destins 1964 fj40 FST restore thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Destin your project is going to be a blast. I'm trying to get through a rebuild of a 65 and it's going very slowly but it's still a lot of fun.

I noticed that on your rig you havea hole for an ash tray but no lighter. So I looked closer at mine and the hole for the lighter is definately PO or at least an enlargement of an OE hole. So my question is, Did the early cruisers have a cig. lighter as an option? or were they absent from this era.

Rod

As far as i know mine never had a cig lighter.
Mine does not have a hole for one at least :)

The 65 might have had one...
Can some one verify?

I def need to find a 1964 under the dash shots to see what holes i need to weld up as the PO had installed an aftermarket heater...

:D

Nice rig. When you take the tub off, can you take a picture or two of your engine firewall so I can see the OEM hole layout? I feel like my 63 has more holes then I know what to do with!:cheers:

firewall

I def need to find a 1964 under the dash shots to see what holes i need to weld up as the PO had installed an aftermarket heater...

:D[/QUOTE]

My 65 is a Feb./March edition. I will dig up a picture and post it tomorrow. It has an after market heater but I know exactly which holes are attributed to that.

Rod

firewall

Sorry about the poor photo. I know the five holes on the left are for the heater (aftermarket). The three smaller ones are mounting holes and the other two are for the hoses. All other holes are OE as far as I can tell.
firewall2.JPG

unless you find a clam shell teq they are all dealer installed heaters.

Even the clam shell I'm not sure of. I have one and not sure who installed it. Maybe a Toyota option that could be ordered. Funny has two round ports on the back for defrost hoses but not defrost vents in the windshield:confused: The one that destin is talking about seems to have been the most common dealer installed aftermarket heater. I have had at least three or more early cruiser with that heater. Johnton I think?

I'm now beginning to think the full four roller fairhead was a common dealer upgrade for the early single rolleron the PTO winch. The latest one I bought and another have the same fairhead installed. I would have to find it but I think some of the early lit showed it. I think it the picture of the cruiser by a lake and the guy is fishing. :cheers:

the guy standing by the lake fishing is a later cruiser. it doesn't have the windshield vent and it was probably one of the first cruiser to have the heater under the dash above the tranny hump.

before that I don't remember seeing any lit that showed heaters in them.

I always thought the 'Toyota' heaters started mid '65 with the '66 model year? Am I wrong?

the guy standing by the lake fishing is a later cruiser. it doesn't have the windshield vent and it was probably one of the first cruiser to have the heater under the dash above the tranny hump.

before that I don't remember seeing any lit that showed heaters in them.

I wasn't talking about the heater. I don't really remember any heaters in the lit. I was talking about the four roller fairhead for the winch. You can see it's a four roller fairhead but is doesn't have the rod support that runs along both side and then down to the back to the angle iron like they did from around 62 or 63. This also has the early bumper that was gone after the 61 model. The picture is just a touched up picture of earlier cruiser for a later year. Toyota seem to do that in the early years. The picture of the soft top jumping is the same way. Seen them with both style door opening but both had the early bumper. The heater in question seems to be the most common installed heater in the pre 65 land cruiser and was probably a dealer installed option. So it would be the most period correct heater. Maybe it was because Toyota was trying to get a foot hold in the US market in the early years so they wanted the few dealers they had to be able to sell more options to get them sold. The first years of the FJ40s Toyota had dropped the car line and was only holding on by the Land Cruiser. Those numbers were in the low hundreds. Toyota making a deal with a aftermarket heater manufacter to have a kit with instructions how to install available to the dealer just would make good sense. North American is a market that needed to have a heater available. Toyota didn't have the FJ40 setup for a heater until 65 when it became a option. In 66 it became standard in North America. Factory lit also shows Husky, Warn and Cutlass hubs as a dealer installed option. The one I still can't figure out is the factory lit showing the Ramsey PTO winch as a dealer installed option in the early FJ40. The Toyota winch was already available in FJ25 so why would you not try to push your own winch:confused:.

Thanks Dean thats one of the pictures I remember. The soft top only has the single fairhead but the hard top has the aftermarket four roller fairhead. Toyota never offered that style fairhead but here it is in a factory flyer. That bumper wasn't never used after 61 but it is shown in factory lit for years later.

gas tank questions :D

Any removal advice?
This will be my first time removing an gas tank....
I think I am going to have it relined internally as well.

Second part of the question...
Did the 1964 fj40 have a pewter colored tank stock? or body color?

Thanks guys :)

it's pretty straight forward, like much of the dis assembly of a 64. Mine is the color of the body.

X2 two on body color. By 68 they were black but I know 65 and older have always been body color on anything I've owned.

If it were me while it still in the vehicle I would loosen all the connections before I removed the two clamps holding it in place. I would also loosen the drain nut on the bottom. Even if you don't use it to drain the tank you will probably remove it sometime while it out. It's is the easiest way to drain the tank and get it completely empty.

X2 two on body color. By 68 they were black but I know 65 and older have always been body color on anything I've owned.

If it were me while it still in the vehicle I would loosen all the connections before I removed the two clamps holding it in place. I would also loosen the drain nut on the bottom. Even if you don't use it to drain the tank you will probably remove it sometime while it out. It's is the easiest way to drain the tank and get it completely empty.

Great thanks guys :)

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom