Ditched the Jeep and joined the land cruiser family today. 1996 LX450, this has been my dream car for a while. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh man that’s awesome. That’s a really good order as well. I really want to do a full restoration of this one so I’m probably gonna do it like that and just start slowly ordering the parts I need. I wanna have this thing basically brand new when I’m finished so that I can drive it for the rest of my life.
Since then I have put on 94,000 miles with just oil changes, fan belt changes, and fluid level checks and tire pressure checks and rotation. These are very reliable when maintained.

Since then I have put on 94,000 miles with just oil changes, fan belt changes, and fluid level checks and tire pressure checks and rotation. These are very reliable when maintained.
Reliability was my number one concern when picking a vehicle which is why I settled on a land cruiser about a year ago and then started looking into the things people do with them and fell in love.

Pretty sure I saw this on reddit. Same post title and all? Don't really care or anything just having deja vu

Apex Overland is just northeast of Raleigh if that's near you. They put my wife's Toytec lift on her 4runner and are working on a guys 80 serues ute chop. The owner is a former toyota tech so know his way around the trucks.

What end of NC are you in?

Apex Overland is just northeast of Raleigh if that's near you. They put my wife's Toytec lift on her 4runner and are working on a guys 80 serues ute chop. The owner is a former toyota tech so know his way around the trucks.

What end of NC are you in?
I’m about 20 minutes from them haha, never heard of them before though

The bumper is cool and all but that winch 🤤 I want one of 8274s so bad, I found an old one for sale around me for cheap, just needs some minor repairs and TLC, and I’ve been thinking of snatching it up and rebuilding it for when the time comes

Thanks..8274 is the King of winches ;)

I had to custom fit the 8274 into the ARB since its not even close to a direct fit...paid off though

I’m about 20 minutes from them haha, never heard of them before though
Which way from 20 minutes are you?

I'm not familiar with Jeep lifts, but 6" is pretty high and can make the vehicle feel top heavy. I had 3" Dobinson flexicoils in the front and 4" in the back. I wanted to lower the rear some and installed 3" Dobinson tapered coils in the rear along with IMS shocks.

Which way from 20 minutes are you?

I'm not familiar with Jeep lifts, but 6" is pretty high and can make the vehicle feel top heavy. I had 3" Dobinson flexicoils in the front and 4" in the back. I wanted to lower the rear some and installed 3" Dobinson tapered coils in the rear along with IMS shocks.
I’m in Burlington but yeah 6” might be excessive I like the height and the clearance but I think I’ll go with 3”-4”. Considering the dobinsons MMR long travel 3-4” kit.

Skip the OME suspension and look at Icon/Slinky/multiple other better options IMHO

That really depends on what one is planning to do with their rig. When you go over 2.5” of lift, things can get complicated fast.

I do agree with you that I would that OME shocks are old technology.

Maybe you can work out a suspension swap / trade with others.

Hey!

I’m undecided, but the more I think of it, do I need room for 40”s?

Welcome to MUD and congratulations on the switch. A good move I believe.

Forgot to ask, what’s the current setup regarding tires and suspension?

What are you planning to do with it? and running boards are awesome!!

Forgot to ask, what’s the current setup regarding tires and suspension?

What are you planning to do with it? and running boards are awesome!!
It’s a 3” OME, 35” KM3s, ARB front and rear lockers, and CDL switch.

I’m wanting to build it as an overlanding rig but also use it as a daily driver and want it to be comfortable on long trips. Im a bit of a prepper so I want it built very strong and reliable. I want to redo the suspension and put a 3 link in the front, and I’d like to do a hybrid 9.5” front as well. Bumpers, sliders, roof rack, and a bunch of storage options. Something to increase power as well. And a new paint job and a restoration, I’d like to basically replace everything on it and make it nearly new.

Got big plans and I intend to keep it forever haha

I’m wanting to build it as an overlanding rig but also use it as a daily driver and want it to be comfortable on long trips. Im a bit of a prepper so I want it built very strong and reliable. I want to redo the suspension and put a 3 link in the front, and I’d like to do a hybrid 9.5” front as well. Bumpers, sliders, roof rack, and a bunch of storage options. Something to increase power as well. And a new paint job and a restoration, I’d like to basically replace everything on it and make it nearly new.

That sounds like a STUPID plan.

for your wallet. 😜

Last edited:

Going to have to agree with @tacocat . If you think a DVS front bumper is expensive and you want a highway-drivable 3-link with a 9.5" front end ... just wait until you start pricing it out. $$$$

That said, if you figure it out for cheap, we'll all be your new best friends and want to know how you did it.

Going to have to agree with @tacocat . If you think a DVS front bumper is expensive and you want a highway-drivable 3-link with a 9.5" front end ... just wait until you start pricing it out. $$$$

That said, if you figure it out for cheap, we'll all be your new best friends and want to know how you did it.
Haha its not that it’s out of my price range it’s just that I don’t wanna pay 2k for their bumper when their are better (more useful) options for cheaper. I also think the DVS front would look silly paired with the 4x4 labs rear. I’m leaning towards the slee right now or BIO.

Suspension, drivetrain, and other mechanical parts I’ll pay whatever for because that’s more of my priority. Plus the mechanical stuff I can do myself And make it cheaper haha. I don’t really have a budget on this build but I’m not gonna blow money stupidly. From what I’ve gathered I can get the suspension and front axle done for about 7ish grand if I do the work myself and buy a 3 link kit with the dobinsons suspension. But whenever I put in the 9.5” I’ll probably do nitro 4.88s so it’ll end up being closer to 10k. My priority right now is bumpers and a roof rack though I just wanna get it trail ready for the spring, summer, and fall and focus on doing the hard work next winter.

im also gonna start next week on flushing all the liquids and changing all the belts and hoses.

Anybody have any idea what front bumper this is? It’s in the front runner roof rack pictures on mainline overland

B8EA6F0C-561E-46B5-B98F-22F8099D4A17.jpeg

..... I don’t really have a budget on this build but I’m not gonna blow money stupidly. .....
As long as you're going in with your eyes open. Would suck to get half way in to a really cool build and run out of cash to actually be able to finish and enjoy it. Spending 5 min on Jeep forums and looking at guys trying to unload half built coil over rigs is a pretty sobering experience.

I'd say utility of the front bumper is in the eye of the beholder as well. I have a DVS on the front of mine with the full critter catcher. Looks really similar to what you've posted above.

All that said, I'm about $25k over my original budget and I still haven't driven the truck anywhere since June so feel free to round file the advice. :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom