Dissent offroad modular aluminum roof rack. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bumping this to say: @benc’s design work and execution is genius.

Bumping this to say: @benc’s design work and execution is genius.
I'm a Industrial designer, fabricator and I don't think I can come up with a better (much better) concept,

plus for the price are very reasonable, just the solid works time (or even setting the bender for a one-Off) is just easier yo buy from Benc

plus I respect "Intellectual property" to NO end since I experiences "Inspiration/Imminent Domain" to many times from my competitors..

I just don't have one because I have others priorities (like paying workers) but I have "Blue balls" for one since I saw it the first time on the web (His products make SO MUCH sense, you just need to see One picture to know he "get it" (any of his products are freaking brilliant)

Ps: master in Ergonomics, Doctorate in Biomechanics, His work is as good if not better than the most badass "Efficiency of motion" stuff that we make..

PsII no leaking nothing here, he just know his s*** like very few..

I’m an engineer myself and I agree. Bens work is outstanding! Fit, finish, form, and function. When people see the Dissent rack they’re in awe and of course the usual. “Nice Rack!”

I mosty get consulted to make suggestions about product optimizations (besides my horrible typing I'm kind of a perfectionist) specially when it comes to "Efficiency of motion," Dynamic ergonomics, etc)

Trust me it revolting to fly to China to defend the cost increment of 2 maybe 3 cents per unit on a pair you design because I NEEDS to BE DONE in a certain way but the penny punchers don't see it that way (I Only work by he hour so hey if they want to fight go for it)

Bent product is not only extremely efficient in terms if a real work environment plus the Million Murphy law curvatures that riding in wonky terrain bring to the table) but rival IKEA crap in the sense that it can be pack in a very efficient way

I remember the first time I ask my ex about "just in time" )Delivery) and she wipe the floor with my tong

"Ricky just think of the logistics to store a single wing from a passenger plane (holly s*** I have problems parking my motorcycles) but if if arrives the day you are going to "Glue" it to the fuselage is no big deal..

This rack can be run out of a shipping container , hell even a trailer just as long as the longs as the longitudinal elements in way kind of a "rain gutter" business, a single cutting saw and you are ready for pretty much anything

For my own stuff I like to over complicate my projects and incorporate already made/recycle/neat stuff

Spend a ton of time playing with 80/20 extrusions until the day I saw his freaking rack

No FAIR...!!!

I was not even in the ball park so I stop wasting time and trust me I'm not exactly the kind that can be stopped, stubborn MOFO Do Lux..

It was fun and funky as always

Last edited:
New addition!

I have not even had a chance to take proper pictures but just wanted to post this eye candy. Virtually no wind noise and overall just an awesome piece of craftsmanship.

The Shadow brackets and awning are next... both still with Ben which means one more trip!

View attachment 1654488
Wowsers...

so far by FAR MY Favorite, very classy, love the Steelie too..

Remind me or the stroppy On Duty days

Hi all. Curious to see how everyone mounted different attachments to their racks. Currently attempting to either fab some brackets or see if there are easy and efficient methods already tested for the rack. Any pics and details would be appreciated! Thanks!

Hi all. Curious to see how everyone mounted different attachments to their racks. Currently attempting to either fab some brackets or see if there are easy and efficient methods already tested for the rack. Any pics and details would be appreciated! Thanks!

I think it depends on what your attaching. Give @benc a call. I’m sure he’s thought of some things and has some attachments at the ready.

Bumping this thread with some more photos of this amazing rack. My favorite part is all the confused/amazed looks I get from Jeep drivers.

05C80341-CBB3-4344-9D81-517D3ECB2D09.jpeg
6324425F-DAA7-451E-9735-3289D9A21028.jpeg
54EDB984-DD1F-449F-BA79-9DEB5E2CBAE1.jpeg
ACFAC380-0646-42C3-8279-FC425DC08012.jpeg
5DCF5FAE-17E6-4D93-B7B7-F48858CBBB65.jpeg

Got mine about a month ago, sprayed load bars with bed liner, and new black bolts. Test fitting the maxtrax and Jerry cans went well. Going to add a 1 inch spacer for the awning. The rear door just barely grazes the awning opening it. Wind noise is surprisingly not that bad up to 75mph with everything mounted up there.

Screenshot_20200724-122651.png

Which wheels are those and did you paint them? I’ve been prowling for some rock warriors before I get new tires during Labor Day sales but so far no luck. Those look great and would be a good alternative to me.

Bumping this thread with some more photos of this amazing rack. My favorite part is all the confused/amazed looks I get from Jeep drivers.

View attachment 2382008View attachment 2382009View attachment 2382014View attachment 2382016View attachment 2382017

Which wheels are those and did you paint them? I’ve been prowling for some rock warriors before I get new tires during Labor Day sales but so far no luck. Those look great and would be a good alternative to me.

I’m also struggling to understand how things get mounted given the cross members are c shaped, do you have to remove them to get a carriage bold in the slot or how does this work? Can’t find any videos online.

I’m also struggling to understand how things get mounted given the cross members are c shaped, do you have to remove them to get a carriage bold in the slot or how does this work? Can’t find any videos online.

Ben included some plates with captive nuts with my rack for mounting accessories, but you could just use some bolts and washers to mount accessories as well. There’s just enough room to get your hand under the bars.

Ben included some plates with captive nuts with my rack for mounting accessories, but you could just use some bolts and washers to mount accessories as well. There’s just enough room to get your hand under the bars.
Ok yeah that's what it looks like, you'd have to take a cross member off to add additional hardware, as opposed to an 80/20 rail where you could drop in pieces from the top if you drill out a hole on one end of the slot.

Ok yeah that's what it looks like, you'd have to take a cross member off to add additional hardware, as opposed to an 80/20 rail where you could drop in pieces from the top if you drill out a hole on one end of the slot.

There’s enough room for you to get your hands under the cross bars on Ben’s rack when installed. It’s tight, but definitely doable. Cross bars are already slotted, too.

Anyone running this rack with a soft shell tent? So far, Ive only really seen it with hard shell popup/clamshell tents. Looking to switch from Frontrunner (so noisy it's annoying)..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom