DIY Fail -- OME 861/862 Springs installed on wrong side (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Swapping them would be real easy if you had 2 sets of spring compressors and a floor jack. Install spring compressors hand tight. Jack up truck. Place Jack stands under frame and remove wheels. Let Jack down and springs would practically fall out. Swap springs Nd reverse the above steps. Could do the whole truck in less than an hour, maybe less.

As CDan mentioned, the different springs are to compensate for the spring seat on the long side of the axle being slightly lower. The longer spring always goes on the longer side of the axle. Regardless of which is the driver's side.

disregard.
wrong thread.
As with any parts first step is to look and compare. Tall springs go on side you drive on

I spent the day switching the springs around to the correct sides and my drivers side still sags almost exactly the same amount as it did before. Swapping the springs did almost nothing from what it looks like. I’m really frustrated.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
This is even after going back under and turning the drivers side springs on their mounts to give it more lift. What the heck is the problem you think? Are my spring mounts bent or something?

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I'm sorry for your struggle, it's real.
I have 10mm packer on my LR & my RF needs at least 20mm, I have it clocked for now.

So this has been something I have been paying attention to as well. I am just finishing installing tourflex 3" coils and I didnt notice any length difference prior to install. Is it only OME springs or am I screwed too?

They all lean a bit. Put more stuff in the passenger side. Also, how level is that concrete slableans to the opposite side

The Concrete is actually slanted the other way about an 1/8th inch. Which should make the DS sagging less accentuated haha. I guess I’m going to have to get some spacers.

do it right or dont do it at all

What does that mean? Is there a right way to level my suspension even if the springs have been switched to the correct sides?

Looks like you will need trim packers hopefully those will help ya

What does that mean? Is there a right way to level my suspension even if the springs have been switched to the correct sides?

Meaning it is what it is when you do it right...
Did you put a level on it before you touched anything?
I think the fact that you had them wrong then switched them got to your head. :bang:
If they are in the right spot then they are good! if it really bugs you then do as others on here have voiced. ^^^^

I honestly don't think having it perrrrrrfectly level is gonna make a difference. My truck is different depending on how its loaded. Just enjoy it and drive it! Voicing the lean concern on here is good because that's why we are all here. Mudders unite!

Also as stated: Make sure ground is level, and use a bigger level and open the tailgate and try it from atop of that.
dunno just thinkin of other ways to do it...

Unfortunately I think you need to put in a lot more work and don't cut corners with trim packers.

Take it to a shop if you can't do it.
Otherwise lift it up on stands, take all the coils out, loosen all the articulation, cycle it a few times and put it back together.

Please look at the control arm bushings as they may be shot at this point and throw you off a few degrees (inches at the end of the axle).

Since you don't have any extra weight on your car, this stance seems unnatural to be this way and obviously there is more to it than we can see in your pictures.

When I had OME 851/860 the truck was not level side to side no matter how I swapped springs or added/removed trim packers on the front. I later upgraded to 850J and 863J, which also had lean side to side.

My truck now sets level with the current setup on 850J(+45mm) with Slee 6" rear springs. I believe the side to side lean is caused by the rear springs. If you try to level with trim packers, start in the rear.

You mentioned turning a spring in the perch to get more height. That would leave the spring in an unstable position, and it will eventually turn in to the stop anyway.

Measure from hub center to flare edge to compare corner heights. That reduces variables like ground level and tire pressure. It's common to have some difference in heights. If your springs are on the correct sides and fully seated, then the difference should be small enough to correct with trim packers.

You mentioned turning a spring in the perch to get more height. That would leave the spring in an unstable position, and it will eventually turn in to the stop anyway.

Measure from hub center to flare edge to compare corner heights. That reduces variables like ground level and tire pressure. It's common to have some difference in heights. If your springs are on the correct sides and fully seated, then the difference should be small enough to correct with trim packers.
Meaning it is what it is when you do it right...
Did you put a level on it before you touched anything?
I think the fact that you had them wrong then switched them got to your head. :bang:
If they are in the right spot then they are good! if it really bugs you then do as others on here have voiced. ^^^^

I honestly don't think having it perrrrrrfectly level is gonna make a difference. My truck is different depending on how its loaded. Just enjoy it and drive it! Voicing the lean concern on here is good because that's why we are all here. Mudders unite!

I can't thank everyone enough for their input and support on this issue. I appreciate that everyone has been helpful and not just calling me out on installing them incorrectly from the jump.

I ended up going to Advance Auto Parts and getting a 1.6" coil spring booster and installed it on the DS rear spring near the top of the spring where the coils get tighter. I lifted the body and let the suspension hang so the spring would extend as far as possible, then I slid the rubber booster in as high up as it would go until the coils got too tight to move it any further. It's not doing much, but it definitely seems like it's sitting more level now.

Unfortunately I think you need to put in a lot more work and don't cut corners with trim packers.

Take it to a shop if you can't do it.
Otherwise lift it up on stands, take all the coils out, loosen all the articulation, cycle it a few times and put it back together.

Please look at the control arm bushings as they may be shot at this point and throw you off a few degrees (inches at the end of the axle).

Since you don't have any extra weight on your car, this stance seems unnatural to be this way and obviously there is more to it than we can see in your pictures.

I always carry a full toolbox, jack, and jack stand with me at all times so I took out my rear seats and put all of my tools on the PS of the back of my Lexus. I went to a parking lot across the street from my house where the ground is level and I measured from the center of the wheel hub to the bottom of the wheel trim and it's now 20.75" on the DS and 21" on the PS whereas before it was 20" on the DS and 21.5" on the PS. I'm extremely anal about how my vehicles look and I plan to replace my 1yo Rancho RS5000 shocks, and every bushing and link underneath to ensure all possible variables are covered. I will then remove the booster from the spring because I don't like the idea of cutting corners (thanks for the callout about the control arm bushings @Dragos80 as they definitely need replaced. I like your style on making sure it's done right).

To catch up those that haven't fully read thru, I initially installed the springs on the wrong side on both the front and rear of my 80 which resulted in about a 1.5" lean to the DS. This last weekend I swapped them to the correct sides and I was still having roughly the same amount of lean that I did before so I went and bought a 1.6" universal spring booster from Advance Auto Parts and installed it on the DS rear spring to help with the lean and it now sits much more level.

Early FJ80s with tow prep had equal-length rear springs and used a steel 10mm spacer on the left side to level the truck.

Early FJ80s with tow prep had equal-length rear springs and used a steel 10mm spacer on the left side to level the truck.

Port installed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom