Finally...my newb intro- 73 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bmorefj40

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello all,

Well, I finally got around to it. Here's my intro. The story is that I have always wanted a FJ40 since I was a kid growing up watching "Shadetree Mechanics". I looked forward to the end of every episode when they would go outside the garage and work on the FJ40 project that they had. I was hooked and couldn't wait until I could afford one.
Fast forward to 2001, graduated college, and I got serious about finding one - no luck (didn't know about MUD until many many years later). About 2 years later, my friend found one on one of his sales trips and called me up and put me in touch with the guy selling it. I made my best offer (best I could for just getting out of college), but he didn't take it.:frown: I told him to keep my number and call me if he changed his mind. Well, two months later, my friend and I are hauling this truck back from the furthest tip of Long Island back to MD.:bounce: Six years later and I've kept it pretty much the way I found until about a year ago.
I put in a 6 point roll cage, mini-truck ps, disc brake swap, stereo, replaced all the common things like brake booster, master, starter, lights, some wires, and a hundred or so broken/rusted bolts (only a couple thousand to go...):bang: That's enough talk for now, enjoy the pics. And thanks to all those who post their installs, rebuilds, how-to's, and sage advice that has gotten me this far.

Here's how I found the truck. 73FJ40 with a 2F, a weber 38, and ambulance doors. Plus the safari rack and winch
driverside.jpg
front.jpg
engine.jpg

Nice score and welcome to Mud. The truck looks like it's in real good shape congrats and enjoy.

Wow - Thats what I call checking out your new ride........Great shape...Love it w/out doors and the rack is cool......I do however want to reach out and pull that passenger side mirror back a bit.....lol.....The pics are terrific...

Edit: I see you pulled the mirror back thank you.......

Your truck looks great. Looks like you found a good one to start with. I've got to agree with you , I do like discs over drums. I went the easy route, I slipped a complete '78 front end under my '71 when I did the lift and then a rear disc conversion. What's your plans for it next ? Keep up the good work :cheers:

Nice truck!

Good job so far on making it better.

A lift will be sweet. I did a 2.5" OME and am happy with it. Sometimes i think a 4" would have been better, but i think the ride might be really stiff for every day driving with that much lift spring on it.

Those seats look great too...are they 80 Series seats?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom