diff drain plug ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

we need a pic of the hex plugs on here please?

just curious how the part number was found .that number lists as a plug for (transfer chain case)
on a Scion,Matrix,Echo,corolla,celica,Avalon,Tercel,Lexus,Solara,Sienna,rav4
transfer chain case on a tercel ? what are they refering to ?

next time, try this stuff. it's pretty dang impressive
freeze.jpg

When you do get it off, install a hex head one from a newer Toyota.

90341-18021 Differential Drain Plug, Magnetic, 10mm allen ($2.03)

12157-10010 Differential Drain Plug Gasket: ($0.89)

You can't apply anywhere near as much loosening torque with an allen-key on an allen-key head (compared to using a socket on a hex-head).

Allen key heads easily round-off/strip-out in comparison.

So you'll never find me fitting allen-head drain plugs.

:beer:

You can't apply anywhere near as much loosening torque with an allen-key on an allen-key head (compared to using a socket on a hex-head).

Allen key heads easily round-off/strip-out in comparison.

So you'll never find me fitting allen-head drain plugs.

:beer:

X2 on this. If anyone has ever tried to drop the oil pan on an A4 Audi and had the allen bolts round off that are buried behind the flywheel, you will NEVER want another allen bolt where you have to put a lot of torque on it. The force exerted at the center of an allen bolt will never be as great as what you can apply to the circumference of the bolt head, but there seems to be enough exerted to round off the hole. I have assembled several Mercedes engines which use allens almost exclusively and not had any issues, but the Mercedes bolts seem to be of a very high quality. I only use allens (stainless) where they will look cool (with anti-seize) and not need a huge amount of clamping force, such as the 40's doors and hood hinges. There is a point, however, where the allen is so large that it would take an immense amount of force to round it, and I would guess that 22mm would be in that category, but if I had to bet which tool would break first when applying torque on a fastener, allen or 6 point bolt head, I would bet the allen socket would snap first.

X2 on this. If anyone has ever tried to drop the oil pan on an A4 Audi and had the allen bolts round off that are buried behind the flywheel, you will NEVER want another allen bolt where you have to put a lot of torque on it. The force exerted at the center of an allen bolt will never be as great as what you can apply to the circumference of the bolt head, but there seems to be enough exerted to round off the hole. I have assembled several Mercedes engines which use allens almost exclusively and not had any issues, but the Mercedes bolts seem to be of a very high quality. I only use allens (stainless) where they will look cool (with anti-seize) and not need a huge amount of clamping force, such as the 40's doors and hood hinges. There is a point, however, where the allen is so large that it would take an immense amount of force to round it, and I would guess that 22mm would be in that category, but if I had to bet which tool would break first when applying torque on a fastener, allen or 6 point bolt head, I would bet the allen socket would snap first.

you shouldn't be torquing the crap out of your drain/fill plugs. if you are, it's probably because it's leaking, which means you need to replace the crush washer, not tighten it more. i've never had an issue and i've been running the allen plugs for a couple of decades now. don't know anyone who's had an issue either. only issue i've ever seen was the plug walking out while pivoting on a rock for extended amounts of time, but i've also seen that happen with hex plugs

if your hex plug is overtightened, it's because someone could. they should be slapped

you shouldn't be torquing the **** out of your drain/fill plugs. if you are, it's probably because it's leaking, which means you need to replace the crush washer, not tighten it more. i've never had an issue and i've been running the allen plugs for a couple of decades now. don't know anyone who's had an issue either. only issue i've ever seen was the plug walking out while pivoting on a rock for extended amounts of time, but i've also seen that happen with hex plugs

if your hex plug is overtightened, it's because someone could. they should be slapped

That's all as true as can be. But the original poster was trying to loosen an allen that a previous gorilla overtightened. It's usually easier to put some torque on a hex head than an allen if the guy before you got carried away.

we need a pic of the hex plugs on here please?

just curious how the part number was found .that number lists as a plug for (transfer chain case)
on a Scion,Matrix,Echo,corolla,celica,Avalon,Tercel,Lexus,Solara,Sienna,rav4
transfer chain case on a tercel ? what are they refering to ?

That's the one I bought and it works. It is a plug from a newer Toyota.

0e29095f3867b1dc5363f57cf9ecb954_zpse65e682c.jpg

Last edited:
Just picked up my new hex plugs. The thing that made me want them is the fact that rubbing on a rock is not going to take off part of the plug I am torquing on. The protective collars on my diffs are beat up enough to make me concerned about this. I guess someone with a welder could add some metal to protect this, but I don't have easy access to one. Maybe the next time I am having something done.

Almost 7 years later... My rear diff plug got stuck and rounded off.

I have personal experience rounding off hex plugs on a 2011 LC (KDSS) that produced some creative cursing. Would prefer not to go through that again.

Are you guys still recommending a newer Hex Plug?

I'd use the stock plug with the 24mm head, and a 15/16" 6-point socket to tighten and loosen. The SAE socket fits the plug more snugly - it's 99.2% the size of the 24mm socket. I also grind the working end of the socket flush so there's no recess before the flats start.

Learned all this here on MUD, naturally!

I also really hate hex plugs. (this one was not a Toyota)

OBmdtPAl.jpg

Interesting socket. What is it called?

Gator Grip socket (or 'Multi-fit socket'). I think I bought it just for that particular drain plug. Dremeled that gash in it and the spring loaded pins caught it and voila

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom