my enigma.
The manual is asking that I use transfer case fluid LF . I went to Toyota and asked for. They showed me what they use CAM2 aftermarket 85-90 in all the trucks differentials and transfer case. Regardless if is all wheel drive or not.
At this time I am more inclined to go with Lucas and keep it in the family.
Does anybody knows what LF stands for ?

Thank you

On a side note, I had problems with my front diff drain plug twice. I strip it once and just won't come off. I welded a 21mm nut and I use a socket now. The 10 mm Allen just was no working well. My guess is the outside surface of the nut is too big for how much torque you have to apply with the Allen to break it loose.

Last edited:
Did some PM this week. Mechanic calls and tells me there is ATF in transfer case and adds ATF. I called Dealer and am told it takes either ATF or Gear Oil 75-90. Is this so?

Did some PM this week. Mechanic calls and tells me there is ATF in transfer case and adds ATF. I called Dealer and am told it takes either ATF or Gear Oil 75-90. Is this so?
Transfer case uses gear oil, not auto transmission fluid.

34A2C2B1-7F88-4BAB-8C90-0346C6F482DF.png

I have no idea where the mechanic is coming with ATF but I certainly take theirs advise with a grain of salt and pepper. The diffs and TC is pretty straight forward. 75-90.

How many miles do you guys go between TC and Diff fluid changes? (I'm missing my manual or I'd look it up myself.. Sorry)

just reading through different articles and preparing for a DIY this weekend, for the transfer case fluid change. and since most say the F&R diffs use the same viscosity as the transfer case, I was thinking to them at the same time.

for 2006-2007 Lexus LX470 owners, can anyone confirm if the FRONTand REAR diffs use 80w90 Gear Oil?

I just finished having a conversation with the rep on my local Lexus dealership and asked if they use 75w90 and was surprised they use 80w90.

thanks!

I'd say that's fine.
When I did mine it was 75w90.

I have a 97 and it seems my drain plug is on the bottom (horizontal surface) as opposed to the same vertical surface as the fill plug and as in the pic on the first post of this thread. I assume I have a slightly different t-case than the OP. There is also what appears to maybe be another fill plug up higher and would take a 10mm (or so) hex key to get out. I've searched all over to figure out which one is the proper drain and fill plugs on mine. Even scoured the 1300 page FSM that's been posted. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom