destins 1964 fj40 FST restore thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you have a hammer powered impact?

RICBW022900.jpg

It may be the ticket for your screws... :cheers:

All I have to say is that you really lucked out with your '64...she looks really freaken clean!!! :eek:

Be sure to find an original oil filter canister...that replacement thing has got to go :rolleyes:

Did you ever tell us what you paid for it...just curious.

Just curious, this may be obvious to some of you, but...why does your FST have the full size doors? Is it because it's a '64? My '63 FST has the smaller CJ5ish door openings.

I second the impact-driver suggestion. It's a screw driver that you hammer the end to loosen (or tighten) a screw. It'll save you from destroying a few screw drivers.

Dan

All I have to say is that you really lucked out with your '64...she looks really freaken clean!!! :eek:

Be sure to find an original oil filter canister...that replacement thing has got to go :rolleyes:

Did you ever tell us what you paid for it...just curious.

:D thanks man :)

I have the original oil canister , the PO sent it along :)
Gonna swap it out when i build it back up :D
Need to repaint it along with the oil bath filter.

Lets just say I got a really good deal on the cruiser :D
It is in a lot better shape than i thought it was when I bought it.

Just curious, this may be obvious to some of you, but...why does your FST have the full size doors? Is it because it's a '64? My '63 FST has the smaller CJ5ish door openings.

I second the impact-driver suggestion. It's a screw driver that you hammer the end to loosen (or tighten) a screw. It'll save you from destroying a few screw drivers.

Dan

I think it was 63 and below for the FST that had the rounded soft doors.
64 and up had the rounded square soft doors :D

Would the impact screw drivers just strip more screw heads though?
Seems like the power of it would just make mince meat out of the screw head s hehe :D

Just curious :D

Thanks guys!

You hit the end with a hammer and it turns, while at the same time the hammer blow is forcing the tool down on the screw. It's less likely to strip a stuck screw unless the screws are soft, but I doubt you have that problem. Should be less than $10.

I always have great luck with heat to get nuts/bolts loose. Heat up the head with a torch being careful to not melt it. Let it cool for a minute and they usually come right out.

ok some more dismantling today:

Still trying to figure out if there is a secret to pulling the steering wheel off.
Everything seems to be disconnected, but it seems pretty solidly in place...

Do i just need to tap it out with a hammer? A special tool?

3783212458_e4855db016_o.jpg

Most of the passenger side stuff removed, but man those defrost vent nuts are seized up!, sprayed and let them soak again :)

3783212824_45a22685e8_o.jpg

Removed the non stock heater :)
Looks like they cut a nasty hole in the firewall to get it to fit, will need to welf that up :) If any one has a factory heater for sale let me know :)

3782402967_75f584c092_o.jpg

front bumper off

3783212278_b2315368b4_b.jpg

any one know what this is?
Crank handle?

3782403319_6abf93902b_o.jpg

Still trying to figure out if there is a secret to pulling the steering wheel off.

3783212458_e4855db016_o.jpg

Most of the passenger side stuff removed, but man those defrost vent nuts are seized up!, sprayed and let them soak again :)

3783212824_45a22685e8_o.jpg

Removed the non stock heater :)
Looks like they cut a nasty hole in the firewall to get it to fit, will need to welf that up :) If any one has a factory heater for sale let me know :)

3782402967_75f584c092_o.jpg

front bumper off

3783212278_b2315368b4_b.jpg

any one know what this is?
Crank handle?

3782403319_6abf93902b_o.jpg

get a steering wheel puller at the local auto parts store.

I don't recognize the handle thingie but the clip if for the door safety strap and the large nut screws in the door straps on the a pillar.

I hear you about the heater...I think I should start looking for one of these as well; (let me know if you find more than one ;) )
1962 v.jpg

get a steering wheel puller at the local auto parts store.

I don't recognize the handle thingie but the clip if for the door safety strap and the large nut screws in the door straps on the a pillar.

sweet :)

I was not sure what that bolt was but i knew it was important :)
The other safety strap is pretty intact, but the driver side was pretty rotted away ( the canvas belt ) Going to repaint them with all the pewter bits and make new straps down the line I hope :D

I use a cheap puller I bought at Harbor Freight. Comes with both SAE and metric bolts. The other thing you csn try is put the nut back on until it's flush with the end of the thread. Then while someone pulls up hit the end of shaft. Sometimes the stock will break it loose. If you have a good steering wheel you don't want to mess anything trying to pull it.:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom