Distributor non stock? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For the experts, is this a non stock dizzy? its on a 72, 55

dostributor.jpg

It looks just like the Delco one on my 72FJ40. Mines a little loose, so I'm going to rip it apart and make a new brass bushing for it. I run a Rochester 2 bbl also with a header. Seen 25mpg many times. I guess some people here don't like this set up but mine came that way in 82 when I bought it. Header was added after the cast iron manifold cracked in 84-5.

It looks just like the Delco one on my 72FJ40. Mines a little loose, so I'm going to rip it apart and make a new brass bushing for it. I run a Rochester 2 bbl also with a header. Seen 25mpg many times. I guess some people here don't like this set up but mine came that way in 82 when I bought it. Header was added after the cast iron manifold cracked in 84-5.
Thanks.. and how would I source points? Maybe that pic w the model number would work....

It looks like the distributor points plate has some #'s on it.

I think mine was from a 1962 Valiant six cylinder by the Delco #'s. I have all that stuff written down here somewhere. I think on ebay/amoron there is a new china copy with guts and cap for like $70, you might need the correct drive gear. I like the NAPA Echlin cap (brass contacts) and points myself. I'll look for my info.

In the summer I run the advance well outside the timing window. Tuning by ear is a lost art.

I'd take it back to stock and upgrade with a pertronix.

Bobs your auntie:

If you really want to keep using points:
Thanks. I was not looking to upgrade quite yet but yeah, Ive been looking at going electronic dizzy. For now I was just looking at replacing the points and getting it running properly. if thats possible with this current setup.

If I remember correctly, there was nothing wrong with AC Delco distributor as long as the drive gear was switched out with one from the FJ-40. Easier to find parts back in the day (cap, rotor, points).

If the gear wasn't swapped the GM gear would be toasted in short order because of slight difference in matting angle with the Toyota cam.

Thanks. I was not looking to upgrade quite yet but yeah, Ive been looking at going electronic dizzy. For now I was just looking at replacing the points and getting it running properly. if thats possible with this current setup.

I understand wanting to save $$$ where you can, so, you could do the points dizzy for now and upgrade to the pertronix later.

The vacuum advance distributor the Cruiser Outfitters sells would be a similar performance upgrade vs what that GM dizzy did 'back in the day' plus you can get parts from any toyota dealership vs trying to hunt down stuff from
other applications.

That said, when you do find the proper application, put the part numbers and application(s) onto a spreadsheet and then print it out, laminate it and keep it in your glove box, which you can reference if you need parts in the future.

Sound advice, thanks. I think I might go w/ the vac advance dizzy from Cruiser teq as suggested. In the meantime this POS Delco-Remy will have to do. I read on a mud post from 2003 that these were used in a number of toyotas w the simple mod of changing the drive gear which, I assume this one has. But also, many said they are time bombs😨. I see the serial number on it so might try to locate new points for the short term and then order the proper dizzy from cruiser teq.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom