DIY Fail -- OME 861/862 Springs installed on wrong side (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OME springs. I followed the instructions and put the taller springs on the right side. Unfortunately I did not realize that since the instructions were intended for vehicles "Down Under" where they drive on the wrong side of the road, I should have done it opposite of what the instructions said. It was leaning pretty bad. I did not measure how much, but it was very noticeable. I had the 1" spacers already and it was much easier to use them to make the left side springs 1/2" taller than the right side than it would be to swap all the springs around. In theory, adding 1" to the springs that were 1/2" shorter should be a net gain of 1/2" lift.

It now sits level, or at least looks level. Again I haven't measured it. That was over 1 1/2 years of daily driving ago with no ill effects, unless that's what caused the blown head gasket. Wait. Now that I think about it. That probably IS what caused it!

Haha I love it. Hopefully my head gasket doesn't decide to go because of mine being off :rofl:

It was very bad stinkbug after that, so to make matters worse, I then added a set of Metaltech 1.5" spacers to the front to level it out. That should in theory give me 5" lift on the front. (3+.5+1.5=5)

after copy.jpeg
AfterDrivers copy.JPG
**Update**

I took a tape measure and measure from ground to base of fender (see photos) and the lean is definitely more than the 1/4" I thought it was.

With a full tank, 3rd row seats, and probably 75lbs of tools evenly distributed in the back:

DS Rear - 35.25" from ground to base of fender
PS Rear - 36.5" from ground to base of fender

DS Front - 35" from ground to base of fender
PS Front - 36" from ground to base of fender

Looks like I'm going to have to get this thing back up on a lift this weekend to get them switched around.

Bad measurement.

Now go back and measure from the bottom of the fender to the center of the hub, or bottom of the fender to the bottom of the rim.

Any slight difference in tire air pressure would throw your initial measurements off.
And make sure it sits on a level surface.

Valid callout haha. I'll get those measurements this evening.

Yep, everything about that pic looks like it's parked sideways on a hill. Definitely find some flat ground before freaking out. Or put all your tools on the passenger side haha.

Yep, everything about that pic looks like it's parked sideways on a hill. Definitely find some flat ground before freaking out. Or put all your tools on the passenger side haha.

I took my measurements while it was on flat/level ground, not at the same time or place these photos were taken. I just used these photos for reference of how I made my measurements last night.

View attachment 1647724 View attachment 1647725 **Update**

I took a tape measure and measure from ground to base of fender (see photos) and the lean is definitely more than the 1/4" I thought it was.

With a full tank, 3rd row seats, and probably 75lbs of tools evenly distributed in the back:

DS Rear - 35.25" from ground to base of fender
PS Rear - 36.5" from ground to base of fender

DS Front - 35" from ground to base of fender
PS Front - 36" from ground to base of fender

Looks like I'm going to have to get this thing back up on a lift this weekend to get them switched around.
That perfect for the slant in the road since we drive on the right side you are all good.

I think all you can really do here is leave the springs as they are, send me a pm, and agree to sell me that 80 for 750. it's no good; I'll do you a favor. I mean if you made a spring mistake god knows what other pm items you overlooked in it's upkeep. Again, I'll do you the favour.

I think all you can really do here is leave the springs as they are, send me a pm, and agree to sell me that 80 for 750. it's no good; I'll do you a favor. I mean if you made a spring mistake god knows what other pm items you overlooked in it's upkeep. Again, I'll do you the favour.

Can I make a counter-offer? I'll do $1750, but I'll also need a few trades on top of cash:

1) Your family moose sedan
2) 3 gallons of genuine Canadian maple syrup
3) Two well-worn flannels
4) Your Degrassi box-set collection
5) And your Toronto, Maple Leafs season tickets

Sound like a good trade, eh? :rofl:

Can I make a counter-offer? I'll do $1750, but I'll also need a few trades on top of cash:

1) Your family moose sedan
2) 3 gallons of genuine Canadian maple syrup
3) Two well-worn flannels
4) Your Degrassi box-set collection
5) And your Toronto, Maple Leafs season tickets

Sound like a good trade, eh? :rofl:

Few things...

I can offer 1750; how many Boston Red Sox hats can you add to the deal? Unworn, snap backs preferred; they're for my uncle steve who now lives in Sarasota.

wtf is a Toronto Maple Leaf?

While my location says I'm in Canada, I can only relate from the Well Worn Flannels, they are from an ex.

Few things...

I can offer 1750; how many Boston Red Sox hats can you add to the deal? Unworn, snap backs preferred; they're for my uncle steve who now lives in Sarasota.

wtf is a Toronto Maple Leaf?

While my location says I'm in Canada, I can only relate from the Well Worn Flannels, they are from an ex.

I’ll need to go buy a few first and watch a game or two so I don’t look like a poser (or a hoser).

But you’ve got yourself a deal! Canadians really are the nicest!

After a few decades of confusion in the US market it’s puzzling that OME hasn’t developed US-specific labeling.

I’ve been wondering th same. But it shouldn’t be this hard haha. I should have just read the instructions again.

I’ve been wondering th same. But it shouldn’t be this hard haha. I should have just read the instructions again.

The problem is I’ve seen multiple threads on the same topic for 15 years! It’s not that difficult to change a coil tag to a single tag that addresses each major market.

The problem is I’ve seen multiple threads on the same topic for 15 years! It’s not that difficult to change a coil tag to a single tag that addresses each major market.

Haha that is a very valid point! I really wish it would have been more intuitive because I’m seriously dreading switching the springs back.

Haha that is a very valid point! I really wish it would have been more intuitive because I’m seriously dreading switching the springs back.

It's really not that bad for one person inside the garage with a bunch of Jacks. 2 jack stands, a floor jack and the bottle jack. Maybe a bottle of jack at the end.
I did it, so it can be done by anyone.

Just take your time with safety as the priority.

As with any parts first step is to look and compare. Tall springs go on side you drive on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom