Disc Brake Conversion Kits? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
instagram.com
Hello guys! I am looking to do a disc brake conversion on the front brakes of my 1973 FJ40. I've never done a disc brake conversion before. Where should I go for a conversion kit? (Everything included). What do you recommend if you've ever done one? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to 'Mud. Please report to the FAQ - post #9

40-series FAQ

Seriously, there are many choices in how to convert to disk brakes.

I found knuckles from a 1976 FJ55 that I put on my 1974 40. Pretty easy upgrade to disc brakes.

@mel lowe has all the used Toyota parts you'd need. Contact @beno for the new parts (e.g. knuckle rebuild kit, bearings, hoses, pads etc.). Just tell Onur what you're wanting to do and he will get you all the goodies. You can go with Toyota rotors or get a set from your favorite local parts store. Get the moly from Mart-o-Wals, super cheap.

I'm a "while I'm in there" type of guy, so you could also get TREs from Beno too. Make it all smooth!

Last edited:
i have used the JOES TLC KIT it worked okay, Slight pit of grinding but was less than an afternoons work.

I have also made my own and used 4Runner parts which I prefer .. especially using junkyard parts it is a lot cheaper..

What did you end up going with? I have a 73 as well, and I'm looking to convert over from drum to disc. Like you said...there are so many options out there.
Thanks!

Get the outer axel housings, and brakes from an FJ-62. Replace the axels and birfields with 30 spline drilled Longfields, and never worry about it again other than greasing.

I have a Man-a-Fre kit for the coarse spline birf front axles for sale - that set-up provided the best braking power to my 40 EVER

my switching to later model front outers was for reasons unrelated to brakes or stopping power, and now I can't use this kit anymore - I am willing to let it go for a very fair price (includes spare replacement brake pads that you can carry on the trail)

contact me in a private conversation if interested

We (Cruiser Outfitters) would love to help. We can offer a variety of solutions from parts to a complete hub to hub axle.

The easiest (lowest cost solution) is for you to source a 79-85 Toyota PU/4Runner or 9/75-1/1990 4x/5x/6x/7x axle and use those part and our provided parts to complete the conversion. We've sold and installed hundreds of disc brake conversions, we'd love to help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom