DIY Transfer Case Fluid Change How-To (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

(also FZJ80 in signature) This is a forum for '98 and up (100 series). You may want post this question in the 80-series forum.

Oops, I didn't check which forum this was after my search. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

(also FZJ80 in signature) This is a forum for '98 and up (100 series). You may want post this question in the 80-series forum.

T case is the same 80/100

@Dubbinchris your plugs should be in the same spot yours just use 10mm plugs.

I live in Texas. Would using Amsoil 80W90 Synthetic be ok in a transfer case? Would it be that much different than 75W90? It's what I used in my diffs. so I have it in my shop.

Last edited:
I live in Texas. Would using Amsoil 80W90 Synthetic be ok in a transfer case? Would it be that much difference than 75W90? It's what I used in my diffs. so I have it in my shop.

Personally, I would have zero issues with either

Awesome write up! I just purchased my cruiser with 230K and the second owner told me he's never replaced it in the 14 years he's had it so I will definitely be doing this soon.

Finally got the time to do the:

~~Front Diff~~
C9A9C309-9CE5-4120-A7A2-460CB4B332A7.jpeg

~~Transfer Case~~
5D8EFC74-CD6C-47F7-B4FA-337001F334EC.jpeg

~~Rear Differential~~
31DD0706-EF0E-4BF2-8C01-6672C8A9B5BB.jpeg

I cannot find any service records pertaining to a FD/TC/RD change fluid from the previous owners (you be the judge). I noticed the front diff oil and transfer case oil are really dark and smelled burnt, while the rear diff oil is brown in color. Also, I collected no metal shavings. Guessing I dodged a bullet here.

How our diff oils should be:
5D7128F4-C957-43D7-A46B-190450051970.jpeg

Posted it here, transfer case and rear diff oil change threads for everyone’s convenience.
C6F262DF-0BD1-4851-8B84-17FB375F9D8C.jpeg

Finally got the time to do the:

~~Front Diff~~
View attachment 2050000

~~Transfer Case~~
View attachment 2050003

~~Rear Differential~~
View attachment 2050004

I cannot find any service records pertaining to a FD/TC/RD change fluid from the previous owners (you be the judge). I noticed the front diff oil and transfer case oil are really dark and smelled burnt, while the rear diff oil is brown in color. Also, I collected no metal shavings. Guessing I dodged a bullet here.

How our diff oils should be:
View attachment 2050005

Posted it here, transfer case and rear diff oil change threads for everyone’s convenience.
View attachment 2050006
Just to confirm, for all three of the fills, you fill until it starts coming out the fill hole, correct? Does the transmission need to be in any special specific gear?? High or Low gear? I'm guessing it would be easier to drain when fluid is warm but doesn't matter what temp when filling it?

Does the fluid need to be topped off after running the gears or engine?

Just to confirm, for all three of the fills, you fill until it starts coming out the fill hole, correct?
Correct.
Does the transmission need to be in any special specific gear?? High or Low gear?
I put it in Park, on High gear.

I'm guessing it would be easier to drain when fluid is warm but doesn't matter what temp when filling it?
Yes that’s true as fluid expands and becomes viscous when warm. I started draining the fluids the moment I changed in to house clothes when we got home after an errand, about 40 minute drive. Left it overnight about 15 hours to slow drip.

No need to top it off as far as I know unless after driving it and returning back you see leaks or drips on the floor. Other than that you are set for the next 30,000 miles on your F&R Diffs and T-Case fluids.

Correct.

I put it in Park, on High gear.

Yes that’s true as fluid expands and becomes viscous when warm. I started draining the fluids the moment I changed in to house clothes when we got home after an errand, about 40 minute drive. Left it overnight about 15 hours to slow drip.

No need to top it off as far as I know unless after driving it and returning back you see leaks or drips on the floor. Other than that you are set for the next 30,000 miles on your F&R Diffs and T-Case fluids.

Sweet, thanks for the info. I've only ever changed engine oil so this is new to me. Definitely will be doing this service soon.

Some Cruiser owners have mentioned the synthetic fluid helps alleviate the gear whine that often comes from the T-case of Cruisers on a cold morning.

I heard this the other morning and yesterday morning as well. It eventually went away, but figured something was breaking (this is my first LC after owning GMs for years). Hopped the forums this morning to figure out how to rebuild my transfer case because I was expecting the worst case scenario, then read about the T-Case whine being a thing on cold mornings as this is when happens. Whew. Thanks for mentioning that sound.

I heard this the other morning and yesterday morning as well. It eventually went away, but figured something was breaking (this is my first LC after owning GMs for years). Hopped the forums this morning to figure out how to rebuild my transfer case because I was expecting the worst case scenario, then read about the T-Case whine being a thing on cold mornings as this is when happens. Whew. Thanks for mentioning that sound.

Mine whined for about 70K miles on cold morning before I sold it and never once was there any indication from Toyota Service Techs that there was a problem to worry about. The t-case also never exhibited any other symptoms to indicate that there was a problem. I was very comfortable with the t-case and its performance during this time.

Land Cruiser 100 Series in Mexico - Opinions on using Valvoline Synpower 75W-90 GL-5 in both differntials and transfer case . My Land Cruiser is 2004 with 140K miles. I live in central Mexico, and if you think Toyota Fluids are expensive in USA the cost here is much higher. One concern I have is that the Synpower is full synthetic. Thoughts would be appreciated as the synpower is locally available and about $20 / liter. At this cost I can afford to change every 30K miles. Thanks in advance.

l purchased a $13 fluid transfer handpump, and used that for front and rear difs., manual transmission (critical tool), and t-case. Recommended purchase. l put Lucas synthetic 75w90 in all four. Used 1/3 Lucas synthetic oil additive to tranny and t-case. Did not have to remove any skid plates. The handpump is the way to go for tranny, as the fill hole is facing- and 5" from frame rail. After all 4 gear oil changes, truck seemed to operate smoother. Still a lil kickback shifting into third... and blockage into reverse sometimes, requiring double-clutching.

Whats the thoughts on using 75w140 instead of 75w90 in any of these applications?

Does anyone know the thread pitch of the drain and fill plugs for a 99's transfer case? Is it m18x1.5 like the diffs? My fill plug has seen better days, and I'm afraid that if I put it back on I won't be able to get it off in the future.

Does anyone know the thread pitch of the drain and fill plugs for a 99's transfer case? Is it m18x1.5 like the diffs? My fill plug has seen better days, and I'm afraid that if I put it back on I won't be able to get it off in the future.
Not sure exactly but it’s easy to find out yourself. Measure the outer diameter in millimeters and that will be the number that comes after the “M”. Then measure (in millimeters) the distance between the top of adjacent threads. That will be the number after the “x”

Not sure exactly but it’s easy to find out yourself. Measure the outer diameter in millimeters and that will be the number that comes after the “M”. Then measure (in millimeters) the distance between the top of adjacent threads. That will be the number after the “x”
Wow I kind of feel dumb for not knowing that lol Thanks!

Thanks to this write-up and YouTube, I was able to do this fluid change for the first time yesterday without issue. Thanks Cypher!

Also, I have no affiliation with the channel, but 2nd Gear Low's video showing the change was also a huge help for a visual learner like me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom