Roof Rack & Awning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys 👋

For our Land Cruiser 100 (1999er), I am looking for a roof rack and I prefer the Rhino Pioneer Platform Version 6.

In addition, I want to have a free-standing 270 awning and our preference is the Alu-Cab 270 with 2.6m in length.

👉 As there is no official bracket / mounting option on the market for Rhino Rack Pioneer unfortunately, I think about using Rhino's STOWIT solution and mount 4 STOWIT brackets (to balance the weight) onto the Alu-Cab awning and can easily attach and detach the awning. I guess I need to drill holes into the Alu Cab awning case to mount the STOWIT brackets.

What do you guys think of that idea and combination?

Additionally, which size should I take, the biggest?
Usually, the 1900mm size is sold...don't know why. I would prefer RCH legs instead backbone as we would have better load rating.

1708099464453.png

PS: I am not interested in a RTT. We'll use some storage bags on the rack and sleep inside the car.
PPS: I am located in Europe, which means not all parts are available here unfortunately. but Rhino and Alu-Cab is quite common.

Last edited:
I went with the 1900 x 1380 version. I think either would be fine, it's just a preference on looks and function. Having 4 mounts would help disperse the load from front to back but there would still be a lot of downward force twisting that outer piece. A bracket that would extend into the next channel would help quite a bit. When you're looking for mounts, remember that RR uses standard industrial strut channel nuts. With a little creativity, you should be able to make up your own mounts. (the linked nut has a spring on it. you can just pull the spring off or get the nuts that don't have them)

Also, check into the original Pioneer, not the new Pioneer 6 version. The slats are closer together on the older version which allows for easier walking up there.

For me, the raised edge of the FrontRunner Slimline is a deal breaker. I like being able to sit on my rack and hang my legs off of it. I have / had young kids that like to eat lunch on top of my truck.

Hi JLM
Sounds interesting, I was looking for the new Version 6 because of better load rating I would get and, better mounting options and ok bit better aerodynamics. But you are right, the Version 6 is only usable with new STOWIT function and the old NG can be used with both if I understand well?

What do you mean with raising edge of the FronRunner? Don`t get it…and why did you then chose the Rhino Rack?

Hi JLM
Sounds interesting, I was looking for the new Version 6 because of better load rating I would get and, better mounting options and ok bit better aerodynamics. But you are right, the Version 6 is only usable with new STOWIT function and the old NG can be used with both if I understand well?

What do you mean with raising edge of the FronRunner? Don`t get it…and why did you then chose the Rhino Rack?

There's a lip on the FR rack and the Rhino Rack is mostly flat. Interesting though, I've never heard of someone w/ the criteria of shopping for a rack their kids can sit and eat on though. Especially when shopping for a awning as well which you'd assume they'd sit underneath. But, what do I know?

The Pioneer has a nice rounded edge all the way around it. Yes, I was pretty specific in what I was looking for.

I settled on the RR for a few reasons.
1) it is aluminum. I live in an area where we put salt on the roads in the winter and aluminum holds up better against corrosion than steel does.
2) I can take the platform off in less than 10 minutes and it takes probably another 10 minutes to install the 3 crossbars. I run the crossbars in the snowy months as it’s easier to clean the snow off the roof. Also works better for the ski rack and ski cargo box.
3) the slats of the Pioneer are wide and close together. Makes it’s easier to sit or walk on it.
4) many different mounting accessories that I can purchase, or make myself using standard hardware store nuts and bolts.
5) I found some really good deals on the RR stuff so that sealed the deal.

@Brummel you mention going with the 6 feet rather than the backbone set up. I run the RCL (low height) feet and there’s no issues with either the Pioneer platform or the Vortex crossbars.

IMG_0946.jpeg

IMG_0944.jpeg

If you plan on getting up there for any reason, this step has been perfect.

@jlm43
Thanks a lot, your answer helped me a lot 🙏

You are having same conditions as I. Living in central Europe, salty roads are usual during winter times and a cargo roof box I do have as well which I don't wanna miss sometimes.

Great to hear that the RHL - lower ones - work, that saves me approx 15mm and for having low entries in underground parking's, this is a game changer!

My car has no sun roof, hence I do not rely on opening up that one.

One question I do have for you, which size is your rack? I am looking to mount the biggest possi le and it'll be 2130mm x 1430mm (sorry metric 😉)

Comparing the new Pioneer Version 6 with the NG, I see few main reasons going for the new one:
- Saves me approx 5-6kg resp. provides more load capacity
- mounting options throughout the full length
- mounting option west-east channel

It's clear to me, I need always the ZWIFTLOC nuts...what my concern is, is the M6 screw with ZWIFTLOC strong enough co parted to M8 or M10 you can use on the NG. Thinking about a big bracket for the Alucab awning...

One question I do have for you, which size is your rack? I am looking to mount the biggest possi le and it'll be 2130mm x 1430mm (sorry metric 😉)

Comparing the new Pioneer Version 6 with the NG, I see few main reasons going for the new one:
- Saves me approx 5-6kg resp. provides more load capacity
- mounting options throughout the full length
- mounting option west-east channel

It's clear to me, I need always the ZWIFTLOC nuts...what my concern is, is the M6 screw with ZWIFTLOC strong enough co parted to M8 or M10 you can use on the NG. Thinking about a big bracket for the Alucab awning...

I went with the 1900mm by 1380mm size. Mine is version 1 as that's what was available in early 2020. Check out this thread, you'll see plenty pictures of all sizes available for the 100 series.

There appears to be 3 versions of the Pioneer.

The original, which is what I have, does not have any left to right mount options.

Version 2 which has the front and back edge slopped down a bit and has the left to right slot.

Pioneer 6. Both the 6 and v2 have left to right slots on the front and back edge. One thing to note about the 6 is that it requires use of the ZWIFLOC as there is no opening in the channel. That may or may not be an issue for you though.

@Brummel I think you've already noticed all of this, but I wanted to add it in case anyone else is reading this. Something like this might help with mounting the heavy weight awning. This comes with ZWIFLOC nuts and would help disperse the load between multiple front to rear channels. These are made of aluminum and can be cut shorter if you only need them to pick up two channels instead of 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom