Disk Brake Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going all disk on my '72 FJ40. I have been through the tech and FAQ sections about the mini-disk brake swap but still have 2 questions:
- I'm upgrading to the '79-'85 mini axle setup but want to run vented rotors and the V-6 calipers. What year and vehicle should I take these from? I was told '81 LC vented rotors and '90 V-6 truck calipers. Are these the only options?
- In the rear is the GM conversion with a P-valve. What's the best MC to use with this 4 wheel disk combo for the most braking force?:hmm:

I'm upgrading to the '79-'85 mini axle setup but want to run vented rotors and the V-6 calipers. What year and vehicle should I take these from? I was told '81 LC vented rotors and '90 V-6 truck calipers. Are these the only options?

Those are the only ones you need. Purchase them, and be done with it.

In the rear is the GM conversion with a P-valve. What's the best MC to use with this 4 wheel disk combo for the most braking force?:hmm:

P-valve?

Proportioning valve?

Yes you will want to install a manually adjustable proportioning valve.

Remove the residual valves from your brake master cylinder and call it good.

If you want to spend money, upgrade to a 1978 FJ-45 pickup brake master cylinder.

It is a 1-1/8 inch bore and works really well with my full-size GM calipers (which are significantly larger in piston diameter compared to the smaller, GM metric units typically used for Land Cruiser rear disc brake conversions) on all four corners of my junk. I am stopping 42" Swampers on Dana/9" axles with this system and it works great.

I was planning the monte carlo setup.

That is what you want.

The larger bore GM calipers are not going to fit the small caliper bracket, so don't worry about it.

I do not have caliper brackets, sorry.

The rumor is that Ruff Stuff is going to carry his bent brackets in a couple weeks..... no need for spacers.

The rumor is that Ruff Stuff is going to carry his bent brackets in a couple weeks..... no need for spacers.

I went back to spacers and flat plate mounting brackets. I have a set of bent brackets that are powder coated OSHA yellow that you can buy for half of what he is currently charging plus ride (I'll throw in the powder coating for free). I did not like the way they mounted the calipers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom